1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments made back in 1955

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Comments made back in 1955 !

‘I’ll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it’s going to be impossible to buy a week’s groceries for $10.00. ‘

‘Have you seen the new cars coming out next year?

It won’t be long before $1,000.00 will only buy a used one.’

‘If cigarettes keep going up in price, I’m going to quit; 20 cents a pack is ridiculous.‘

‘Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter.’

‘If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.’

‘When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon.

Guess we’d be better off leaving the car in the garage.’

‘I’m afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable

get by with saying DAMN in ‘GONE WITH THE WIND’, it seems every new movie has

either HELL or DAMN in it.’

‘I read the other day where some scientist thinks it’s possible to put a man on the moon by the

end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas ..’

‘Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000

a year just to play ball? It wouldn’t surprise me if someday they’ll be making

more than the President.‘

‘I never thought I’d see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric.

They are even making electric typewriters now.‘

‘It’s too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having

to work to make ends meet.‘

‘It won’t be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.’

‘I’m afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.’

‘Thank goodness I won’t live to see the day when the Government takes half our

income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.’

‘The fast food restaurant is convenient for a quick meal, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.’

‘There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $2.00 a night to stay in a hotel.’

‘No one can afford to be sick anymore.

At $15.00 a day in the hospital, it’s too rich for my blood.’

‘If they think I’ll pay 30 cents for a haircut, forget it.’

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Steve, in 1955 the cost to mail a letter was only 4 cents, it only went up to 6 cents in 1968.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

1955 was a fine year. :)

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, I was 8 years old and don't remember very much. I do remember my mother working part-time and how unhappy some family members were with that. We scrimped and saved, but never really wanted for much. But life was simpler and my sister and I just didn't need a lot of "stuff". Playing hide n' seek evenings in the summer was the main entertainment. And being called in when "all" the other kids got to stay out...

cap

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I was already in the house when most were called in. lol

hide-n-seek and annie annie over were the two most popular games in the neighborhood.

6. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I remember my mother being very upset when a loaf of bread went from 10 to 11 cents. And you paid an extra penny for sliced bread.

An ice cream cone or a pack of gum costs 5 cents.

Charlie

7. senior smoke

1955 was a good year. WWll was over, people were working, starting family's, and the world as a child seemed like a nicer place. We lived in a housing project for veterans, and were rather poor. It is odd to say, we may have been poor, but as kids we didn't really know it.

When transistor radios came out, I asked my dad for one for my birthday, and I will always remember what he said to me, "I am not Rockefeller"! I played baseball morning to night, except when they had Polio alerts.We than had to stay in doors.

Steve

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And what are prices going to be like in 2055?

9. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

candy bars 5 cents 6 for a quarter the good old days. Tom

10. senior smoke

What we need is prices to come down someway, so only one parent has to work. At the end of WWll, 97 % of all women stayed at home. Nowadays, 97 percent of all women work outside the home. Most would say that this has had a terrible effect on our children. I have an idea on how to possibly achieve this scenario. As an example, when we invaded Iraq, they should now be paying us back in oil for the money that we spent.
    Steve

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I went into the local Casey's store the other day to buy a candy bar. Something I am supposed to avoid, but still crave as an adult. I picked up a Milky Way, which seemed smaller than when I was a kid and used to buy for a nickel. The sticker sad $1.25. although I certainly had the $1.25 to buy it, I couldn't bring myself to do it.
    I thought to myself, I could have three cans of my favorite beer for that price if I bought it in sale.
    Every thing is relative I guess.

12. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I remember most of those prices.

I went away to college in 1957 and had to pay $35.00 for a room on the 3rd floor of a private home. Had to go down to the 2nd floor to use the bath room and toilet. Room had a bed, a desk and one chair and one window! And I thought $35.00 was a lot!!

Allen

13. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

I was six in 1955. My father was barber (barbered all of his life, except when he served in WWII) At that age, I didn't really want much. Black & white TV, mwith all of 3 stations, no roof antenna. I do not know how my father was able to sustain us on his pay.

When I was about 13 my mom took a part time job at the liquor store across the street to earn a little extra to be able to buy groceries.

Looking back at the fun I had during the summer it seems a shame that kids today do not have the safe environment I experienced. Kids today have to be aware of "strangers" and others out to hurt them. I, too, played baseball from the time I got up in the morning to supper time. Imagination was rampent in my youth. Too bad kids need to rely on an X-Box or one of the gazillion TV channels today for entertaimment. Cowboys and Indians was great playtime adventures.

Technology is a great thing, but it makes us lazy. It takes imagination away from kids. Ah, yes, what will 2055 be like?

Billy P.

14. senior smoke

I believe one of the worst invention's was the video game. It makes our children stay in doors, instead of going out to play. As a child when school was out, my typical day in summer was the following.

Woke up around 8am, ate breakfast and cleaned up. Went to the area playground and met friends to play 16 inch softball. I played until 12 noon, went back home for lunch, was back around 12.45pm. Played baseball until 4:45pm, went home ate dinner. Returned back to the playground to either play more softball, or went to Wilson park and practiced or played for my little league baseball team.

Got home around 8:30pm, took a shower ate, went to bed. I was in good shape, stayed out of trouble, respected adults, the police, and didn't have time to get in trouble.

What did all this baseball playing do for me? Got to play some professional ball for a short time, got drafted into the Army. Served my country willingly, got married when I returned home. Started a family, worked for 40 years, now retired.
    It's been a good life, enough said.
    Steve

15. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Didn't get a COLOR TV until 1963 or 1964. I grew up in Downey, California. Just about 16 miles from Los Angeles, so we had about 10 or 12 stations. We were spoiled. Mom used to give Dad $5.00 a week so he could get bread and milk twice a week at the Rockview dairy. BIG JIM

16. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Did you know that "GONE WITH THE WIND" was the first full length movie shot and released in color. They started to shoot the movie in black and white, but, before they were finished, color film was produced, they shot the whole movie over in color. (Film appreation 1969, Cerritoes Jr. College.) BIG JIM

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Jim, "gone with the wind" was filmed in 1939. A movie titled "Becky Sharpe" was filmed in 1935 in full color. Color filming was invented in England and the 1st. color film might have been made 100 years ago. I always thought the wizard of oz.

18. porky

porky TS Member

In 1955, my family moved from near Cooperstown to just below Albany,NY. One of my jobs was to take the mortgage money down to the post office and mail it to the bank. One day, for some reason, onr time I made the postal money order out to my parents instead of the bank, needless to say, I was admonished for it.

19. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

In 1955, I worked on a Mink Ranch during the Summer vacation and then on weekends after School stared again. I earned 60 cents/hour and we worked 10 hours a day with every other Sunday off. I thought I had the world by the tail. Were you ever bitten by a Mink? Larry Evans

20. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

1960. Senior in high school. Half a dozen of the senior boys drove their cars to school. All of them had a shotgun or 22 in the trunk to go hunting after class. NO SCHOOL SHOOTINGS BACK THEN1 Unheard of. Why today? Two parents working..lack of supervision..the culture we now live in? You tell me. ed nichols

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.