1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comb & POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

When I place a straight edge along the rib of my unsingle I get a measurement off both the front and rear of my comb of 1 3/8"
    When I do the same with my O/U barrel I get 1 5/16" at the front and 1 1/4" at the back of the comb. So I'm assuming the O/U shoots higher than the unsingle.
    If I would adjust my comb so that it measured the same as my unsingle, would that make the top barrel of the O/U shoot approx. the same POI as the unsingle?

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Really no way to tell until you pattern the barrel.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

In theory, making the adjustment you suggest would set both the o/u bbls andd the unsingle bbl to the same POI. But, and it can be a big "but" it would actually depend on how the o/u bbls are regulated. In other words, the o/u bbls may already be regulated/set at the factory to shoot the same POI as the unsingle just as they are. Or may be set to some other POI entirely. In practice, the under bbl is often set (in combos at least) to a different POI than the over bbl for trap guns in order to best work for doubles. The only way you can tell is to pattern the unsingle as you currently are set up, then pattern each bbl of the o/u set to see where they print. If, in fact the lower bbl of the o/u set is lower than the unsingle, then you could try to adjust the comb to see if you can match the bbl sets. In practice, if you have an adjustable rib on the unsingle, it is best to set the comb using the o/u bbls, then leaving the comb alone, use the adjustable rib to regulate the unsingle POI. Once that is done, then you can switch between bbls wihout having to doing any adjustments to the comb.

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree. Even if two guns have the same measured drop at the comb, the POIs could be different. Different comb widths (rounded or pointed)can result in different eye-heights that change the guns' POIs.

Stock dimensions other than the drop at the comb can also affect a gun's POI. Other stock dimensions can affect shooting form, especially gun mounts and stance, which can affect head movement during swings. Head movement has a lot to do with POIs and overall shooting accuracy.

Head movement during swings can also be caused by subtle differences in gun mounts, which can result from differences in two guns' stock dimensions. Differences in stock dimensions cause differences in shooting form, which can cause differences in points of impact.

Rollin

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

jbmi, how do you like your B gun? Hap

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

HAP, my A gun is a Kolar, my B gun is a 90T. Last fall at a local registered shoot I shot another 100 followed by a 196 with my B gun. It's darn hard to leave the B gun cased. :)

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

:) use the B!! lol Hap

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have an MX3 which was an O/U with fixed rib and chokes and last year I bought a fixed rib Top single barrel for it to make a combo. To illustrate what the others have posted, I see more rib when shooting the O/U barrels but the Single barrel has a higher POI and that works fine for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.