1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

comments on Kaye Ohye class

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gotbass, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotbass

gotbass Member

Thinking about signing up for Kaye Ohye class, anyone done one and your thoughts. email of pm if you rather. Thanks. Mike

2. antique

antique TS Member

one of the best.jim burk

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Great class. I took it in May. It helped me tremendously. After shooting for a year, I wanted to take a class before I developed any bad habits. I was prepared to have my stance and style completely torn down. I'm happy to say that my style did not make Kaye's "How Not To Shoot Trap Highlights Reel".

He pointed out some minor changes, and the drills he gave us to do have been helpful in the six weeks since.

I recommend him highly.

Best,
    Dennis

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

took it a year ago,two day class,,,was a solid B class shooter,,,,,scince than,,,,97 in caps,,,westy hogan,,,,lost to Kaye by a bird,,,,won 16's open B class at NC state shoot,,,,and had a run of 400 targets ,,,missed 9,,I dont think I will be in B class anymore,,,,and he helped my doubles more than my singles,,,,,the only thing I think is I am a little slow,,,do not remember alot of the class,,,,so a refresher will be in order,,,,there is a lot of info in a short time

5. GRR

GRR TS Member

The best....improved my shooting 2 classes. Go into his class with an open mind and do what he says. Everything he tells you is for a reason and his record over the years prove it. Gary

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I took two clinics from Kay but that was over 20 years ago. He teaches a very organized program built on the basics and it works. Some instructors tell you what you want to hear by experimenting to find what works for you. Kayo believes that if you want to keep on shooting your way then go right ahead, but if you really want to improve then get a solid grasp of the basics.

7. SanDiegoShooter

SanDiegoShooter TS Member

I took Kaye class a few months ago up in Washington. Great class with lots of information. Check your ego at the door and keep an open mind. You will get a lot out of the class if you can keep your mouth shut and listen. His class is well organized and professional, well worth the money.

8. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I took Kay's class last year. What helped me most was the brief introduction to doubles at the end of the second day. I had never even seen doubles shot before, let alone shot them. I borrowed his backup K80 since I can't reload my single fast enough. A few quick pointers started me off pretty well.
    When my home club finally got a doubles machine it was shocking how good singles shooters- much better than me - couldn't do anything with doubles. Their doubles average would be maybe half of their singles average. By the second round of doubles, my doubles average was better than my singles. It helps if you know how to do it and haven't developed any bad habits.

The clinic dealt with basics - things I already knew but needed to practice, along with some etudes that you wouldn't get to do in a regular trap shoot.

I am going to do another one in the fall from Kay, but would like to do some clinics from other instructors like Harlan Campbell or Phil Kiner. Everybody has a different approach and you can pick up different things from different instructors. I would particularly like to have Phil Kiner work with me on eye dominance. I ahve a problem with hard lefts from stations 4 and 5. I know taht my left eye is taking over when I am set up for a hard right and a ahrd left comes out. I can get over it with pure concentration, but when I am tired or frazzled from work, the concentration doesn't keep up.

9. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I've taken many classes from Kay Ohye and I am always pleased with the class and attitude toward shooting in general. Kay's structure is fairly regimented and he doesn't apologize for his style and technique. He shoots from the "Orthodox style" of trapshooting. It's a style they believe works for them. You may or may not find it to your liking but you can't argue with the success that Kay, Deb, Nora and the 100's who are All Americans who have taken Kay's classes.

Rick Brohmer

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Go! Go with an open mind and do exactly what he tells you and you can't help but shoot better. If you go and do what you feel is better than save your money and continue to shoot the way you are.
    Joe

11. jalu

jalu Member

I've had the enjoyment of taking Kay's trap shooting class for six consecitive years, with each class being the full five days. I plan on taking several more years worth of classes from Kay as well.

He's there to instruct, you had better be there to learn or your just wasting your money if you don't listen and then apply what he's trying to get across to you.

Great guy to spend five days of shooting with and his instruction has taken my wife's shooting to a level that she never thought she could obtain.

For the west coast shooters, Kay has a spring class in Colville WA. and another
    in Medford OR. See you there!
    jalu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.