1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

combo vs O/U

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Any thoughts on which might be better, a combo or an O/U? What are your thoughts with the longer barrel on a top or unsingle than say a 30" O/U? Is there an advantage with handicap targets with the longer sight plane? Of course with the O/U the prices are lower. Thanks!

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Don't know about anyone else but I shot ATA 100s today at Airport Gun Club in Lancaster OH - singles and hcp for me. 20 - 30 mph winds and I watched a short young boy, must've been about 12 shoot a Browning XT top single combo - tore it up in doubles and absolutely kicked my ass in the hcp rounds. The gun looked huge for him but must be something to be said for having one gun for all events. He was damn sure shooting it well. Back to the drawing board for me.

rm

3. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Save your money and buy a combo.Just starting used 682 gold E are priced fair and can take you all the way back along with many others.One thing you dont see many doubles on the 27 yard line. better yet hold one up in a good cross wind. I made all the mistakes on guns thats why I have so many backup guns.

Mark

4. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Yes I noticed not many 27 yarders shooting O/U's is that because of the longer sight plane or they are just better shooters that upgraded their guns along the way?

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Its personal preference. No, you don't need a combo to be successful at handicap or singles.

Except that there is a slight advantage to the single barrel if you are shooting in a wind that is strong enough to push on the side of your gun.

Don't laugh, its happened to me.

6. tammike

tammike Member

I bought a 682 gold e combo and I have to move the comb when I switch barrels. If you dont mind doing that the combos are fine. As for me I just leave the single barrel in the case now.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No doubt this is a very subjective thing but I do prefer the handling characteristics of my STB compared to the O/U configuration on my 682 for singles and Handicap targets. Could be just because I have done it that way for so long I don't know.

So being a combo shooter I would say yes they are better than just an O/U but I can't prove that as a fact. The best thing to do is try out a few and make up your own mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.