1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Common wood

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by James.c, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James.c

James.c Member

Hey i was just looking at some blanks and was thinking about going out to my freinds farm and possibly cutting one out. I was wondering what kinds of common wood would possibly have nice grain. also whats involved with drying wood. thanks

James.C

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

James- Walnut is my favorite wood. Blanks cut from a large crotch should, but not always, have nice figure. I like blanks cut from trees that grew very slow (dry environment). The wood is denser.

Drying is a long process. The ends of the logs should be coated with something (heavy paint, wax etc.) for about 1 year before the blanks are cut. The end of the blanks should then be coated with heavy varnish and stored for a couple of more years. I do not like to store them in a very hot/dry place like an attic. The wood should be dried very slow and never stood on its end. It is much easier to buy a dried blank than to cut a tree and make a blank.

It is very sad to spend several years nursing a blank and then cutting into the blank and discover the inside of the wood is not good enough for a custom stock.

Pat Ireland

3. James.c

James.c Member

would a basement be a goodplace to dry the blank?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.