1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Commercial shotshell velocity

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hooligan, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Can anyone enlighten me about shot velocity quoted by commercial manufacturers.
    I am currently looking at a box of 1oz 12g 7.5 commercial shells with velocity stated on the box as Muzzle 1375 fps and 3ft 1250 fps. The advertised speed of these shells is 1250. Most commercial manufacturers I have looked at like Win, Rem, Federal, Rio, Kemen etc only quote one figure. Is this usually the muzzle or 3ft figure!!

Barry

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge it's always been quoted as muzzle velocity.

Eric

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

At that rate of deceleration, the range of the shells would be 11 feet, a bit light for handicap.

Rollin

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The velocity of American made shells is measured at approx. 3 feet. Some foreign made ammo list velocity at the muzzle which is quite a bit higher. Hull shells imported from England were pretty soft shooting, but listed a velocity of over 1,450 fps. Someone chrongraphed them and found they were actually less than 1,300 fps. That's the first time I've heard of both figures appearing on a box.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

dickgtax
    Thanks. That was the explanation I was looking for. I thought this was probably the case however there are a couple of manufacturers hear and in NZ that brand boxes with both Muzzle and 3' velocities. At a guess I would think that being commercial manufacturers they would crono with induction equipment at 3' and
    estimate/gestimate the muzzle V. I would think the 3' figure would be reasonably accurate however the muzzle V would depend on a number of variables including
    choke size etc. Thanks again.

Barry

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Rollin makes an important point. The difference is too great to be attributed to anything the shot is doing.

Where ever this ammo is made, I suspect there are (at least) two ways of measuring shot speed and they they give different results.

Or they could have believed Don Zutz when he wrote a couple of articles in which I think he misinterpreted a Dec (or Nov) 1989 article by Ed Lowry in the American Rifleman.

Neil

7. johnpe

johnpe Member

About two year ago I bought a bunch of Winchester and Federal 12 gauge shells with one ounce of shot and marked for 1290 feet per second (3 1/4 dram equivalent). I took them to the range and chronographed them. At five feet from muzzle to the center of the chronograph setup the speed of each measured almost spot on with the box markings.

Johnpe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.