1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Combo gun Vs. 2 different Guns..Which is best

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by genet1, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genet1

genet1 TS Member

Trapshooter's I have a question that's been bothering me.

Would a Combo gun set be better to own or would owning a gun for single's and one for doubles be the way to go?

I can see the benefits of both but which way have you gone on this idea.

I have a combo set now but I am thinking that might not be the best way to go.

Gene

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

For me the answer is a combo gun where all barrels shoot to the same POI and both sets have pretty close to the same MOI. It took me three years and a lot of dollars to find that out.

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Combo..........hands down...........

GS

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The only possible advantage of the two-gun set up would be longevity. The O/U should last quite a bit longer since it'd only be used only for doubles? The single, maybe a little more than a 1/3 longer.

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

The big problem with combos is to find a combo set where all 3 barrels shoot to the same spot. If you like combos, they are certainly popular; however, to keep things simple (less complicated with barrel length, balance, swing), a well-made o/u will work for all events...and costs less too unless you buy a quality o/u which costs the same as a lesser quality combo. A friend who shoots an o/u trap gun very, very well, bought a single barrel so he now has a combo and lots of frustrating problems because his new single barrel is so much "different" in many aspects than his o/u barrels. Best Regards, Ed

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would shoot the combo you have now, What type of combo do you have? What ever you where thinking of spending on "NEW" gun, I would spend it on shells/supply shoots lessons stock fitting ect ect.

7. Duck

Duck Member

zzt,

After three year's and lot's of $$$ what gun did you select?.

8. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Neither is "best", it just depends upon the shooter. What's "best" for one is crap for another. Try both and get what's "best" for you. Also, ignore the self-appointed experts who claim to know what's best for everybody.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Duck, I settled on a Perazzi 2000 receiver with a 35", 6-notch adjustable rib barrel (MX-15 rib height) and 31.5" fixed rib O/U barrels (MX-8 trap rib).

I started with the unsingle because I really liked the way it moved. I just recently made it a combo because I found a set of O/U barrels that weighed, felt and moved the same.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The ultimate, economical combo gun is the over/under or an auto-loader. Rightfully equipped, either can take a clay shooter to any game or discipline he selects on any given day. The general mantra favoring a combination set, one stock and receiver with over/under barrels and separate single barrel, is that there is some betterment by using just one stock/trigger/receiver for all trap games by just switching barrels for single shot games or doubles. The next thought prefers to have one gun specifically set up for single shot games and another for doubles providing a "back-up" gun available to you should the single barrel fail on the line. Which is dead on right? Another personal decision to be made by the shooter IMHO....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. genet1

genet1 TS Member

Thank you for the feed back.

I currently own a Beretta 687 un-single combo, I have really enjoyed the gun but my thought is if I were to have 2 guns I thought if one brakes down you have another one to shoot for a while. Now granted if you were to have problems with your singles gun you could get through it all with your doubles gun.

I know that haveing the same POI is very important and the stock fit is a must as well but I think that if you were to say get a un-single gun only then find a doubles gun (brands you can put here) the cost of the 2 could be about the same... Right

Gene

12. Mike G

Mike G Member

I believe Frank Little promoted two guns instead of a combo for the reason that singles and doubles are really two different games and therefore you can set up two different guns to shoot each discipline easier than a combo. I use to shoot a combo but have since went to a gun dedicated for each discipline and my scores have improved. Just my two cents, to each his own and you have to find what works best for you. As a bonus if your singles gun breaks you would be able to shoot your doubles gun that is at least somewhat familiar to you and not a "backup gun that people often never shoot enough to be familiar with at all. Mike

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Not trying to sound cold here......but is noit Mr. Little dead??? You know there have been many improvements since his passing.........Maybe COMBO'S are one.......Gee I would also take a look at the All American 1st and 2nd team to find the answer as well.............I already know......do you????

GS

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to be able to attend a Frank Little clinic just before he passed away. As Mike, above, stated, Frank was of the opinion that shooting doubles was entirely different from singles and handicaps, and your gun needs to be set up differently to shoot doubles correctly. While I do shoot a combo, my O/U barrels are set up to shoot a little different than my single barrel just for this reason. The bottom barrel on my O/U shoots considerably higher than the top barrel does. The top barrel of the O/U and the single barrel have the same POI. This combination allows me to take the first target very quickly and the second target becomes just another short handicap target. It takes a lot of experience and practice to find the right combination that will work for your style of shooting, but, once you find it, things get much easier. I prefer a combo gun because the gun fit, feel, and triggers all stay the same, and to me, that is paramount to good scores....Just my preference...Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.