1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Come on who needs the ATA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Not1/2Bad, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not1/2Bad

Not1/2Bad Member

After 40 years in this sport, i have heard a lot, and to be very honest am sick and tired of the same complaints, all the problems pointed out by this guy and that hall of famer and some all american and some past all american blah blah blah. Come on guys where and what are the solutions. Here in Calif. the PITA has been thumbing there nose at the ATA for years. Who needs those high and mighty ATA exec. Oh u want to be an all american, so what, all they do is travel all over and pour money,into trap shooting just like the world poker tourments of which they have plenty, great for them, maybe someone needs to start a grass roots shooting organization like the PITA in the east, or have PITA shoots in the east, there in Colorado now. Maybe have the Cardinal Center, The MTA in Michigan take Penn and Indy and those mid west states tell the all mighty ATA to shove it and all the shooters from those areas shoot non registered targets at those venues. Hell guys you or we or all of us have to start somewhere.

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Competition for the ATA would be very interesting. Does the PITA charge a daily fee? What about State daily fees if PITA were to be adopted? Would the State associations support competing venues? In reality what would we (shooters) have to gain? Not trying to be negative. Marc

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Back when the ATA was trying to find a new homegrounds and people were predicting its demise, I sat at a table in the PSSA building at Elysburg with several wealthy and influential shooters. On little more than paper napkins, they drew up an association they called the Eastern Trapshooting Association. Their plan was that the PITA would sanction the shoots in the western states, the weakened ATA would handle the central area of the country and the new ETA would take care of the eastern states. But when the ATA's dust settled in Sparta, I never heard anything further about it.

Ed

4. Not1/2Bad

Not1/2Bad Member

See now were talking, did you know that the ATA and the PITA cross regester targets for each other already, all you pay is the other assc. Daily fees. Lets face facts, all any club has to do is put targets in the air and they are making money. If targets fly someone will shoot them. Somewhere there is a group of people who k ow way more about the ins and the outs of running of trapshoots. Where are the fellow trapshooters who saw the problems comming years ago, have told us about the problems, remind us of the problems but never have any solutions, well here is my attempt at throwing something to see if it sticks somewhere, solutions start with ideas, there is mine, now go find those guys in the Elysberg with the napkins and ask some questions

5. Not1/2Bad

Not1/2Bad Member

For anyone interested go check out shootpita.com they have a forum page and alot of other very nice things. Yes we have an ATA state shoot and a PITA state shoot, check out the PITA grand, alot more like the old grand than sparta will ever be. Look people one of my favorite sayings is this. There is always more than one way to give a cat a bath. Something has to be done, so give us back some of the relocation fees we had to pay for years and years and we can use them to really
    Relocate. Thats it for me, i need a Stella

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

You are all bad. And I am not kidding

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jack, bitchers are more dangerous to this sport than they realize. For them it is all about them

8. AveragEd

In case anyone has the wrong idea, I am not putting the ATA down. I was just passing something along that I found interesting - not necessarily better - at the time and still do.

Ed

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think everybody knows what you mean ED. It's the nay sayers who destroy

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"See now were talking, did you know that the ATA and the PITA cross regester targets for each other already, all you pay is the other assc. Daily fees."

Well 1/2Bad evidently you have a short memory. Just a few years ago the ATA said they weren't going to recognize the letter agreeing to cross register any longer. The PITA shooters were in here crying big crocidile tears on account of it. Some that I used to converse with still don't respond to my posts any longer.

All I did was tell them to cool off and wait to see if it got straightened out which it did very shortly as I remember. You would think I peed in their cornflakes. If the ATA is so bad why did they get all upset over nothing??????

Bob Lawless

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm confused, if PITA is so great, why do they need ATA members?

Disclaimer: I am not knocking PITA. I know nothing about it other than it is a trap shooting organization very similar to the ATA. I'm just asking.

12. Not1/2Bad

Not1/2Bad Member

To those who returned a comment i thank you. Is the ATA great, who knows, but it has worked for along time, my whole post was meant to make those constant complainers maybe think of solutions, as i stated, change, if any, or if needed, starts with an idea, we sure hear alot of complaints, and numbers, and stats, and whatever else, but not many ideas for solutions. If i ruffled some of your feathers to some sorry, to those who always read, sit, complain, and never even look or heaven forbid think outside the box good, maybe as a whole the members need to be part
    Of the solution. Relax and go see some orange

13. AveragEd

FlaLagarto, perhaps 10 years ago, I also inquired about holding PITA shoots here in Pennsylvania. The letter I received from their secretary stated that we would be welcomed and included a small telephone directory of forms and such. I even joined and received their newsletter "On Target" for several years. But I couldn't muster enough local interest to warrant trying to hold shoots. A very influential local shooter who was an officer in the PSSA at the time and vehemently defended the ATA did all he could to make sure the idea never materialized.

Ed

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

We all do--ATA--NRA--PITA--plus any and all the more we can find, internal bicker ing will be the final death knell. Ross Puls

15. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I have shot trap since 1984 and have never shot an ATA event. I have shot at many different clubs through the years. Most have been league shooting and a few merchandise shoots or company shoots. I have shot up to 4000 rounds a year, not much compared to some ATA shooters, but still no small amount. In the last 3 years I haven't shot trap much, an occasional practice round or two. I have been shooting more rifle and pistol. This year I plan on getting back into some trapshooting again.

Now I'm not knocking the ATA or ATA shooting, I'm saying I never had the desire to go to ATA shoots. Reasons? 1-Most the friends I shot with didn't shoot ATA. 2-ATA shoots are all day affairs which fall mostly on the weekends which didn't work out for me. 3-I couldn't see spending the extra money on targets to have my name on a national list.

Even though I haven't been an ATA shooter I believe it can help out clubs and ranges. The place I shot at held ATA shoots many times during the year and that helped support the range. The ATA shoots brought in shooters that normally wouldn't bother driving to it.

This post mentions complainers. I don't know of ANY organization that doesn't have complainers. Best thing to do if you don't like the way things are being done is to get involved and do something about it.

Joe

16. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

Average Ed, The PITA did throw registered targets in West Virgina quite a few years ago. The "On Target" you refer to was never and is not the PITA's news letter. It's heading used to say "Western Trapshooting News" and now it is
    "Western Clay Target News"

Harley Lekvold
    Life member ATA and PITA.

17. AveragEd

I'll take your word for the newsletter title, Harvey. It's been 10 years or so and memory isn't what it used to be.

Ed

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

Let me understand this.

I pay a measly $20 a year and expect perfection????

So some guys in the ATA get to play God and eventually everyone on the EC gets to be pres and he gets a Seitz (or some other toy) and I am supposed to get my undies in a bunch.

Who gives a rats ass??? I shoot to see my friends and to test my ability on targets for record. I don't need (or want) the BS of administration, dealing with a bunch of whiners, or running a shoot etc etc.

It don't matter to me if it is the ATA, PITA, or whatever new and improved organization someone comes up with. Just run a good shoot and most of us will not care.

Don

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Don, you do realise thats a buck .66 per month huh? :) BTW, I agree with your thinking!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.