1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Coming to a Police Dept near you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerbear, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWe9KIpONtk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWe9KIpONtk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jerbear

2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

This isn't exactly new. Tag readers have been out there for a few years now. It's a good tool. My agency has two of them (MD). They are used for finding stolen cars, unregistered cars & uninsured cars. In my general area (DC Metro and surrounding area) there are about 35,000 cars stolen annually and probably 60,000 unregistered and uninsured vehicles on the road.

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

What's the world comimg to? You can't even drive around without a license or in a stolen car anymore.
    Communist bastards

4. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

If you catch the show on True TV, Auto Theft Taskforce, you can see this equipment in action. It is filmed in NJ.

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

This guy got reamed for being a cop and out showing his wares, without a seatbelt---but as usual, it's do as I say, not as I do. Coming up to two years ago the first time I saw this on the web.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Kim the URL which is the web address is on the screen on the right at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWe9KIpONtk&feature=player_embedded

That should do it you can check it by copying and pasting in in the address line. If it gets you what you want you good to go.

Bob Lawless

7. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Thanks Bob. :) Kim

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Very cool technology. A lot of engineering went into that.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The one that is coming that I think is wrong is ( the police depts are going to be giving blood tests at the station to determine your blood alcohol level. I don't drink and drive but I damn sure dont want a cop sticking a needle in me

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They had plate recognition computers at the border going into Mexico, had to turn them off they got so many hits.

HM

11. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

"I don't drink and drive but I damn sure dont want a cop sticking a needle in me"

For me that silly A&& sobriety test, "that I have to be half in the bag to pass" and for me that quote is true!

But in my state I can refuse the field test, but not the breath test! And myself if it gets to that point, "I want them to pay the highest price I can get them to, if one of our COP's gets that stupid"!

Also having grown up in a home with a good COP as the bread winner, and learning that all departments look at the costs as much if not more then any office or buisness. The more you run up the opweating cost of the A--hole that wants to arrest every teatotaler he runs into for DUI, the sooner he will get assigned to be a meter maid or other lower task they can find for him!

So no I have not been drinking, and yes please stick that needle in my arm, because I am willing to wait on your boss, or karma to really kicking your d--- A$$ big time!

Al Lingham

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have quite a few friends that are cops. The plate scanners have been around here for a few years. In NY they love DWI. The departments get grants and such just for DWI patrols. If you refuse the breath test you get an automatic DWI.

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Uninsured drivers are a problem. Get them off the road.

Do not waste my tax dollars on "professional, specialized and highly trained traffic enforcement" personnel when a rookie with one of these machines can get the job done.

Put those dollars toward fighting violent crimes. I don't care if you ever find my stolen car - I am probably better off if you didn't. Keep us safe, put scum bags in jail; and have enough jails to house them.

Don Verna

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

In the near future everything including license plate stickers will have RFID Chips......Then that camera will be totally obsolete.

Most of us would be shocked if we knew how many chips we already carry.

Chipping all food containers is coming very soon.

Ever heard of EZ-PASS?

We are accepting round the clock monitoring as a convenience.

15. Gizmo110

Gizmo110 TS Member

Don,

But most of the sh***eads that have stolen cars are indeed violent criminals. They use stolen cars to perpetrate their crimes, ie. car jacking, armed robbery. I have very rarely arrest someone in a stolen vehicle that did not have a violent criminal history. Most if not all criminals are arrested off of traffic stops, Timothy McVey, Ted Bundy, to name just two. Criminals must use modes of transportation to get from one place to another, very very very few do it in non-stolen, currently registered, insured vehicles.

As far as the Cop putting the needle in and taking the blood, it would be done at the office after the Cop is certified as a phlebotomist. Right now I have to take them to the hospital and have the phlebotomist there take the blood. She gives me the tubes and I send them to the State Lab for processing. The County pays $35.00-$50.00 per blood draw and I arrest about 40 drunks per year, and our department does about 350 drunks per year. It will only take about 250.00 to train our whole department to take blood. So the savings to the tax payer is plain to see.

Our county has seen a dramatic drop in OWI related deaths in the past 5 years and a dramatic increase in OWI arrests, you do the math. Dont drink and drive, dont steal cars and you wont have to worry about blood tests, breath tests, or license plate readers.

Tim

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

A better reference than easy pass would be "cell phones". They all have gps abilities.

17. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

John,

There is virtually NO waste of precious financial resources on tag readers. Though a few police departments purchase them, most are purchased by the insurance industry.

"The inevitable legal challenge" has already been met. No problem. No illegal search. That's sidewalk attorney talk.

This technology protects "your ass" with very limited man hours.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

John, Wisconsin has no insurance requirement. This has made the state a "Mexican magnet".

Both my daughters got hit by uninsured Mexicans. One was completely wasted, took the back end off the Windstar,. I thank God the kids were up front. He tried to bribe my daughter into not calling the police even thought her half demolished van was undrivable.

The other drove in front of my daughter on slippery side streets, and got unavoidably hit. NO insurance of course, so 500 dollars my grandbabies could have used went to car fixing once again.

When you resent insurance requirements you give me one big sharp pain in the nether regions.

Why should someone else have to pay for your negligence? Why did my daughters get robbed of a thoudsand dollars? What if there had been serious injury?

Tell me your answer.

HM

19. otnot

otnot Active Member

In China they facial recognition cameras made by an American software company. I have heard that if you were to walk around New York city for a day your image would be captured 4,000 times.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OfCfae1STQI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OfCfae1STQI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

When do we say enough is enough.

20. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

OK, but what are your coverage limitations on UM? Not real comfy, is it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.