1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COMCAST - Important Info about Connection Speed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by halfmile, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

go to one of the free speed test sites, a yahoo or google search will give URL's.

One of them had a top of 2mbps so I went to another(speedtest.net) and found I had 6.5mbps connection speed.

That's with Tiome Warner cable.

check yours.

HM

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Another consideration: Is your present computer new enough and/or upgraded enough to handle the fast broadband speeds?

There are multitudes of fixes for slow computer speed....do your research before going back to the stone age!!

Curt

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Back to dial up? Please, you're kidding right? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

DT, Comcast uses a hub system, not switches. So when demand is high, speed slows. It doesn't matter what speed you are paying for. If a lot of people decide to use your segment at the same time, speed slows to a crawl.

For those of you who think that any of the speed test sites are given you information you can use, I have a bridge to sell you. All of the Internet providers give priority and QOS to those routes.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Here you go. Speed Test

I have Mediacom and my speed was 7672 kbps down and 467 kbps up.

Love the down, but wish I had more up speed.

Hauxfan!

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

OK, here's my Speed Test. 12789kbps down and 1801kbps up. Even though I am paying for a faster connection, throughput on my router is limited to that because of SPI, NAT, overhead, etc. So I'm happy. The 1801kbps down is just about what you can expect for a 2Mbps link.

I'm on a FIOS switched link. When I decided to switch from Comcast I ran both for 6 months. Even though Comcast offered the same supposed "speed" I never got anywhere close to the FIOS throughput, so I canceled Comcast and stayed with FIOS. Just after the school buses dropped all the kids off in the afternoon, Comcast slowed to a crawl. FIOS appears to be unaffected.

Since I upload and download multi-MB files on a regular basis, I can say with assurance that my FIOS connection (business service) is substantially faster than Comcast for similar pricing, and a lot more consistent.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If it's available in your area, check out AT&T U-Verse. Everything comes in on your phoneline via fibre optic service, Internet, tv & landline. I switched to U-Verse back in November and love the bundled package and service. You have a choice of 5 tv packages + options and 5 internet speeds.

The total I'm paying is less than I was when I was getting seperate services. The tech support is the best I have ever encountered with all there techs here in the states and they speak english.

Eric

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

If your cable modem box is more than a few years old, swap it out with Comcast (if it's theirs), the new ones are faster. They won't tell you, but the Comcast cable tech that came to my house did... MUCH faster... Also if you have a wireless it will be a litter slower...Grubby

9. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

Try the link above. Gives good test results. You'll have to try several different locations and average them out. As for Comcast, my girlfriend has it in Philadelphia area, rated at 20MPBS. As others have stated, depending on usage, it can slow down considerably. But I've run tests in early morning and gotten 18MPBS + down and 1MPBS up.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.