1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COMB SLAP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ron y, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron y

ron y TS Member

I HAVE A KOLAR TS WITH NO 1 STOCK,,I HAVE ADDED PIDGEON PORTING,SOFT TOP COMB AND A RAD RECOIL SYSTEM,,PITCH IS NEUTRAL,,GUN IS SHOOTING 70-30 I AM STILL GETTING A GOOD BITE IN THE CHEEK,,ANY IDEAS,,I LOVE THE GUN AND ONLY SHOOT 3DRAM LOADS,,,?????

2. laura!

laura! Member

Ron, Have experienced the bruised cheek also. You need to adjust your comb. Your comb needs to drop slightly in the front. If you take a straight edge and line it up longways with your barrel your comb should be slightly "downhill" towards your reciever. If it is "uphill" as the gun comes back when you shoot, your taking a smack on the face. Try that. If that isn't enough then see if you can angle the comb so there is more cast off in the front of the comb than in the rear. Same concept, the gun is moving away from you face when it recoils. Surprisingly this will not affect you ability to sstay in the gun for shooting doubles.
    Good luck.
    Laura

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Fix the pitch.

4. Kolarmaxx

Kolarmaxx TS Member

Old gun fitter helped me with my Kolar. Move the front of the comb a little further right of the rear of the comb. A little offset has the comb move away from your face as the gun comes back. Works great and cured my Kolar slap.
    Chris Gallagher

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Short and to the origin of your pain, great advice from JBrooks above! Hap

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Adjust the pitch

Matt

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put washers on top screw of butt pad between pad and stock. This will increase negative pitch and will usually reduce the slap. HMB

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Rony,

Although inadequate pitch is a common cause of cheek slap (what you're experiencing), there are others. "Neutral" pitch on your stock does not mean that it is correct for you and your posture when shooting.

The pitch is correct "for you" when the pad makes simultaneous contact, top to bottom, with your shoulder pocket when you mount the gun. Your mount should such that the top of the recoil pad, the heel, is even with the top of your shoulder, right on your collarbone.

Another cause of cheek slap is the heel of the stock being too near the level of the rib for the length of your neck. This describes a condition known as "inadequate drop at the heel".

A low gun mount or a stock with too little drop at the heel for the length of your neck will require your head and neck to be leaned forward to place your cheek on the comb. The portion of your cheek that makes contact is both more pointed and has more pain receptors than does the portion of the cheekbone that is a little farther back to wards your ear.

Cheek slap can also be caused by raising your cheek off the comb during swings. Head-raising can be caused by the comb being at the wrong height relative to the rib for your facial configuration (the distance of your cheekbone below your eye). Having to lean, tilt or turn your head to place your cheek on the comb can also be involved because it can vary the amount of flesh between your cheekbone and the comb.

Soft combs often help reduce or even eliminate cheek slap but that approach address a symptom, i.e. cheek slap while ignoring whatever is causing it, always the best way to solve a problem.

So, first, check the pitch on your stock. If it is correct for you, have someone look at the position of your head when your gun is mounted. If your head and/or neck is leaned forward or turned very far toward the stock, address that flaw in your gun mount. Raise your gun mount or add a pad adjuster to allow the pad to be lowered and your head and neck to be in an upright position when you shoot.

Rollin

9. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I had a really bad case of getting cheek slap. I would walk off the line bleeding. It cost me alot of money to solve the problem. The problem was simple but took me a long time to figure it out. My comb was too low causing me to tilt my head forward to stay into the gun. When you cant get your head any lower to stay into the gun you roll your head forward to get your eye sight looking down the pipe. When you do that you put your cheek bone right to the wood. Higher comb kept my head upright and the pain was gone. Put your trigger finger(pointing forward) against your cheek like it was the comb of the gun with your head upright and your other hand extended pointing forward like you were pointing a gun. Roll your head forward while keeping your finger level and see where your cheek bone ends up. OUCH!! Hope this helps you or someone else that reads this. Good Luck, I feel your pain.

10. laura!

laura! Member

Try everything Rollin suggested before you try my advise. As soon as I read what he wrote I grabbed the allen wrenches and got to work. Can't wait to shoot again...

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

fix the pitch

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I suspect that the stock does not fit you. All the stuff added to an inproperly designed stock won't make it fit. If there is an inproper offset or twist the gun can't transfer the recoil streight in to your shokder where it belongs. The recoil reducer may be compounding the problem. Get a Custom stock built. you can call me @ 609 231 6187 or Call Dennis Devault at Devault industries.

Joe Goldberg

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Jbrooks is correct. It is most likely the pitch. I did not often feel the slap but I did on occasion. When I discovered a gap between the top of the pad and my shoulder I installed a tappered shim under the recoil pad ith the wide part at the heel. This filled the gap and provided resistance to the recoil, at the heel of the stock, thereby preventing the muzzle from jumping. The gun instatnly became more comfortable to shoot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.