1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparison of gun calibers explained to the public

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

This was a pretty good video that I feel if lots more people saw it there would be less apprehension about the AR rifles. Jackie B.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

After watching that, the antigun crowd will be wanting to ban those big bad shotguns instead. Much more devastating destruction from a 12 gauge. Mark

3. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

This is a good comparson.

I was suprised that the shooter called the forearm grip the pistol grip and the the gun with absolutely 'no recoil' pushed her shoulder back several inches :)

js in PA

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

The video showed nothing except that some guns shoot ammo that makes bigger holes than other ammo.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It should please the people who want to ban everything.

HM

6. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Another member of TS PM'd me, politely, and pointed out that some pending gun control legislation in IL identifies a protruding forward grip as a pistol grip, and therefor Duff is correct.

This may be what Duff is referencing when she calls the forward grip, a pistol grip, in the video.

Certainly the wording of such legislation is not the typical use of "pistol grip" or accurate referencing of the actual (known) pistol grip of a long arm.

Or, is it?

I have always been taught that the grip adjacent to and behind the trigger is the pistol grip and any other grip is not the pistol grip. It might be a forward grip, the other grip, the forearm, etc.

Should we acquiesce and allow legistors such latitide? A forward grip is not a pistol grip, even if legislation (mistakenly) calls it that, or so I thought.

My opinion was that that Duff is wrong and any legislation so worded is also wrong. Re-definition of a word or gun part does not become accurate just because it is in a regulation.

Now that said, I looked up the AR 15 schematic and right there as part #72 was the forward grip called...a pistol grip.

http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/Schematics~AR15

So, I learned that I was wrong & I admit it. I don't like it, but if the manufacturer calls it a pistol grip, I guess they have changed the (previous) definition.

Was Shakespeare also wrong?

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet"

Maybe that's not true any more either. Can we get away with a dozen carnations on Valentine's Day now?

JS in PA

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I am glad the Libs don't watch Hannity as this would further their cause wanting to ban shotguns and hunting rifles.

8. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

"See folks, this .223 rifle just makes a little hole." I don't think this video helps our cause at all and could even be used to demand more restrictions. Have her open up on that target with a semi-auto 12 ga and see what John Q. Public has to say then.

9. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I wish she'd left her shotgun at home when that video was made. I was reminded of Archie Bunker and his pro-gun speech on TV. It probably did more harm than good.

BB

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

Actually I have the same request from the same guy saying that I am wrong about the pistol grip being the standard AR feature behind the trigger when I brought this up on another thread.

The forward grip is a forward pistol grip.

The grip behind the trigger is also a pistol grip. The old assault weapon ban that required any two itemized features to meet the definition of an AR included a 'pistol grip.' The standard behind the trigger grip was/is a pistol grip and is counted as an AR feature.

So I think that she was not wrong calling the forward pistol grip a pistol grip - she wasn't totally right either- the grip she indicated isn't 'the pistol grip' it is 'a pistol grip'

fwiw

The lesson here is bad legislation is bad legislation.

11. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

While you fools argue with grips and holes and vocabulary I on the other hand am working feverishly to get her to give me private lessons in both HUUUH Lee

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well personally I think the information in this video better explains a lot of things.

Of coures he isn't as good looking as she is but when it comes right down to second amendments what dolooks have to do with it.

Bob Lawless

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-c_LHY4B2Ic?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

guncalibers explained