1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Compare 90T to a BT99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mcurry2507, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

I was wondering how the two cmopared to each other. I have shot quite a few BT99s but i am a Rem fan and i like the looks and feel of the 90T. big price diff but what about reliability. And ive never shot a 90T. I'll probly be picking one of the two up for too long.
    thanks! Mike.

2. Evans Diesel Performance

Evans Diesel Performance TS Member

Mike Trust me The 90 T is 10X the gun the BT 99 or 100 is, The 90 T was built by Kolar and are one of the strongest toughest trap guns to this day. Thats why there so much n price difference.

3. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

GOOD! I just sold my XT and ive been shooting my 870TC through the winter, so reliabilty was a big concern for this summers rounds. I loved my XT but for some reason Rem has always had my faith and heart lol. thanks!

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

You won't be sorry with a 90T.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

90T=Mercedes BT99=Yugo

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Sorry---but what is the 90T?---any pics---SJB---

7. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

I've had both and believe you me the 90T is a proformer. If your a flat shooter then get the low rib gun and cover it. Its smoke all the way. Tim

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Was EVERY 90-T built by Kolar, or just certain years?

-Gary

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

mcurry2507:

BT-99s and 90-Ts are both single barrel break open trap guns. That's about the end of the comparison.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with BT-99's but a 90-T is far more gun.

GW22:

Kolar built them all.

sissy

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Kolar built all the 90T's

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Maybe I am in the minority here, but for the money I feel you can not beat a BT99. Plain and simple this gun is a work horse. The popularity of this gun is second to none. Comparing these two fine guns is like comparing apples to oranges. Although, I have never personally owned a 90T, I have numerous friends that shoot them, and I have shot them a few times myself. From the break downs that my friends have had that I know about, I would have to say that I would take the BT99 over the 90T for reliability.
    Steve Balistreri

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Any 90T that I ever tried felt like a fence post & swung the same way....BT-99 for me.

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've owned both also. It's hard to beat the BT99 for price and durability, I'm sure with proper maintenance it'll last you tens of thousands of rounds with out a problem.
    Now the 90T in my opinion is a step up or two from the BT99. I think the tolerances are a little better, the drop out trigger is a big plus and the service from either Kolar or Doug Baker, if needed, will far surpass what you'd get from Browning. If the BT99 is good for ten's of thousands of rounds, then you can add another 0 to that number for the 90T.
    I sold my BT99 but kept my 90T.

14. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I think you will like a 90T, I have only shot trap since 2004,but I have a couple of HPAR 90T's and the ajustable comb and rib have helped me a lot. I have shot with a lot of Browning shooters and the main complaint is the pounding they take on their cheeks. I don't know if it is lack of weight, wrong pitch or the angle the barrel lines up with the reciever. A lot of days we shot 400 targets and I can honestly tell I never felt any discomfort on my cheek.
    I think if you buy a 90T try to look for a later model that doesn't have a jillion rounds shot through it. I would also have Kolar or Doug check it out and have the forearm update and if its a older one, the locking bolt might need redone. I also recomend you take out the trigger and take the c-clips off the shaft that hold the hammer and throw them away, they break and fall into the trigger. John #8703697

15. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

This is exactly the info I was looking for! All my previous guns have been fairly flat shooters so I jacked the combs up on them. I might try a few high ribs at my club to see if i want the HPAR model. Thanks everybody! Mike.

16. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I've had several of both and either one will serve you well.

BB

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

When a gun is discontinued,there is usually a reason. I think they still make the Browning. I am the 3rd. owner on the older style BT 99 I shoot.I have shot many, many 1 1/2--1 3/8-- 1 1/4 hot loads + many registered. When I reload shells with powder & live primers,it has yet to let me down. Wow,I hope I didn't jinx it. I'm sure the 90T is a reliable arm,too heavy and cumbersome for me. Clyde D

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The reason the 90T was discontinued is because it was too expensive to have manufactured for Remington. Closest thing would be the Kolar TS, which retails for 3-4x what you could buy a NIB 90T for.

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

1oldtimer and all:

I have nothing bad to say about BT-99s. A BT-99 took me to a double A singles average and the 27 yard line. That said, I've shot a low rib since Dec. 1997. 90-Ts are without question, better built guns.

For anyone that isn't familiar, 90-Ts are heavy. Some folks (slight of build, short on stamina or upper body strength, health issues, etc.) can't handle the weight. Other folks simply prefer a lighter gun.

It is absolutely true that 90-Ts have a couple of easily resolved quirks. "C" clips in the trigger (they're actually "E" clips) is one of those quirks.

As for discontinuation...

You may recall the BT-99 was discontinued for a time. Browning's close out coincided with one year's Grand. I don't remember the year but a person could purchase as many as they wished at $795 a copy. More than a few folks hauled them out by the arm load. I'm sure Browning had a reason...

I believe it's fair to say Remington intended the 90-T to complete with higher dollar target guns as opposed to BT-99s.

IMO, the Remington brand name was and remains associated with lower dollar guns like 870s and 1100/1187s. As I recall (subject to correction) low ribs were priced about $2700. Hi ribs were $600 or $700 more. Shooters weren't willing to pony up that kind of money for something that said "Remington" on it. I was one of those people. However, I pounced on a new low rib for $1640 and a new hi rib for $2295 during their close out.

The bottom line? Remington wasn't selling enough units at their chosen price point so 90-Ts were discontinued.

sissy

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

What is meant by better built in a gun? Better built than what? Do they have independent testing to prove this gun is better built than that gun. Does high cost mean that gun is better because it cost more. Why does Perazzi furnish tool kits with their guns? I know some experts out there can tell me. Clyde D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt vs 90t

browning bt-100 vs remington 90t

browning kolar bt 90 shotgun

remington 90t vs browning bt 99

remington 90t vs browning bt-100