1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparison of S&W 66 and 68?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I picked up two model 66's, one a four inch and the other a six inch. I paid $250.00 each for them which to me was a good deal. What I wondered was why my 68 is so much higher in value? The four inch 66 has been tricked out, super trigger and I had rather shoot it than my 68. Why such a difference as the 68 has twice the book value. Jackie B.

2. Shooting Jack

It was also used by Georgia State Patrol and mine has that engraved on it. Jackie B.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Helluva deal on the two.

I use my 6" 66-1 for indoor PPC competition.

shoots lights out and I like it better than any of the "L" frames.

The model 68 was also a .38 special revolver, not .357 magnum..

4. Shooting Jack

Rgr that BigM. I also have a 66 that was a Georgia State Patrol pistol. I don't know what year the GSP switched over from the 38 to the 357 but I was lucky to get one of each. An acquaintance received a number of guns several years ago when his fathers best friend died. He decided to sell a bunch of them to me at really good prices, that he set. Several Smiths, several German pistols, and a couple of rifles. Oh and a little Smith 38 detective, which I love. I just don't get the difference in value on the 66 and 68. Jackie B.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

well, the 68 is a unique firearm specifically manufactured by S&W for a limited period of time, one year, for specific LE Agencies. Some later made for commemoratives.

It was basically the model 66 with a 6" shrouded barrel and a model 67 cylinder.

so, it's uniqueness is it's value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.