1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparison of AIM/SCTP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jevoliva, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I am compiling my chart of comparison between AIM and SCTP and I am still finding a bunch of holes for the SCTP side. I have sent an e-mail to the address listed on the SCTP site reuqesting more information. The e-mail is copied below. I will post whatever I receive and then my final comparison between the two programs when I get the information.

To whom it may concern:

I am the President of the Indiana Trapshooters Association and our BOD will be meeting tomorrow. One of the topics of discussion will be which youth shooting program will the ITA support during it’s state shoot: AIM or SCTP. I am compiling a list of differences between the two programs and unfortunately, I am coming up with several holes for the SCTP program. If you could provide additional information on the following points, it would be appreciated. Time is of the essence as we are on a deadline for printing our state shoot programs and currently do not have another BOD meeting planned before that deadline comes up. Bottom line, we will be deciding which program to back tomorrow.

- Will there be a fee for the background checks required by your organization?
    - Will NGB membership be required?
    - Will NGB registered targets be required and if so, how many will be required?
    - Will reloads be allowed?
    - What will be the participant registration fee?
    - Where will the national championships for American Trap be held at?
    - Will there be requirements of the coaching staff to complete any sort of coaching school and if so, what will be the costs?
    - Where does the registration money for the participants go (i.e. scholarship, awards, etc) and how much of their registration fee will go to these items?

Sincerely,

John Voliva

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Sure the hell didn't give them much of an opportunity to respond ...

Support the SCTP this year and make your decision on what to support next year. SCTP is a already established program, maybe not the best program out there but it is already established. See where AIM is at the end of the shooting season and then decide for next year.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i agree- i am still in the dark on why sctp has a registered shooter requirement but that is another discussion. but ask yourself- a true ata shooter will lean towords their own organization and its efforts! without starting a rucuss here-- why didnt ata come forward and offer to nssf to take over the nation wide sctp program?

4. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

acss. The ATA did offer to take over the SCTP and was turned down.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE; sctp has a registered shooter requirement

Do they?

RE: The ATA did offer to take over the SCTP and was turned down.

I think not the case

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

As a parent of an SCTP shooter I am just about in tears watching this entire thing unravel.

I see no winners in this deal, lets make it worse, the loosers are our kids and our future sportsmen and women.

Having worked in motorsports for several years I watched as open wheel racing split into two divided groups with only fundamental differences in their beliefs. This split ended up costing millions of dollars and millions of fans. Now that they realized they could not co-exist as two weak, nonprofitable organizations they have merged back together. But it is too late and they have lost 100 years of growth.

SCTP, AIM and other organizations that will separate from it and do their "own thing" are headed to for a painful, slow existence and the only loosers are our children. When/if they do finally agree to work together, fifty percent of the momentum that has been gained in last couple years will be gone.

Add to that some of the anticipated policies of the incoming administration and we should all fear for the future of shooting sports.

Sad..... really sad. SW

7. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

A coach for my son put it very well I think when he said (I have editorialized our conversation, but you will get the drift) that if we value the legacy that we leave to our youth then we should align what they learn in any youth program with what they will experience when they grow into adult shooters. Accordingly, any youth program fitting this model will form alliances with the formal governing and rules bodies for adult shooters. Specifially for trap this means the ATA. Branching away and not seeking help, guidance, support and assistance from the ATA is not consistent with the legacy that most shooters want to leave their children.

This coach was and is willing to support both AIM and the SCTP, but believes that the SCTP may be in trouble because of the above direction.

Cheers, Jim Callan

8. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Joe, may I ask why you think not the case?

9. acss

i think everyone shud go to the neb.cornhusker highschool trapshoot, open to any youth . held in may-- go see how a true youth shoot is held in the spirit of which mr callen's post refers to!!!!

10. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

ACSS...Mr Callan (Thanks for the respect, but it makes me feel old) seeks only the best for the youth. There has not yet been a perfect idea in the same way that there has not yet been a perfect hamburger that could not be improved upon. Nebraska produces some excellent youth shooters...as does Tennessee (from what I hear about the Grand last year). Being from neither state, I would like to see what is in their secret sauces. (Practice I suspect ;-)

Kidding aside, I am certain that the organizers of both the SCTP and AIM would welcome ways to improve both programs. Having two provides kids multiple outlets, but having two could split and dilute attention from either. (On the other hand, having two may be a good idea to promote league competitions and make shooters from both even stronger. Sort of like football.)

If the interest in supporting the youth programs and youth shooters that I seen in adults in all the shoots that I have attended is any indication...the adult shooters will support any and all that can organize to support, promote and teach the sport to the youth.

11. McD

McD TS Member

It has become very apparent that the NSSF intrusted the SCTP program prior to seeing a full operating plan in place. If this statement is in error, then I would ask why are we all waiting for any type of detail from 3SF? The AIM program is in place, with a rule book that all ATA shooters are governed through and the assurance that the organization is going to be there to support all youth in the sport of trapshooting. AIM is not excluding any other youth organization from competing, but rather, they are to be encouraged to do so. Competitors from grade school thru college now have another avenue to develope as individuals as well as team members, excel in school and compete with others that share in their desire to be the "best they can be". Do not fault the ATA for trying to protect our youth from the void in the SCTP/SSSF's missing policy and passing of control to an unknown entity. The minutes of the ATA EC meetings clearly indicate that the NSSF refused the ATA offer to manage the SCTP without explanation or suggestion of what they wanted. In a perfect world the ATA would of been only the first of the three governing bodies to jointly direct the SCTP with merged dollars and facilities. As it is, I applaud the efforts of the ATA to ensure that the youth who wish to compete and come to the Grand for a true national championship can do just that.
    Keep up your good work with our young shooters, Jim McDiffett.

12. acss

mr charles- why has the sctp program been so team driven? if a kid doesnt get all team members committed or "they" dont win, then what? i agree totally about the purpouse of team work but its hard to get 5 together who will stay together! so a youth shooter gets his or her best score at the state or nat. or maybe has the high for the day! and they look at me and say-- "buy i won -didnt i?" when you have basketball championships individuals are recognized as the all conferance or all state team placements?

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Instead of promoting the sport like the SCTP organization has, very, very successfully, the ATA just tried to steal the eggs from someone elses basket and put them in theirs. Pathetic and unsportsmanslike.

14. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Barry, Unless you know the whole story of why AIM was developed, I feel you are speaking out of turn. You have always been one who said wait until you get all the facts before forming an opinion. I don't feel you have done that this time. Respectfully, Roland King

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.