1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

comp-n-choke- longest and what is length?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

is comp-n-choke the longest extended choke you can buy? Also, what is the length of the extension?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'd say that they are open today. Just call them and get your info first hand.

ss

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Pure Gold chokes add 1 3/4" to the length of the barrel. You will not be happy with Comp-n-chokes because after 100 rounds the end of your gun and the bead look like you stuck your barrel into a pile of dirt!

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ian.. I know where you're trying to go.. Have someone make you the tube you want.. and long thread the tube so you can use a threaded locknut with a set screw.. Then the extention will work in all guns with the same thread..

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why worry about that trivial amount of added barrel length? If you want the best choke get a Wrights. If you need barrel length get a longer barrel.---Matt

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Comp-N-Choke brand chokes add 1 3/4" past the end of the barrel. They throw really great patterns but they are a true pain in the ass to clean.

7. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I have the gold Comp-N-Choke tubes and they are indeed about 1 3/4" in length. Put a light coat of grease on them before you shoot and the dirt pretty much wipes off. To deep clean every now and then, soak them in Hoppes or break cleaner and the clean up is not too bad.

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Been shooting the Kicks (same as comp n choke) chokes since 1995 and have never felt the need to clean them. Choke clean up is as easy as dropping the tubes in a jar of slip 2000 over night but then again i never clean them. And yes the Pure Gold chokes are longer by about 1/4".

9. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

It takes about 5 minutes to clean a comp n choke. After soaking in a suitable solution, I brush, then use a rounded toothpick to clean the ports of plastic, brush again, rinse, and dry.

The effort is well worth the pattern's devastating effect on targets.

Thank you,
    Longshooter

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think you can "long thread" the tube and get alignment without possibly leaving a gap at the back of the choke tube- not a good think

Now what could be possible is to get a long choke tube and "index it" -- ie mark where it is top dead center on a given gun- and then silver solder a rib on- but you arent going to do that with a ported choke tube- and it wont be indexed to more than that gun

I know what you are trying to do also-- did Briley not make that barrel extension any longer?

11. skeet_man

I have an email into comp-n-choke seeing if they can make me a custom choke, as I already know they can make chokes for the kolar .750 bore gun, and their regular chokes are pretty close to what i'd need. It looks like I may be able to get away w/ one of their std chokes if I can just get it unported. If I don't hear back via email shortly, i'll give them a call next week, don't have too much time during business hours this week anyways. I imagine that if I do get this made, no one would ever want to buy it if I lost interest in it anyways, so i'm not too worried about having it index to more than 1 gun. I just always wanted to try 32" barrels, and think I can get the barrel extension made for a hundred bucks or so plus a little bit of time and effort on my part, vs $4200 for a new barrel and $1600 for a new set of subgauge tubes just to try something out (and this will be a touch lighter as well, the best of both worlds, the sight plane of 32 but the swing characteristics of the 30).

Claudio @ Briley said they experienced difficulty making their barrel extensions, and that they no longer make them (probably not enough demand or profit to bother with them), so it looks like i'm on my own. Seems pretty straightforward to put the rib section on the choke, just need to get the choke itself... I'm guessing if I can make this a reality, others may be interested in something along these lines as well...

12. skeet_man

Unfortunately pure gold doesn't make chokes for my gun (they do for the kolar .740 bore gun, but not the .750).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley barrel extension swing
cleaning com-n-choke tubes
comp choke

comp n choke vs kicks

comp-n-choke vs pure gold
kicks vs comp n choke
longest choke tubes
puregold choke length