1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparison of barrel work ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pfofml, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfofml

pfofml Member

It is not the intent of this thread to compare one person's barrel work to another's work. I accept that reworked barrels have their merits. It is my understanding that reworking of barrels involves alterations to the forcing cone, bore diameter, and the choke. I do not wish to address the issue of porting.

This is my question; Upon qualitative analysis of the barrel, and without shooting the same, is it possible to render a judgment regarding a barrel's shooting performance?

Peter Falk III

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you really want to keep this qualitative, that is, looking it over, measuring here and there, in hopes of calling this one better than that, I doubt you will get anywhere using that route exclusively. But I do have one with a measurably uneven backbore job - worse than I used to do - and patterning may show it to be worse in performance as well, but my personal bet is that it will turn out to be no different than most of the "good" ones. Only a bet, you understand.

If you will accept one measure as "performance" then you can do it, Peter - as long as high performance is taken to mean high pellet count. Evenness, lack of holes, shot string, all that stuff: I don't think it can be done. One thing's for sure: you have to shoot at least ten patterns and count the pellets, you can't tell "by eye" at all.

One of the claims is that pellets from the outsideare brought inward - "flyers" put back into the pattern, if you will - and though I haven't tested them all (though I now have them) I haven't seen that done yet.

Neil

3. pfofml

pfofml Member

Neil, thank you for your comments. Your statement pretty much sums up my expectations of evaluating reworked barrel performance I held when this thread was posted.

Peter

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I do not know how one can figure if the barrel will shot better without shooting it [which I think is your question]. I just had my single barrel worked this year, I know it was shot and re-done and shot some more during the work process. Even though I am not a pellet counter, I can tell you that this gun which I have shot for 14 years has NEVER broke targets like it does now. With less felt recoil. As for performance, I hope that Phil Kiner is right in the fact that more smoke should leed to more borken targets. This year I finnished at 97.0 16yd, 97.4 the year past, my all time high 98.3, We will see what next year brings.

GS

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I know for fact that a botched forcing cone job will deteriorate a shotguns pattern a lot. It's suprising how much it hurts a pattern too as gassses get by the wads base. Hap

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- I have shared your experience with forcing cones. Lengthening the forcing cone is a job that actually changes the angle of the cone causing it to be slightly longer. If the cone comes out other than symmetrical with the bore, bad things happen.

Pat Ireland

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

don't spend money to alter your shotgun in any way. removing metal from your barrels has just got to weaken them, regardless of what the so called "barrelsmiths" say. trapshooters don't like to shoot a gun right out of the box as they do not think the factories know what they are doing.

8. dawg

dawg TS Member

I had mine done because the knucklehead that I got it from had it reemed out to .026. Granted I did shoot it well at 16s with a few 100 straights and Ok from handicap. I think I was around 23 or 24 yd line then. I sent it to Wilkinson and went right on back to the 27 in no time. He redone it to .034. If it did anything good it was my confidence level in knowing my pattern was full and smoking targets. Besides all those All Americans that use him can't be wrong.

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

If we go to a 30 yard line in handicap, the barrel guys will be very popular. AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.