1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparing Browning Broadway to newer GTI's?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi guys..I'm sure those who have read my thread replies know I really love Plus guns and GTIs....I have long admired the old Broadways and plan to get one someday should the op arise on a nice one when I also happen to have the money at the time ,..am wondering for those who own or owned or shot both enough to make a really valid comparison..to let me know how the Broadways shoot versus the GTI...points like recoil..swingability/balance..just everything you find good/bad..similiar /dissimiliar...I have a pair of 32" GTI's and my best doubles scores as well as Sporting clays scores have come with these guns...let'er rip with your thoughts

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The Broadway Superposed was near the pinnacle in its day, but now it's dated and, by modern standards, it is unnecesarily complex from a mechanical/repair standpoint.

GTIs seem fine but I'll never understand the Plus guns -- that facory recoil system is horrible, unreliable, and not easy to fix or cleanly replace. JMHO.

-Gary

3. mark54

mark54 Member

I have both, a '63 Broadway, which I bought new, & a GTI with the gold lettering. The Broadway is way above the GTI in fit & finish,but that is to be expected. The Broadway shoots 70/30 & the GTI 60/40 at the best, for me. I use the GTI for skeet & hunting.

Mark54 in Lititz

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

A Broadway that shoots 70/30? That's a keeper.

-Gary

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

No comparison. The Broadway is a much better gun than a GTI

6. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

Maybe I am dated by todays standards,but the Boradway is still the best.

Fifteen two and a pair is four

Bill

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Suerposed vs. Citori... Superposed also had better balance... really like that massive rib...

Jay

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If I were a collector I would get a Superposed but as a Shooter I would get the Citori.

9. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I've had several Broadways over the years, still my favorite gun. No other gun locks up with the sound of a Broadway.

BB

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

You can't compare a Superposed with a Citori. I have been shooting a Superposed ST-100 for 32 years. It has adjustable POI, was WAAAAY before it's time and murders doubles targets. I just got a new locking block installed so it's good for another lifetime. I will shoot it until I'm done.

Ron Burr

11. CalvinMD

I've never had the chance to handle a broadway but know I love that wide bridge style rib on my GTIs..the stone reliability and also the way it murders targets in SC and doubles just make it a joy to shoot,..I've even toyed with the idea of getting a Monte Carlo parallel adj comb stock made up so as to make the 32" gun I use more of a dedicated trap gun...keep your thoughts coming

12. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

The superposed is great in everyway. If you don't like the Broadway rib,
    don't forget the Lightning Trap. It has a narrow rib.

13. CalvinMD

Does anybody remember offhand a year/model of Citori trap that had both a short tang and fairly low rib and monte carlo stock...thought about just trying a Special trap edition buttstock to get a parallel MC comb setup but dont want to have to take any wood off the comb from it being too high?

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Modern day manufacturing techniques have changed since FN Brownings were leading the parade, there is far less handwork and a great deal more computer driven machining, shaping and coating in gun manufacturing along with changes in raw materials. These changes in many ways are for the better offering livelier dynamics, better resistance to the environment while keeping a good quality gun affordable.

No question the feel of a handworked gun like the Broadways or the Daly's for that matter have a certain feel and look that makes up the history of shotgunning and like many I love shooting them. Neither technology outstrips the other, but if could only have one gun, I would choose the GTI because of what modern technolgy brings to the game.

Surfer

15. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

TTT, Interesting thread

16. CalvinMD

I been thinking the same thing surfer..not seen anything that says a Superposed is heads an tails better in fitting or finish(from the ones I've owned and others I've handled)..both excellent but slightly different guns

17. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I own both.IMHO the Broadway swings and points much better.The Citori, for some reason,feels like swinging an ironing board.The Broadway seems more responsive but not whippy.Broadway makes a good live bird gun.

Darr

18. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

They are choked very tight, but what do I know. Never seen many at live bird shoots.

19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Thirty or so years ago FN Browning Superposed's and Broadway's were common at the pigeon rings. In fact one the more consistent winners who shot stateside and abroad shot a Broadway, he had been shooting one since he was a Kid. People in the game know whom I'm speaking of.

Surfer

20. CalvinMD

Am planning for a breazy tomorrow evening at Oxford...taking the 32" GTI because it makes short work of sporty targets ...might still get a broadway one day if the op comes on a nice one when my wallet aint full of moths

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.