1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Competing in multiple sports?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Does anyone shoot competitively in another discipline aside from trap? I'm thinking of starting to shoot/compete in USPSA/Steel Challenge but was wondering if this would possibly have a negative effect on my trap shooting. For those that do compete in more than 1 shooting sports did you find it negatively affected your primary sport?

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you keep rifle/pistol/shotgun..that's fine.. but trap/skeet/bunker.. NO.. different progression of swing.. Trap and skeet..maybe..

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No problem, I shoot steel plates all the time. HMB

4. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

I shot NRA High Power Service Rifle for years.
    You simply change guns, ammo and vests.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It depends on your reflexes and mental ability. I have a friend that use to shoot professional archery (factory shooter). He now shoots trap and Sporting, and can turn it on or off depending on the game. I shoot, trap, Skeet, Sporting, occasional bunker, pistol, and archery. So does my son. Bunker (at Cardinal) is the only game we don't shoot competitively. Not a big deal.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Basically no problem, but I had a little problem adjusting from 90/10 trap guns to 60/40 Sporting guns.

Trap is the only game I had 90/10 guns, that messed up all my other sports. Now I use only 60/40 guns with the same weight in every disciplines solved the problem (for me). If I don't mind the weight, I can even hunt with my Sporting guns.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

How can it possibly hurt? USPSA & steel matches are great stuff. Anything that makes you learn to stay in the present tense while using your eyes and hands together on the gun cannot possibly hurt anything.

And I think these types of shooting are great for clubs financially. Most areas have a steady stream of people who want to learn to shoot their handguns better. Our club has one steel shoot per month, and with 70 shooters attending paying $10 per gun entry, we make $1,000 profit per shoot (the targets are reuseable, so we're not pizzing away half the money buying birds). The average age of competitors is much younger, too.

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

" If you keep rifle/pistol/shotgun..that's fine.. but trap/skeet/bunker.. NO.. different progression of swing.. Trap and skeet..maybe.. "

That's what I was thinking but wanted to see if others shared the same thought. I was thinking about going the skeet route but figured it would probably be best to stay away from another shotgun game.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Most of the problems revolve around time. I like to shoot F-class rifle. But, finding time to travel and shoot both Trap and Competition Rifle is hard to do. As well as costly.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

When I was active in the steel plate game, most of my spare time and money went into making pistol ammo and then burning it up in frequent practice sessions. Then I got into the trap game and found that I really couldn't do both sports well. I just didn't have the time or money. So I quit the pistol games and just stuck to shotgunning.

You may be able to juggle two sports sucessfully but It is going to be very difficult to reach your full potential in either sport if you aren't able to give it your full attention.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I agree with the above shooters, shoot a 60/40 gun for everything and I also shoot all three shotgun sports. I only focus on one at a time during the full year. Though I will shoot some fun targets in the other two here and there with some friends from time to time during the year. If I don't reach the goal I am looking for that year I will give it anther year to work on it. So Shoot all three and have 3 times the fun as one. Break-em all. Jeff

12. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Shooting steel is a blast. Same theory, concentration and maintain form. A shooter I respect told me that shooting sporting clays, skeet or anything else is good to do. Work on gun pointing and seeing unusual targets. i.e when the wind grabs that hard left and gives you a screaming low target. Makes alot of sense to me. As said earlier, time is what made me give up pistol. Perhaps one day I'll go back to it, but maybe not. HJH

13. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Right now I have excess time on my hands so I figure that steel shooting will be something to do when I'm not shooting trap.

14. The Stive

The Stive Member

I am a trapshooter. I have tried the skeet game and I like it. I have shot in a few registered skeet events this year. I will continue to shoot more trap
    in this new target year. I will work in more skeet events into my shooting calendar. Shoot more than one disipline, and have fun. John

15. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

how do you adjust your gun from a 90/ 10 to say a 80/ 20

16. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I started out in competitive shooting at The Steel Challenge. Then shot USPSA inc multigun/ 3 gun stuff before shooting trap.

I switched to trap because I found that I did not have enough time to practice and was only shooting matches. With trap, I can get in 2 rounds every day if I like as the range is on the home from work.

I don't think that it will cause you any trouble at all.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

WHat I think you need to decide is at what level you hope to acheive in a given discipline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.