1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

comb shaving

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by boudreaux 1, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boudreaux 1

boudreaux 1 TS Member

I own a browning superposed and would like to have my comb lowered. Could anyone refer me to someone who can do quality stock modification? I am not really interested in adding an adjustable comb. Is it possible to do this without being able to see the repair?
    Thanks

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What you want done is best done in person. Where are you located?

Eric

3. boudreaux 1

boudreaux 1 TS Member

I live in both Richmond Va and Raleigh NC.
    Thomas

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with Eric's advice. Visiting a craftsman is the best way to determine how much the comb would need to be lowered.

One way you could quite accurately estimate the distance would be to stack narrow strips of balsa from a hobby shop on top of your existing rib. When you find the thickness of the balsa that allows you to look down the rib the way you prefer, you have also determined how much the comb would need to be lowered. Unless your comb is parallel with the gun's rib, this method would not be free of risk, however.

When the comb is lowered, its thickness can also be changed if you like. It can be made broader or tapered like it is at present. This can be important because it has an effect on the horizontal position of your eye relative to the gun's rib.

Another often preferred option is to install an add-on rib. These ribs come in a number of heights and are placed on top of your existing rib. They eliminate the need to lower your cheek farther, which is necessary when wood is removed from the top of a comb. Add-on ribs also eliminate the need to refinish the stock.

Rollin

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Now, I know that this may go against your most heartfelt beliefs, but Mark Duprez (Master Stock Maker and modifier) and the Country Gentleman (gun fitting) will be at the NorthSouth skeet tournament at Prince Georges County Trap and Skeet Center on Jun 8 - 10th (just kidding....but if you can drag yourself to a skeet tournament, these guys are good...particularly Duprez as far as stock work goes :).

Duprez may also be at the Great Eastern skeet tournament in Richmond (the Issac Walton League fields east of town) the week end after the NorthSouth (the GE starts on Thurs).

If this is of interest and you need directions, etc...take the xxx's out:

nort-southxxx@comcast.net

Stephen

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

oooops....that's north-southxxx@comcast.net

I fat fingered it in above post.

7. boudreaux 1

boudreaux 1 TS Member

I am strongly considering a Poly-Choke add on rib. Does anyone have any experience with these ribs? I contacted them and they said they can fit to any height, even customize for a "stepped rib" appearance. Rollin, the balsa wood trick sounds like I great idea. A friend of mine owns a Diamond Grade Winchester that fits me perfectly so I have that to measure from too.

Thomas

8. boudreaux 1

boudreaux 1 TS Member

I am strongly considering a Poly-Choke add on rib. Does anyone have any experience with these ribs? I contacted them and they said they can fit to any height, even customize for a "stepped rib" appearance. Rollin, the balsa wood trick sounds like I great idea. A friend of mine owns a Diamond Grade Winchester that fits me perfectly so I have that to measure from too.

Thomas

9. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Either raise the rib or lower the comb gives the same effect.
    If you want to see the repairs of lowering the comb why not buy an inexpensive vibrator sander and paper and do it yourself? If you do, only take off half of what you want and blend the rest of the comb in to that, as you blend the rest will come in. You can shoot it for effect until you have it to your desired height.........Your call!

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

lkn4rocks- Most comb jobs involve taking off at least 1/8 inch of wood. This would be quite a job with a vibrating sander. Also, keeping the comb parallel is difficult with a vibrating sander.

boudreaux 1- You live part time about 2 hours from me. I still have my vertical belt sander set up. It has a 2.5 foot flat cutting surface. I could show you how to do it in just a couple of minutes if you are interested. You would have to clean up the dust.

Stephen probably gave you the simplest way to get the job done.

Pat Ireland

11. pjh

pjh Member

I can help you out... The finish is a little hard to match but can be done. The trick is to keep the comb flat and parallel. Dont just sand it. Keep checking the comb with a straight edge. Most wood darkens with time. I have been able to get very close. drop a line if you are interested. Peter Hamann CRV Custom Arms / Rochester NY

12. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

You guys know best I'm sure but a vibrating sander with course paper will take off a lot of wood quickly along with assorted finer grit for final finishing....A straight edge can verify just how and where along the comb the material needs to be removed to maintain the parallel of the comb....A two hour drive at $3.00 + a gallon, well I don’t know but I think I could use that 2 hours to sand the comb and the gas money to buy the straight edge and the vibrating sander but then that’s just me....Good luck with the comb no matter how you do it and break lots of clays.

13. JLW

JLW TS Member

If you do it yourself, lay the gun upside down on a table, making sure to avoid laying it on the barrel beads. If you have a paralell comb you will want to keep it. If not, look to see how much will need to come off at comb to make it that way.

I'd suggest Oswalds method to determine how much needs to come off and then, file less off and shoot it for POI. You can always take more.-Jerald

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Good point Jerals. In fact with a few tools, the stock can be cut at a club. I often fit stocks at the club. I would take off a little wood and have the person shoot a round or so and then make modifications. Now that Precision Fit Stocks are available, if I were to do it again, I would use one as a try stock and then transfer the measurements to the persons gun.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lowering the comb on diamond grade trap