1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Combo Shooting Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by treefrog, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

Un Single 34" - Double 30" Patterned at 40 yds All fine. So why can I break them so easy with the single and they fly away un scathed with the double? Using a 682 - fitted stock, What could I be doing that I could correct ? Asking because I want to play doubles if I can catch a clue

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I believe you will find you are shooting over the birds at doubles. There is a huge difference in sight picture between a 34" barrel and a 30" one. If you put the bead on the bird to break it with the 34", you'll have to hold under the bird with the 30". The higher your POI is set, the worse the mismatch.

Let's assume you've tested all your chokes and your barrels and know they all shoot to the same POI. (That's a big assumption in the case of Beretta or Browning) Lower your comb so you are looking flat down the rib on the O/U and try that for doubles. If the barrels are regulated the way Beretta says they should be, that will give you 60/40 on the top barrel and higher on the under barrel.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's tough to find a true combo that prints all three patterns at the same POI!! Especially a combo that shoots straight to boot. Barrel regulation from the factory is nil on some models but even the high dollar models have a "Monday" gun slip by too! Too much weekend vino?

Pattern your unsingle at 30 yards to see the POI from a rifle rest. Do the same with the 30 inch barrels from a rest and you'll know how that set of barrels are regulated in relation to the single barrel. I agree with ZZT, your more than likely shooting over with the 30 inch barrels.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.