1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

coming out of the gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by windyflat, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windyflat

windyflat Member

I recently made the switch to a new gun and I've picked up some bad habits since I made the switch.
    Coming out of the gun is not something I struggled with while shooting my old gun... I'm not someone who swings way past the target but I stayed in it for a second or so after the shot.
    Now I've started stopping the gun as well!!!

I know your gonna say simply keep your eye on the bird and the rest will follow but I gotta wonder if this stock just doesn't fit me??

I switched from a beretta 303 to an mx2000 top single.

Started out shooting 24/25 with it pretty regular now I'm wondering if Friday night bingo might be a better hobby.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you compare the stock measurements of the two guns? Also check the weight and balance point of each gun. HMB

3. windyflat

windyflat Member

The major difference is the perazzi doesn't have an adj pad..

With both combs all the way down the perrazi stock is a bit higher.
    I had seven washers in the 303 comb to get to where I could consistently smoke a target.

Harlan had to cant the pad pretty good on my old gun to get what He thought was a good fit for me..

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

Put an adjustable pad on your new gun.

5. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I had a shooting instructor give me some advise on lifting my head. Try laying a $5 bill on the pad when you shoot. If you lift your head, the $5 becomes fair game. Please advise trap number and wind direction.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Todd

6. windyflat

windyflat Member

Had a few shooters watch me shoot today and I kept my head on the stock just fine but I pulled the forearm down as I pulled the trigger.
    On the 21 targets that I didn't yank the forearm down I center punched the target.
    Gonna try holding lower and If that doesn't work I'll try loosening up my grip on the forearm.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Put an empty hull in palm of left hand, then grab forearm. Try a few and see if it makes a difference. Yes it will be uncomfortable.

Other possibilities.

Gun is slapping you in the face.

Poor visual recognition.

Trigger changes poundage

Cross firing.

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

with the gun empty(obviuosly)-- have someone @ the muzzle end point the bead(s) back to your pupil--in other words, are you seeing over them---i try to get the beads in the lower 1/3 so you can get fair look ! and yes , a lower holdpoint helps! also, by chance are you using a rocker pad?

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

windyflat, in my opinion, pulling the forearm down as you shoot is a form of flinching.

In my part of the woods, it is called a forearm flinch.

Wish I could tell you how to cure it, but you may be holding your forearm to tight or not tight enough. (Hence there is no way for me to help you)

My self, when I have a forearm flinch, I'm holding too tight.

Try just laying your gun across your outstretched hand and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

10. windyflat

windyflat Member

The gun isn't beating me up at all...
    One thing I think I've been doing is calling too soon after I mount the gun.
    but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with this latest issue

Today I made sure I let my eyes get quiet before I called for the target (maybe 3 seconds) and it certainly helped me see a whole clear target.

I think I may have a tendency to tug a little too hard on the forearm so I'll try letting it rest in the palm of my hand and see if that doesn't help.

I don't think its a crossfire problem... I took the dot off this spring and I shot better this summer and fall that I've shot since I started.

I have a very dominant left eye and I shoot off the left shoulder. As long my left eye is not blocked by the ramp of the rib I can shoot two eyes.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!

11. Robb

Robb Member

LOP issue?

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

My first guess was gun hitting you but you say its not. Try and pull the gun in real tight and be sure and hold it tight all the way through the shot. It seems to help keep you head down while you do this IMO. If you hold it loose you will be more likely to lift.

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I hope you did not sell the 303 I have seen lots of K and P guys go back to the Beretta just a softer and easier gun to shoot for big events with lots of targets day after day.

I see lots of other old duffers toting auto guns these days. I just shot my Perazzi and my 303 back to back on a 5 stand the felt recoil was amazing the auto's sure have come a long way. I hate to write this after all the years I spent acquiring hi quality guns. I love hi quality and fit and finish along with great wood but I shoot the auto just as good as any of my better guns its just that I do not feel as good as when shooting a fine firearm I worked so hard to acquire.

.Sorry for the run on just my personal thoughts

Buddy

14. windyflat

windyflat Member

Buddy.. I sold my main 303 trap but I still have enough parts and pieces to build another one...
    I've been shooting the new gun since late oct. I had the same issue now and again with my beretta but nothing like I'm experiencing now.

I tried dry firing just resting the forearm in my hand like a few of you suggested and I shook the barrel pretty good on quite a few shots as I pulled the trigger..

On one shot this morning I had trouble pulling the trigger.
    That's a new one for me.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Sounds like a forearm flinch but I'd try something else before going crazy.

Have someone throw some targets manually and give you a variety of late pulls. Get used to holding your gun still until the target emerges. I'd do this for about 50 targets and see if you don't smooth out. This is an old tool to help you keep from moving the gun before the target comes out. Lot's of instructors use it effectively.

One other thing. I know it doesn't make any sense but I've seen shooters try putting a shooting glove on their forearm side. I think it gives you a better feel without grasping so tightly. Good Luck.

16. windyflat

windyflat Member

Barry the glove was the first thing I tried.. I'm fairly certain I'm not moving on the call but I'll try having someone pull for me this weekend.
    I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not centering my vision on a spot on the leading edge of the target?

It just bugs me why all of a sudden I'm stopping the gun on some shots and yanking the forearm down on others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.