1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Comb Washers Too Expensive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

There is a certain company that is well known in our small world. From time to time, that company mfgs. a good trapgun and also does well-known stock work and checkering.

However, that company charges 22 buck for 14 color coded stock washers. I finally said "enough" and told them not to send me their newsletter anymore.

I cannot respect this midwestern company that appears to gouge the shooter with big implicit smiles and references to "G-d"...I asked why the washers cost so much, and the owner never responded. (Question posed via e letter...)

This is what I consider blatant fleecing of the the public no matter how nice a distaff employee does checkering. Any thoughts on this, or am I really wrong re. the true cost of plastic washers? Maybe washers do cost upwards of 25 cents each if some trap guru blesses them or something? Maybe the alleged distaff employee/relative charges a huge wage for the checkering and that wage has to be covered elsewhere. Or maybe there is just plain old greed driving this, this during rough economic times?
  2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I've always gotten mine from my local TrueValue hardware store. Mark
  3. APrice

APrice Active Member

Yep, you're wrong. They have every right to ask whatever they want for them, and you have every right to buy them or not buy them. If it's not something you want to do, just move right along.
  4. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Member

I know the company your refering to,and I will not do buisness with them.I needed a pan for my reloading scale ,and because the order was not over $25,they charged me $25 extra for "fees" That smiling @#%&* can rot.But thats just how I feel. Ray
  5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

They probably figure that anyone who'd pay $15,000 for a pipe attached to a board,will pay a buck and half for a plastic washer.
  6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I agree with points taken thus far about one having the ability to buy or not to buy. However, not all shooters are well-heeled and, therefore, an ability to afford certain support items for their shotguns is sportsmanlike. Not all shooters have or can afford the 15 K gun, but may wish to "tune" a modified 870 or 391 or a worked over Model 12, for that matter. Therefore, I protest, particularly when the advertiser speaks kindness and human support and empathy, implicitly, using His name when referencing other events in his communications.

I find this to be mildly hypocritical. And yes, I will admit to have a fondness for stirring the pot when I see greed wraped behind a smiley presentation, particularly when His name is sometimes alluded to.
  7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

I know and like the individual you're referring to, but I happen to agree with you.
  8. blade819

blade819 Active Member

Buy them from Lowes and spray paint them.

blade819
  9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

No matter how much money one has it is still human nature to save money and not spend like a sailor. I buy them at lowes and I am not ashamed to say so.
  10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hmmm....thanks for heads up about Lowe's. Actually, I'm pretty much dialed in with my trapgun now, but just have not shot much since June due to other issues, not bad things, but good things getting in the way...like a new to us cabin to work on.

But...back in junior high, I remember the "handycraft shop" had some kind of dye that would permeate plastics when heated and plastic dipped into the solution. Maybe it was something as simple as food dye or beet juice for the red dye?

I do know that most dyes of today are "aniline", that is man made vs. vegetable based. Chemists, where are dyes for hobby use sourced, or is Rit good enough to work on poly or nylon types of plastics?
  11. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Once I get my comb height where it needs to be, I cut pieces of PVC pipe to the correct length and paint them black. Then if I add a washer to each post for handicap, they stand out and I can tell at a glance at which height the comb is set.

Ed
  12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Let's see, color coded washers, the ones I am complaining about, cost $22.00 for fourteen. I don't know if that includes shipping and handling. Let's see, that's $1.57 per washer. Maybe at holiday/sales time, the price is reduced by 10% and shipping is thrown in for anybody in the lower 48!!! That must be a wonderful deal given that the washers are touted as the "world's best"..

I'm missing something here.

One question, Average Ed, it sounds like a strong act of skill to cut pvc pipe at such relatively short lengths with accuracy/squareness. Kudos for that!!!
  13. build4u

build4u TS Member

I have not done it in years however You use Rit dye with the nylon and boil it on the stove for the color to take all the way. It may not have been to a boil I can not remember however it does not take long for the dye to take.
  14. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

averaged_2008_0303343.jpg

averaged_2008_0303344.jpg

Thanks but it isn't that tough and they come out looking pretty good.

Ed
  15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks for some very resourceful ideas. Sometimes, I wish that more of the enterprising "backyard and hot rod" spirit existed among individual trapshooters developing ideas...ideas that can be shared to save us all $$ so we can shoot more.

Right now, I am trying to "imagineer" building a smaller wooden and protective cover for shotguns placed in the back of my pickup, locked, and under camper shell at the range. Something that hides the shotguns, protects them, and does not cost super big bucks like some of the fancy slide out drawer type of arrangements. I appreciate any ideas out there...requirements: Smaller, light weight, and relatively low cost; at best, able to be made from dimensional lumber, even scrap lumber. I do believe any setup can look good when painted flat or semi-gloss black or Zolotone?
  16. Harv Shell

Harv Shell Active Member

It seems like you have an axe to grind with Dennis DeVault & Co. over something more than these washers. As others have stated, no one is making you buy anything from anybody. Why you make all these allusions and bring up checkering, etc is beyond me. Profit is not a dirty word, you must be an Obama supporter if you think he should make these and sell them at cost.<br>
    I am proud to count Dennis, Cindy and company as my friends, as I know many others here do also. If you think the washers cost too much, move on, but leave your personal crap out of it. Harv Shell
  17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hey, I have no ax to grind whatsoever re. the seller(s) of the washers. The act of selling things at prices that seem way overpriced, and maybe not, rubs me the wrong way and I finally went up to the plate to complain. The ax I have to grind is over behaviors, not individuals..behaviors being a pricing schedule.

See, I have never felt that being "professional" means not saying "sh@8" when one's mouth is full of it.

I am glad that this Mr. Devault is a good friend of yours, I've never met or dealt with the gentleman, but probably would like him since a fine individual such as yourself came to his defense. We all need good friends in these difficult times and wish anybody involved in this sport the very best. My complaints are not personal, my complaints are meant to be practical and, to use my overused term, a heads up. I too am guilty for being extravagent in this sport...and high prices and extravagences can hardly encourage and help the future, youngsters and the "Average Joe" find motivation to join and participate in the shooting sports.

Oh, to Shotshell. I hope you don't have a reading/comprehension problem. I never said I was against somebody making a profit. And calling people an "Obama Supporter" for having a differing opinion re. fiscal/profit responsibilities is akin to Obama's "blaming Bush" for everything. Both shopworn, both missing the point. But if I were to follow your logic, somebody who negotiates a price in a business meeting is, ergo, an "Obama Supporter" by not going along with the seller's desire for that seller's desired profit margin.
  18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well they also sell a closer (accessory) for a Beretta auto that costs around $79.00 I am sure it, like the washers, is well worth it, and I am a poor judge of quality and value.

In fairness, when looking back at that site, adjustable pad plate is rather fair at $55.00.

All this beats me, and I was just looking for some color coded washers for my toolkit and felt very pi&&ed off re. the price schedule. So I opted not to buy, not only ticked at the price, but also that apparently I, the shooter, was maybe expected to shell out $1.57 a washer. Makes gasoline at 4 bucks a gallon seem like a relative bargain.

Hmmm....one ought to go into the colored washer business, and I don't mean Maytags!
  19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Active Member

Comb washers? This threads about comb washers?!!

Not about shot prices, wad or primer prices, but spacer prices? Something that will last for years?

Give us a break, pleeeeeze...
  20. docbombay

docbombay Member

At $1.57 per washer I would have $65.97 invested in comb adjustment!

docbombay_2011_020125.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.