1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparasion of Bbl, German, Itilian, American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I would like the following Bbl comparasion of Kolar, Caesar Guerini, Kreighoff.
    Blaser, Beretta, Silver Seitz, Bowen, Perazzi, Ljutic, Browning, SKB,just using one Bbl length 34"inch.

Factory untouched dimensions only.

OD of the Bbls, ID of Bbls by the inch of Chambers to muzzle in fixed choke and choke tubed Bbls, Which would include the chamber, forcing cones to Bbl bore, all the way to the muzzle. Including dimensions of the choke tubes and how much paralell there is in the tubes if any.

I think If we could see those dimensions we could see how the Bbls patterns perform.

It would require a 34-36" Bbl Mic and in thousandths not metric.

I will post as much of these dimensions as I can with the Bore mic I am borrowing and show choke tube dimensions of the X-Full,Full, Im mod, Mod, IC, and Lt Full if I have one.

If others could do this w/their Bbls of their gun it would be appreciated

I would like to enter these dimensions in a log that I will start.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pay rate for this service?

3. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I like the project you have here Gary, good luck!

ps - I think a standard 18" bore mic like we all have should work... Can't you just measure and read once from the muzzle and again from the chamber?

Sportshot.

(the payoff is knowledge Big M)

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Gary, you wrote

"I think If we could see those dimensions we could see how the Bbls patterns perform."

and that's the problem. You are not asking for any performance data. Without that, and let's face it, virtually no one has it in the volume (ten shots at a measured 40 yards) that would tell you anything, you will _never_ know how they perform and so all that work is basically wasted.

I hope you get some data anyway. What better to do in the winter than sort through numbers when you can't shoot?

Neil

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Gary,

That's a lot of information with exponential variables but it might be useful to see if any new trends are being established; things we don't already know such as over bore, long tapered cones, so on.

The factories actually do put in a lot of testing.

We might find who's the latest to "discover" the taper bore of Uncle Dan LeFever.

Regards, GAP

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get busy. See you next spring. Bulge.

7. Dr.Longshot

My biggest thing would be the taper in the Bbls by different Mfgrs and straight thru if any in the factory full choke Bbls.

Am going to borrow my buddies bore mic and do several local guns at the club and take my notebook with me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've never seen a 34-36" bore mic.

9. racer

racer TS Member

Some one fill in the blanks for me- wasn't there a trap gun on the market that had grooves in the barrel running parallel with the bore? Ruger maybe? Dan

10. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Dr. Longshot, How would you measure a barrelbulge?

Probably with sedation! Film at eleven!

betcha two ta one that the 'german' barrels measure better! Winston can referee.

And seriously- good luck with your winter work. TM

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

And it proves what??

It helps shooters how??

Strokes whose ego?

Don

12. Dr.Longshot

Here are the Specs of my Blaser Bbls, Chamber is .813 now just before the forcing cones the Bbl gets tighter to .805 at the end of the forcing cone the
    Bbl is .738 the forcing cones reduce .067 over 2.175 inches. The bore is .738 all the way through to where choke tubes begin, then opens to .742 the full choke constriction is .702 so I have .036 restriction for full choke. The paralell or straight through is 1 inch, The Extra-Full choke tube measures .695
    and gives .043 constriction w/ 1 inch paralell. The Improved Modified measures
    .712 and gives .026 constriction w 1 inch paralell.

The over under Bbls checked as follows, Over Bbl was .732 and the under Bbl was .734 bores were straight through on 32"inch Bbls

The choke tubes are 2.75"inches long and all are Factory Briley tubes marked as
    BLEI:5/4 KEIN STAHL The paralell seems to make the chokes patterns more effective.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Gary, you don't have the length of choke, so 1" parallel means nothing. And is the 1" parallel the overbore .742" or the choke .702" ?

Wayne

14. Dr.Longshot

I would like to see Un touched Perazzi Bbl as well as others measurements compared to the Blaser Bbl 34" unsingle w/choke tubes.

Silver Seitz

Kolar

Beretta Etc.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

racer,

Hastings made a Wad Lock barrel with the groves you mention. I have a left hand 870 with a 36" WD II barrel. Marc

16. Dr.Longshot

Could someone with Perazzi, Seitz, Alferman, Kreighoff etc post their Bbl measurements for comparasion?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are looking for the best barrel measurements that will give you the best performance, all you have to do is measure a barrel that TW has worked on. His barrel profile is the best. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.