1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on a SKB 85tss combo.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scootermac50, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

Just putting some feelers out for the SKB 85tss combo.
    I am sure there are posts somewhere on this, but rather than searching I will ask here. Good, Bad, Ugly. Problems, etc.

I appreciate it!

Scott

2. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Bought one a few months ago. Great gun. Great service if you ever need it. I had the roller pin come out on me from where the high rib is held in place while shooting. No big deal. Easy fix. Plus the service center sent me the needed replacement parts n/c. Mine's an 85ttr combo with high grade wood. Jim

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Scott,

Some of the first 885TSS's were plagued by trigger issues. SKB's warrenty center took care of them and overtime upgraded the trigger componets so this isn't an issue anymore.

There is plenty of parts stateside so servicing is straight forward with no issues.

For what a used combo can be bought for these days (around $2K) , they have become quite a bargain.

ss

4. citadel

citadel Active Member

We have two sets, one set for me and one set for my wife. They are the very best value for money around. No where can you get a fully adjustable unsingle and double barrel for the price. The closest would be a Beretta or Browning of some type for more than $1,000 to $1,500 more. We bought our sets , one for $1,850 and the other for $2,250 and the difference was that the more expensive one has a gracoil installed when we bought it. I had a gracoil put on the first set and now you can hardly tell them apart.

Buy the set with the double and the unsingle and save a bundle as you can get a set for about $1,900 or so as we did and the going price for a used double or the unsingle alone is about $1,600+/- or more.

No problems, not one. They shoot exactly where we point them. If there ever is a problem it is operator error not the guns but that is nearly always the case.
    Doug

5. al3526

al3526 TS Member

shot combo for my first year shooting. it treated me well with about 8k - 10k rounds thru it. trap, hdcp, doubles, and skeet. it did break once at the start of this year but was fixed for 70$. i have since moved on to a guerini magnus ou that i love. wont sell the skb tho as it is still my skeet gun as well as a backup. buy and when you can you will move up. al

6. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

Its on its way now... Thanks for the insight.
    I just started shooting trap last year, late bloomer I guess you could say.
    Shot the citori and carry a 94.5 cumulative. If I get it and cant shoot it, I can always go back to the old stand-by. I did hear they had a few trigger problems, but that is supposed to be fixed now. Cross my fingers and hope it all works out. Thanks again.

7. al3526

al3526 TS Member

good luck to you. break em all al

8. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

This is good ifnormation. I am looking at 32/34 combo right now for under two k and they sound like a good deal. It has the adj. comb. I know the hardware on the Beretta and Browning adj combs are not as good as aftermarket...how would you rate the ones on your SKB? Would 1800 plus shipping for a very good condition be fair price? I am not one to absolutely lowball people but don't want to overpay considering SKB announced they were going out of business. Thanks. RICH

9. al3526

al3526 TS Member

i believe that the adj. comb hardware is made by graco. its all steel and presented me no problems. al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.