1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

comments please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dale in CA, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale in CA

Dale in CA TS Member

Hi All I have been shooting a browning citori combo for 25 years. I bought a perazzi mx8 type 3 combo and my doubles have been awful.I always did my patterning 35 to 40 yds normal shooting position and it shows my pattern all above point of aim.Then i did something i never did and pattern my overunder from a bench rest and shot two different patterns and they were both exactly the same but a 50/50 pattern.So what does it mean? Any advice would be welcome.Thanks Dale

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You're shooting under the targets?

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Gun is mounted in a different position. Your body is in a different position. Your forehand does not come into the equation if you are resting the gun on something. You probably are looking more though the top of your vision field, (Leaning more forward on the stock)than when standing giving you a different sight plain. Many different reasons. POI test patterns should be shot in the same position as when shooting targets. I usually will set up next to a fixed object or a pole. Get into my normal shooting stance with the gun about a inch from the pole, then slowly lean to the pole so my fingers are between the pole and forend. This gives me stability while in the same position as shooting targets. This method in my opinion really does not give you true POI. It tells you the percentages on a fixed aiming point at a target. Similar to shooting a rifle. True POI is determined in my opinion by starting the gun out below the target, and slowly lifting the gun to the spot you are concentrating on and firing while following through the target, without seeing or looking for the beads. This simulates your normal movement during shooting and takes into affect the eye hand coordination, and alignment. You are not aiming. Mount the gun with the normal hold point then lower below the target. All movement should be from the waist. Upper body should be locked in one segment. No arm movement. The target you where concentrating on, should be in the center of that test pattern. This obviously requires multiple shots, before adjustments to get an average. This also really shows if you flinch or not. Just something to try. Jon

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have a camrea tripod that's adjustable up and down. I made a padded U block to rest the barrel and steady the gun while standing in my normal shooting stance, this works well for the pattern board, checking patterns and poi's. It also works great when running shotshells over the chronograph.

Whatever you do, do it the same when checking patterns and poi's, what you're really looking for is a point of reference between poi and poa.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.