1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COMMENTS PLEASE Anything wrong with this.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by H82MIS, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Marc, I would shoot with you anytime,,it all sounds like the old boy needs a girlfriend,,,lol,,by the way I load and ready exactly as you do when shooting a gas gun because of the voice release,,

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd pay the old guy no attention which is probably what he was after in the first place. Either that or he'd forgotten to take his fiber for a few days and was feeling out of sorts? I always respect my elders whether they are right or wrong and move on.

Hap

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Anything wrong with this.

I don't close my action until the guy before me shoots. I don't want to distract anyone, It could make the shooter in front of me a little uneasy. Bulge.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Anything wrong with this.

Marc:

Your procedure is slightly unusual but as long as you were keeping the gun pointed safely down range and being consistent with when you closed the bolt I don't think it's a big deal at all.

The thing you need to realize, however, is that it doesn't really matter what you do when a Club Geezer wants to start trouble. You're 69 and probably still know how to enjoy life and let others enjoy theirs. But when some of these angry old guys can't shoot well anymore, and their weenie has long stopped working, many of them dedicate the last few miserable years of their lives to to ruining the fun for everyone else. They've driven countless new shooters away and, in my opinion, they are trapshooting's #1 enemy. Either ignore them altogether or give it right back to them two-fold. Consider the latter as doing God's Work.

-Gary

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

You need to buy a new gun . Get a K80, Ljutic, or any high end gun and close it when it`s your turn to shoot > Ha ha Just kidding .

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

In every crowd of shooters there is a horse's ass who can't do anything well or productive. The only thing they CAN do is tear down the people around them. The old saying is misery loves company and these people are determined to take us where they are.

7. TC

TC TS Member

Mark, you are perfectly fine with your procedure. In my opinion it is the correct way for an autoloader. The other gentleman apparently does not have any experience with 1100's.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have no issues with your shooting regiment. I wouldn't have a problem squading with you.

If shoot management doesn't have a problem, and it sounds like they don't, they need to tell the old fart to chill out or show him the door. Shooters like that bring very little good to a club.

Next time put a pink tutu on over your trousers to really give him something to bitch about. Lol.

ss

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Just wondering how you're able to time your bolt release. Is it after the guy shoots or right when he does? Had a guy next to me once who dropped his bolt between my 'pull" and "bang" and I did not like that at all. I'd be tracking the bird and something would go "CLACK" right next to me. I guess you'd have to ask the guy to your left if it bothered him, and if not, tell grandpa to mind his own business. All things considered, sounds like another reason to go to a break open. Good luck.

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

ljutic111, I normally shoot my Mono Gun two bbl set. The problem is that I have been teaching it so many bad habits I thought it deserved a break. (LOL) I have been having a mechanical problem with the 1100. Testing to make sure it was fixed. I have to admit, the low recoil was really nice. Marc

11. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Marc,

I follow the EXACT same procedure as you do with my autoloader. You are fine.

Chris

12. luvtrapguns

stokinpls, I try to time closing as quickly after the BANG as I can. Well before next shooter even brings up his gun. Marc

13. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

I had to laugh at Gary's comment about the old geezers weanie not working anymore. :) But as above, time for a new gun!

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

You did nothing wrong...these are always "no win" situations. If you try to explain it just provides an opportunity for the "heckler" to escalate the criticism that you are being unsafe.

Like the kid I saw pass me yesterday on his motorcycle while "text messaging" - no joke - on his cell phone (@ 50 mph) there are lots of morons in this world that we gotta put up with. Hang in there. Regards, Ed

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You did fine. Not a problem. I have seen people who shoot, reload and close their gun and wait for their turn to shoot. In other words they have to wait for 3 other people to shoot. I don't like that at all but I asked around and no one cared and nothing was done. I have seen people load their guns for the 6th shot and not unload with the bolt open and walk to the next station. I did ask them nicely not to do that. If some other people see them doing that they will jump on you in a bad way. Not really but it does help to say that and they do unload from one station to another now.

We at one of the two clubs that I belong to have an old man who has POed most of the people at the club. YOU DID THIS WRONG YOU DID THAT WRONG. So on and so on. He is a skeet shooter and when he shoots his station he will spin the gun around his back. That is an unsafe act to everyone and he has been spoken to about it and he keeps doing it. The good part now is he has gotten so old he has not been out for some time. The other part is because of him complaining about everything no one listens any more. Don't worry about the bold headed old fart. It sounds like no one listened to him anyway.

16. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I do the same thing when I shoot a auto. Or I close my bolt when the shooter before me shoots so as not to release a target with the bolt closing.
    If no one on the squad had a problem with what you were doing screw the "spectator".

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

As the shooter bfore me shoots, I close as his goes off. I think loading it in the chamber several shooters before your turn is wrong. It would not really bother me unless you were a beginner, then I would feel unsafe. However out of courtesy I wait until the shooter before me pulls the trigger

18. luvtrapguns

I have made it a routine of trying to keep my eyes focused at bird breaking distance for at least one shooter before my turn. I do not like shifting my vision from gun to target when it is my turn to shoot. I do not like to close a gun, auto or locked breech, without checking for proper closure. I feel that my vision does not adjust quickly when refocusing fron near to far. So I close ahead of time. It also helps maintain the squad rhythm. How many times have you shot on a squad that always has one shooter take excessive time to ready himself every time it is his turn to shoot. Marc

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Marc, that's almost the exact procedure I use....

I fire, then wait until the person to my right has fired, then I clear my shell, and drop a new shell in, being careful to not wave the barrel around. I then wait until the person on my left has fired, and I close the bolt not as he fires, but right after I see the clay break (or miss). This means I am making noise after his follow through, not during, but before the sound activated mics reset themselves, so my bolt does not trip them.

I'm editing my post, because I did not clearly see this part until Jeff (Pull & Mark) jumped into the fray below, causing me to reread it more carefully....

Quote from Marc, <i>"When the second shooter ahead of me shoots I will time my bolt closing at his BANG so that the noise from my bolt closing does not cause a bird to be thrown."</i>

I think that's the crucial point, now that I've reread it more carefully. You really should be closing your bolt after the shooter immediately to your left has fired, not the shooter before him.

I still think the guy who went ballistic is an anal retentive jerk. He should have calmly and rationally explained his position, instead of being a dick about it.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If he don't like the way you do it, the way I do it would really piss him off ... I shoot, open and let the empty fly, reload and close on the ready ... I have done it that way forever and never had anyone complain about it being unsafe or a bother to them ... He must of been having a bad day and wanted someone to share it with him, you looked like you were available obviously ... Now, in all reality I cannot put what I would of told him on here or I would get banned ... You did it right if he likes it or not ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.