1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Common Sense Approach to Grand Week

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Due to the distances that shooters travel should the program be modified to something like this which would promote more Grand Attendance.

Wednesday is to be Singles Championship

Thursday is to be Doubles Championship w/possible handicap

Friday Grand American Handicap as final shoot

Or reverse the programs for Thursday and Friday.

That would leave Saturday and Sunday as Travel Days for shooters to get home and get ready for work on Monday. And days to shut down the facilities and vendors to pack up.

And I don't care how they fill in the days prior to Wednesday

Vendors are packing up and leaving early or shutting down early anyway. It should promote more sales for them.

Also have all vendors in the center of the shooting facilities as in a Shooters Mall.

Good Idea or Bad Idea. If Bad Why? I think this would help the family man.

Remember us old farts are retired but the younger shooters are the one's coming up in this sport and it should be geared towards them.

I believe this would be the best option for all concerned.

California and Maine shooters have a long journey.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Gary; When I mentioned the "mall atmosphere" with a central courtyard, complete with pavillions and shade and taking out the traps in front of the vendor buildings, Gary Sherrod wanted to know who would pay for it.

Who will pay for a vacant facility if the Grand leaves?? The Illinois Dept of Natural Resources should consider something to keep the program there rather than trying to get the "last nickel" from the shooters and vendors. (Lord knows that IDNR can't grow grass!) Time for another Government agency to "pull their collective heads out of their collective a$$es -- JMHO.......merlyn

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

every time one makes a change in schedule- there wil be another reason to overcome the percieved problem - if they are gonna come then they will or wont. i hear the same things locally from people who only have to drive minimal distance!!

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Why not start on Monday shoot non-stop untill everyone has shot 1000 targets and go home tuesday .

5. Dr.Longshot

Frank C. who actually pissed and moaned, we need an age group here for the correct answer, was it the younger generation?

I bet it wasn't California or Maine shooters that have to travel.

Merlyn the vendor Mall is the best answer, in the exact center of the trap line. This could be an area behind the existing trap line. This should have been in the design phase before construction began.

Could it be incorporated w/hall of fame museum construction?

Ideas to make things better should be foremost.

Grand Week should be 5 days of Championship Shooting from Monday Through Friday

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Dr.Longshot

A 1000 mile or more of travel 2 days should be allocated and that I think is on the extreme. An 8 hours of travel @65-70 mph= 520 to 560 miles, now in a motor home this is a stretch from St.Louis to Las angeles is 1,842 miles
    from Boston to St.Louis is 1,082 miles
    Amarillo Texas to St.Louis is over 1,000 miles

These numbers alone justify the Grand ending on Friday.

Now this doesn't consider gas stops, restroom stops, eating stops or a tire change.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. John55

John55 Active Member

The GAH used to be on Friday, then on Saturday they had the President's handicap. We used to stay and shoot that before leaving for home on Sat. afternoon. I think most folks liked it better that way, for all the reasons mentioned.
    I heard talk of moving the tent vendor area over by the permanent buildings, don't know for sure how they'd manage that. Moving all of the vendors to the middle of the shooting line will likely not happen, that would be darn near a 1/2 mile from where the tent vendors are now. And, what would they use the existing permanent buildings for?

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The old Grand had the GAH only on Friday. Saturday was the Vandalia Hcp and the Doubles Championship.

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

What about younger folks who have to work Monday-Friday who fly in on Friday night to shoot Saturday's handicap?

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Grand American Handicap was on Friday for many years. Many shooters complained. They had to work on Friday and could only shoot on the weekends. Now it ends on Saturday and some complain that they don't have enough time to drive home.

The EC sets the Grand program and the EC wants a program that is best for the most shooters. What schedule is actually best is difficult to determine but the question is considered each year by the EC.

Pat Ireland

11. Dr.Longshot

recurvy how many fly in on Friday to shoot Saturday, Lets take this further and ask how many of you shooters that read these posts fly in on Friday to shoot Saturday because of work?

I don't think many could afford to fly for one day of shooting.

But please chime in on this subject and let's see some numbers.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Being a first timer to Sparta, I would be hard pressed to suggest improvements. Spectacular facility and I had no problem visiting all of the vendors. I think being spread out as they are actually gave you the opportunity to talk or visit productivly with them. Thank God I found the rib-eye sandwich's with the ice cream cobblers right next door. I believe it was an 8 pound trip to the belly with a little hurt in the wallet from the Wife. Personal pleasures do have their price. Great time, great facility, and great people. Looking forward to next year. Shoot often while we can, Bob

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- How many drive to just shoot one day? We do not have accurate numbers for Sparta, but at Vandalia a little over 30% of the shooters commuted from their home to the Grand.

Also many shooters shoot the Grand American on Saturday and begin the drive home on Saturday. By noon Saturday, the parking areas and camping areas had a lot of empty spaces. By 4:00 PM, the place looked almost deserted.

Moving the Grand American to Friday would make a few happy and make a few unhappy. Which group do you want to make unhappy?

Pat Ireland

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Not having been to Sparta yet I like the Sat. change.

Vandalia was pretty quiet Sat. after the GAH on friday. The change might also encourage the dealers not to pack up a day early.

Most people can schedule vacation anyway, but regardless your not going to please everyone.

Regards....Gerald

15. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The last three days of '09 were a much better format than the last three days of '08.

16. lju

lju Member

Having been to Sparta since the Grand moved there, and also been going to Vandalia since '93, I feel one thing the ATA should do is purchase whatever insurance they need to get the trolley's running again. This would promote more shooters to go shopping between events, thus better supporting the vendors on both ends of the facility.

If the vendors fail, the Grand will fail.

17. John55

John55 Active Member

Why would someone bother to ride on those wagons when they can use their own vehicle? You can park right behind all of the vendor buildings and tent area. They had them running the first year and I rarely saw anyone riding on them. Vandalia and it's layout needed them, Sparta doesn't.

18. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

All of the non-disabled personal motorized carts should be off of the cement walk way. Ear plugs, side blinders and intense concentration are a recipe for someone getting hit by a cart. It will eventually happen with the way it is now.

Put in another cement or asphalt road for the carts. That would reduce the risk of truck vs cart accidents in the parking lot as well.

It's currently a safety directors worst nightmare.

19. John55

John55 Active Member

I overheard an ATA official discussing that with one of the vendors while I was there shopping. I believe they'd like to see it placed between the trapline and the sidewalk in front of the vendor tents. Maybe the IDNR can come up with some funds for that???? I hope they do something as all of those carts wizzing around are just an accident waiting to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.