1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Common Sense has passed away

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

An Obituary printed in the London Times -

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.
    No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
    He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;

- Why the early bird gets the worm;

- Life isn't always fair;
    - and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place
    . Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents,
    Truth and Trust, by his wife,
    Discretion, by his daughter,
    Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers ;

I Know My Rights

I Want It Now

Someone Else Is To Blame

I'm A Victim

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Amen

HM

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

How true and how sad. John

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It has been dying for a while, it's sad, but there is very little of it left

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Common courtesy is not far behind.

6. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Common sense died a short time before Obama was elected.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Another example of the death of common sense is the attribution of that piece to the London Times. It's clearly American, not British, and in fact you can go to the newspaper's website (It's called the "Times of London" or just "The Times, not "The London Times," by the way) and look for it there and you won't find it.

It is an unattributed re-write of a piece by Lori Borgman in the Indianapolis Star on March 15, 1998, according to Snopes. You can find it on her website linked above.

This is only worth doing to read her plea:

'You can read the original essay in its entirety here, but please do not copy, post or reprint it without permission from the author."

. . . because it shows that it's not just common sense which has died; the same goes for the respect of any author's right to anything, including the right not to have a pretty good essay stolen, changed, and turned into an email.

Neil

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Anybody who thinks that Ms. Borgman's essay was stolen should actually read her essay, which is only very slightly similar to what was posted, although the title was the same.

Even if it had been the same, obviously Old One Eye wouldn't have had any way of knowing that. Somebody needs to get off their high horse.

With just a few stokes of the keyboard I found a book titled "The Death of Common Sense" by Philip K. Howard so just who copied who? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

"The London Times:"

"No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape."

Lori:

"No one really knows how old he was, his birth records were long ago entangled in miles and miles of bureaucratic red tape."

If that's slightly similar, then they are but slightly similar.

John, all the plagiarist did was substitute his own personal gripes for Lori's. And take all the good writing out too, of course, and replace it with a shrill screed, thus losing the whole tone of it being a satirical obituary.

I never mentioned Old One Eye or what he knew or didn't. Why do you bring him up? I didn't.

My point was that the people who love this prove its truth. Common sense would have alerted anyone that this - "from the London Times " - had to be a counterfeit. That they did not tumble to its false provenance proves that Lori was right.

Neil

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I remember reading about The Death of Common Sense as a kid in the 70's. Surely it's at least that old.

11. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The early worm gets eaten.

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Mr. Winston, people can read both and make up their own minds just like I did. Yes, one sentence was similar so it's lawsuit time. I don't see this a plagarism at all, but others can if they wish. Ms. Borgman can sue if she agrees with you, but I don't think she would win.

Sure, it was obvious that this didn't come from the London Times (that's what us colonists usually call it) and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to grasp that it probably wasn't in the obituary section of any paper anywhere. No matter who wrote it or where it was published, if anywhere, I liked it. Also liked Mr. Borgman's piece too- thanks for the link to it.

You said: "I never mentioned Old One Eye or what he knew or didn't. Why do you bring him up? I didn't." No sir, you didn't and neither did I mention your name in my post. Neither was needed since it was obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

common sense pass away

common sense passed away