1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COMBO OR NOT TO COMBO

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Sailor, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Most manufacturers make the ultimate combo - it's called the over & under. Get it set up for you, and never change it again. No messing with different settings, no different points of impact, just spend the money you will have saved on more shooting.

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Just went through this with my wife. Bought new K80 Combo, she had been shooting friends O/U. She shoot it for first time today and had a hell of a good run with the Unsingle, much better than she had been doing with the O/U, then did good in doubles. She is glad we went the Combo route. As one poster here often states"your mileage may vary".Jake

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

go combo---I have a k-80 05' combo for sale(mint)---PM if interested---SJB---

4. superump

superump TS Member

Combo - my opinion because if you like the gun and it fits you good you have two barrels for the same gun and have more options.

5. AEP

AEP Member

I like the combo. As the above post said if the gun fits you are only changing the barrel. The only down side is if the gun fails due to something broken inside. With 2 guns there is always a back-up. I have a combo.

Andy

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Have combo--and non combo. I do not prefer combo's. I set up my singles/caps gun different than my doubles gun. If you are shooting a lot you are putting a lot of shells thru one receiver if using a combo setup............SMOKIT

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Combo all the way!

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Save yourself the misery most of us went through trying to shoot 2 guns.

Bought a Ljutic, shot it well. Bought a Browing Special Trap for doubles ....miserable. Way too much difference between the 2 guns. Sold the Browning. Bought a Perazzi doubles gun....still miserable. Felt like a yule log after shooting the Ljutic for the first 200 targets. Sold that Perazzi. Bought a Remington 3200. Complete waste of time and money. Felt like shooting a broomstick.

Bought a Kolar combo, sold everything else and have never looked back.

Probably only wasted about $5000 doing all that swapping and trading.

Whatever you get...make sure it's COMBO.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Combo.

If you don't you will always wish you had.

10. RAScott

RAScott Member

Get a Quality combo. same gun same stock same sight picture.

Bob S

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Started in 2001 with two Beretta AL-391's - then KX-5 & Browning Special Trap - then in 20066 I went to a 740 bore Kolar Combo.

Sold the KX and the Browning so that I wouldn't fall back on the other guns.

Sold one of the AL-391's and kept the other for a loaner gun.

FRedmon

Your target total may vary.......

12. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

I like a combo for the simple fact your trigger speed is the same. If you don't think it's a factor, shoot a 390 beretta and then shoot a Remington 3200. You'll be shooting behind angles for the first 100 targets until you get your mind right.

They're right, go combo.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I suggest a combo even if you don't currently shoot doubles. In many cases, it costs significantly less to buy a combo than to add a barrel later on, plus it all comes to you fit and working. Buying a barrel later may result in fitting problems, depending upon theage difference between the new barrel and the receiver.

Ed

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Smokeit,

At least go in and delete the repeats. BTW, you can set up the single barrel to shoot differently than the O/U. So maybe delete every post.

Dixie,

Most of us use combo's to save money and aggravation. It is hard enough to get one gun to fit properly. It is easier to carry a combo than two guns.

The big name combos are very reliable. But I carry a spare receiver - just in case. It is one reason I like the K-80 as any K-80 receiver will work (if the barrels are fitted). I have a TS and the spare receiver is from an older K-80. You can buy a beat up older gun and part it out. I have maybe $2500 in the spare receiver.

As triggers are the parts that normally fail, a Perazzi with drop out triggers is also a good choice.

15. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Perazzi MX Combo, spare trigger, and spare trigger springs...that's all you will ever need, and it all fits in one case!.....lb

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The combo will sell easier if that time comes.Clyde D

17. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

If you read this thread you might assume that most good shooters use Combos. Every time you see someone shooting a Alfermann,Seitz,Lujic(sp?),Bowen,KS5,TM1,TMX-- they are not shooting a combo.....SMOKIT

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If the clubs you attend throw doubles last, don't bother. You won't have anyone to shoot with when 5 pm rolls around, so a single barrel will fill the bill. If you don't shoot doubles, you don't need one.

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you like all your barrels to shoot to the same POI, then get a combo where the single and O/U barrels are the same length, or with not more than 1" difference in length.

If you like your doubles gun to shoot a much different POI than your singles and caps setup, seriously consider two guns.

I currently shoot a Perazzi 35/34 combo and love it. All barrels shoot to the same POI. However, I will tell you that my best averages were when I was shooting an MX-15 set up for 21" high for singles and caps, and a 3200 set up for 60/40 for doubles.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I prefer two different guns. Get them both tuned for the purpose and leave them alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.