1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comblain 16 ga lever action shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pjh, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjh

pjh Member

Hello
    I am looking for any info on a Belgian Made Comblain in a 16 ga. I have seen all sorts of info on military rifles but no shotguns. Its a lever action single shot maybe dated in the 1890's? Thanks for your help Peter Hamann

2. pjh

pjh Member

image #2

3. pjh

pjh Member

image #3

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Where were you when we were doing "unusual shotguns" a while back?

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Are you selling it?

6. pjh

pjh Member

The gun will be for sale once I establish a value.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

pjh, once you have acquired such, please PM me with price.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Here's pictures of a Comblain rifle, 11x53R. Best guess, this gun started its life as a rifle, and was either bored out, or rebarreled to 16ga, like some of the mauser rifles, or more notably the Greener/Martini guns.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chukpike/sets/72157603381364559/

Some info on pricing as a RIFLE is here: http://books.google.com/books?id=64y8aMc9tt8C&pg=PA115&lpg=PA115&dq=comblain+shotgun&source=bl&ots=lAb84JmMYO&sig=WUIFTULgjPAWjyFzgBmZ2lwagAM&hl=en&ei=C0JTS9OsGsiVtgepqcjNDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CB0Q6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=comblain%20shotgun&f=false

9. pjh

pjh Member

I also thought that it may be re-barreled but it has stampings on the barrel like it was done at the factory.. It has matching ser# on it also.. On top it has the number 480. I have seen on some rifles this is where the factory name was. I dont have any 16 ga shells here but a 20 slips in with a little room to spare. Does anyone have the diameter of a 20 vs 16? Thanks for the interest! Peter

10. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Pete,

If you are still in town on Monday, give Doug Turnbull a call, or stop at his shop.

I'm guessing if anyone could answer your question, he could.

Have fun this week, sounds like it's going to be a busy one.

Dave & Judy

11. pjh

pjh Member

Doug is out of town this week but I showed the gun to some of the guys there. They had never seen one... I will email a contact in England for some possible info. Thanks

12. pjh

pjh Member

Info for the French http://users.skynet.be/HL-Editions/comblain/comblain1.htm

13. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Sounds like the boys at Turnbull's got you a contact any way. Too bad Doug wasn't in, he may have known something. Nice to have him right in your back yard. Let us know what you find out...

Dave

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I doubt that Comblain is a conversion. I don't know much about them except that I appreciate the complexity of the action. Please email me if you choose to sell the gun. How does the bore look? How hard would it be to try a 16 gauge shell in the gun to establish gauge?

15. pjh

pjh Member

I was on the road the past few days... I will look at the bore and get a shell to fit. Thanks for the patience & interest Peter

16. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Peter,
    Very interesting single barrel. The checkering is unusual and does seem to be the same age/finish as the gun. Went thru my Flaydermans 6th and 9th editions. No such name present. But the USA usage of such single barrel SHOTGUNS were for very basic "farm use" firearms during 1880 to 1900. And were of very low cost! I read all the stuff on the Comblain rifles. I do suspect that this was converted to a shotgun at one time. Until you can get better info out of your Europe contacts. Don't jump to conclusions that it is a "16 gauge" unless the weapon is stamped with such. Shotgun ammo was not standarized until approx. 1910. Shotgun ammo was stamped 12A, 12B or 12C and differed greatly!! You will have to do some long distance history digging on this one. It is in very nice shape for its age....130 years old!
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jet Boat Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
32 gauge comblain

comblain shotgun

comblain shotguns
lever action 16 ga