1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COMMON SENSE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave Berlet, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

All of the things going on with the ATA and trapshooter.com with the 2 yds off, the new catagories and all the babbling about the 30 or 32 or 33 yd line, I am wondering wha ever happened to COMMON SENSE.

It seems that the EC The ED and the Tornament management of the ATA have become completely out of touch. Having shot 55 Grands and over 86,000 Grand American targets and over 68,000 Ohio Stat Shoot targets I just need to make some comments about the talk of increased yardage.

Has anyone who is wanting more concrete really looked at what this would require? For some clubs this would not be possible. For some other clubs it would force them to completely revamp their whole trapline by moving their traphouses forward and farther apart and completely replacing their walkways. Even at the World Shooting Complex the extra 3 or more yards of concrete would cause a big probllem of over calls and also a possible safty issue for the ajoining traps except where there are skeet houses between the trap fields. If you add 3 to 6 yds to the back side of the fields you would in many situations need to move the parking lot, or the club houses and also still need to move the trap fields farther apart.

There are many things that can be done to change the handicap system before we need more concrete.

Reductions need to be mandatory.
    Set the targets with a T bar and a distance stake where ever conditions will allow.
    Beef up the physical makeup of the targets
    Change the ammo to be less efficiant.
    Probably there are several other options before you force some gun clubs out of business. Many clubs are just holding their own and could not afford a major expenditure at this time.

I believe that a picture of a church billboard tha ti saw pretty well explaind the state of our ATA. The sign said Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Dave Berlet

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Forcing some clubs out of business? Heck, I shoot at a club that still only has walkways to the 25. Surprise, they're still in business!!

3. oleolliedawg

Forcing some clubs out of business? Heck, I shoot at a club that still only has walkways to the 25. Surprise, they're still in business!!

4. oleolliedawg

Forcing clubs out of business? Heck, I sometimes shoot at a local club that still only has walkways to the 25. Surprise, they're still in business.

Better bring out those old boxes of cardboard and filler wads. I know I have a few boxes of H-wads, Alcan Flite-Max and Remington filler wads somewhere. Sales of Pacific DL-155's are gonna go through the roof. Scrap the PW's and Spolars-we need more inefficient shells. Ban magnum shot while you're at it!

There, that oughta do it!!

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

You really make friends calling me "Stupid".

Smart guy Dave, dumb post. We reserve December for dumb posts. IN January we look fwd to shooting.

6. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

My way or the highway, Dave?

After having been around long enough to shoot 55 grands, you'd think you'd learn that not everyone thinks the same as everyone else, and the whole basis for freedom is the right to believe whatever you want to believe...without being called stupid.

I believe this would fall under the category of... probably wouldn't be expressed the same face to face as it is here on the message board.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

gotta be the Ohio water.

8. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Doing away with handicap punches in Big 50 shoots would solve some of the problems with people gaining yards to quickly.

There are some exceptions but think about this,how many targets does the avg person shoot at before they start shooting into the high 90s or even run the first 100 from the 16,it takes a while for most.

Now,take this shooter that has finally reached this point and they're shooting some better handicap scores and shooting the Big 50 events,it doesn't take them very long to get punched back to the 23 or so and all of a sudden they find themselves in unusual territory........things are just a little bit harder from back there.

Why are they harder and why are they stuck there,because they didn't spend enough time learning to shoot from the shorter distance......This creates frustrations.

It takes time to learn a skill,without a solid foundation for that skill to be built on it will fall.

that's my 2 cents for what it's worth

9. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Hey MIA,

Two words.......Al Franken!

What the HELL is in your water?

Kip

10. Mapper

Mapper Member

I agree with my friend Dave that there are many more than one way to skin a cat.
    I also had the opportunity to shoot in a bunch of different states at different clubs, at the public's expense. Thanks America. Many clubs would be inconvenienced, as Dave says. Some could not do it at all, without major expenditures. I would think the shell companies would welcome limiting shot to 1 oz. Other measures may also come to mind. Once again I think of Camp Troy. I remember several of those outlaw handicaps being won with a 95.

11. Robb

Robb Member

I doubt there is anyone making ATA decisions with more experience than Mr. Berlet. Maybe they should listen.

I agree with him, turn up the targets and if that doesn't help turn down the shells. Problem solved.

Come to Jaquas for their 5-50 event sometime and you will understand.

12. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

What does "Reductions need to be mandatory" have to do with adding concrete or fix cap system for that matter ???

13. ctreay

ctreay Member

I have shot trap since the 60's, ATA for 20 or so years. I personaly think that if the ATA were to MANDATE that all STATE SHOOTS and the GRAND throw 3 hole birds at 9.5 feet and 52 yards there would be no need to even think about 30+ yards of concrete. But I have only been around for 74 years so what do I know.

I fully expect to get flamed over this so flame away but look at the overall picture first.

ctreay

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe an easier fix without touching the concrete issue or mandating poor performing ammo would be to institute a modified "Golf" type handicap system in conjunction with our present "Yardage" system.

Also, make the yardage punches more difficult to obtain....small shoots under X amount of shooter's will receive no yardage....make the shooter actually compete against a larger group to receive a punch.

Curt

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Who's the best 27 yard shooter out there? Is his/her handicap average 100? Guess they have a way to go. ;-)

16. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

The ultimate common sense, "Leave it alone"

I agree with ctreay......except for the 74 years.

CM

17. Robb

Robb Member

I think sometimes we try to reinvent the wheel. As far as mandatory reductions, I'll bet throwing a 50mph target 50 yds. or more will make them beg to move. And that was how I thought it was supposed to work in the first place.

18. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

"And that was how I thought it was supposed to work in the first place."

Robb : Look out, you are going to get schooled on that one.....

CM

19. Robb

Robb Member

CM, I'm listening.

20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Dave- 55 GRANDS. Man that is IMPRESSIVE and must be some kind of record. I'm in awe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.