1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Commissioned Report on Shotgun Blowup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smithy47, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

The following is the web site address (link above)for a report written on an O/U shotgun blow up. I have followed many threads on trapshooters.com that talked about shotguns blowing up but did not see a picture or see any official report as to why it happened. This includes both pics and report.
    I did not post this to start any controversy but to supply you with addional info on what has already been discussed at depth here. Interesting report.
    Bob

http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/downloads/Shotgun_Mishap_with_signatures.pdf

2. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

I have been thinking about getting a Guirini combo, think I will wait abit.

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Wow, hard to argue with this very complete report. Glad I don't own any CG shotguns.

Tom Strunk

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I owned a CG Magnus combo and loved every minute of it and damn sure wouldn't be afraid to shoot one again. They are a very good gun. Better than some want to believe. Every manufacture out there has had a gun blow up for some reason or another. If there are 4-5000 CG guns out there and three of them blew apart with a "RELOAD" then that is not a very big percentage of failure is it.
    On a side note. I don't know if one should believe everything you read on the world wide web.

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I can't get the link to come up. The site is down.

6. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Link just pulled up for me......interesting report.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Also interesting that both blown receivers looks to be blown away approximately in the same fashion/shape! Hap

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

This is a most complete report. You would never see anything this complete coming out of any club or shoot I have attended.

Let's see the CG people knock this.

Don

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Quite the rip on the arm.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have no idea why they (CG) would build a monobloc assembly with that sleeve. Why not turned steps on the barrels the length of the monobloc and silver soldered into place.

11. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Didn't we do this already with a post with over 20K views?

12. JFC

JFC TS Member

i see this report failed to mention the possibility of a barrel obstruction??? how many times have ya herd a thud on the line and have to tell someone to have a look? this involved a reload... if it was factory than it would be more likely to blame the gun..

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Page 3, paragraph 2, last sentence.

"There was no evidence found to support any blockage of the barrel theory."

14. JFC

JFC TS Member

well if there is a prob with the guns i am sure we will see more...but the reloading factor still weighs heavy on me as far as failure..not saying that it isn't possible to have gun failure!! just that the only catastrophic failure brought forth so far have been using reloads...

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the just I get from this report is a poor solder joint between the barrel and mono block.

tony

16. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

To me, the thing is it always seems to involve reloaded ammo. I noticed he was using "AA hulls unibody". I don't know exactly which hull they are refering to as unibody. If he had the newer AA hulls with the glued in base wad, this starts an all new theory again. Could be hull not gun? On the other hand, it would stir enough doubt to me that I would have to think twice before buying a CG gun right now. Heck, you guys got me scared to touch my Krieghoff! (Somebody said they blow up too)
    Those injuries sure looked bad, wouldn't want that to happen to me.
    Colonel

17. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Another question on the hulls. These blowups involving a recent Perazzi and some K-80s all had one thing in common. PW loader and new AA hulls hmmmmmm.

Make me suspect! Phil S.

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I think I will stick with my MEC.

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

(1) reloads

(20 a government report putting 100% of the blame on the gun, and a 100% absolute certainty that no human error was even remotely possible.

Hmmm...

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

This is probably the most complete investigative report on a shotgun blowing up as any of us will ever see. I also noted that all those involved with the investigation are more than qualified to make, and come to, the conclusions that were reached. Much more so than any of us, I'm sure. Based on what was presented, I will stay as far away from a CG as I can get. While I feel that Gary, (Mr. Charles) has some valid points to consider, all indicators point to a faulty gun problem. There is enough simalarity between the guns that have blown up, and the location of the blow ups, to warrant more investigation into the way the CG guns are made. I would think that, at this point, armed with this information, there would be a lot of CG guns going back to the mfgr. for a refund. I can already see a class action suit being considered for those that don't get satisfaction from CG if the problem continues. Either way, this does not bode well for CG's reputation as a safe shotgun, nor for the company's sales in the near future.... Just my observation.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

injuries from shotgun blowup