1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COMB / POI

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coffee, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

A friend's gun is shooting to the left. Comb has been FULLY adjusted. Any IDEAS on how to get PATTERN moved??.....THANKS COFFEE

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Before you do anything, tell us why you think it's shooting to the left.

Neil

3. coffee

coffee Member

NEIL He patterned his gun at 12yds and has his COMB adjusted to the max. Also patterened at 30yds. Same thing.....Thanks COFFEE

4. ChetH

ChetH Member

Can you tell us more about 'comb adjusted to the max'?

chet

5. Neil Winston

Did he do it off a rest or freehand, coffee? If it's off a rest he's got trouble (maybe, maybe not) ; if freehand he has to go back and make sure.

And second, you've mentioned the comb being adjusted to the max twice. So here's another question: Now the comb is as far right as possible, is he now looking straight down the rib? Absolutely, dead-nuts straight down the rib?

Neil

6. coffee

coffee Member

NEIL.... YES, from a rest both times. Total 4 targets. Twice for each distance. And YES looking straight down the rib. Not a novice. Also he is shooting a KS5 for what its worth.....Thanks COFFEE

7. Neil Winston

coffee, I'm willing to venture a guess that he's got a problem. Having someone else shoot it would be nice, but just single shots at maybe a half-dozen crosses. This is particularly important if he's got a release trigger in it; many, many release-trigger shooters pull the shots to the left. I do when I shoot a release as well, but I'm not used to them.

Does the barrel look bent to the left? Does it have choke tubes (maybe an easy fix there)? Has the choke or barrel been worked on?

We're getting there - this is a group effort - and will have a recommendation by this evening, I'm sure.

Neil

8. Neil Winston

If he's looking straight down the barrel and rib, DA, it makes no difference.

Neil

9. nicky

nicky Member

As stated have someone else try it also. You did say or make reference that you are shooter's and shooting is not new to you, having said that we'll forget the amateur stuff. So food for though, I know someone who purchased a Browning and all but one choke would shoot where he wanted it to. Come to find out one of the choke tubes were bad and Browning replaced it. So possibly try all the choke tubes if the gun has tubes in it. Also the gun is used, KS-5 ? , do you know the history of the gun ? Is the rib ok ?. Also check to make sure the front bead is straight and center'd, a 1/16 of an inch multiplied out to 30 yds. could make a difference.

Kevin

10. coffee

coffee Member

Neil...I will have him over WED. I will shoot the gun. Does not have a release trigger. We will check the barrel then. The gun is a Full choke. Until Wed.... Thanks to all...........COFFEE

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Want to know if the gun shoots true, give it to the serious long yardage riffle shooters, They had many gizzmos at hand when I was had issues with my XT. These guys had several bore lazers. one stuck in the muzzle the other in the chamber. They also had a very good bench and riffle rest. Is it the gun or the shooter, proof out the gun. Taken advice on this one. You need more than four shots....way more. Neil W really got me on track.

12. coffee

coffee Member

Neal & ALL....UPDATE. He was over today and I shot the gun 1st. The gun is dead on!! That is, after adjusting the comb for myself.(straight barrel)
    He consistantly hits top left corner and comb is maxed out. Once managed to center it off hand. Even with his adjustments I can adjust center it. Seems like a visual / mech. problem. Its a cold day here and extra clothing. Still the problem exist. ...Thanks to ALL.........COFFEE

13. Neil Winston

That's why I asked so many questions right at the start, coffee. You've got to be careful with this POI stuff because it is subject to many variables which you _have_ to control for or you may end up doing (and paying for) exactly the wrong thing.

Test and re-test, then test again. If there's trouble, get someone else to shoot the gun. Somewhere in there, the truth will appear. Don't accept "off shooting" as a fact until all other explanations have been rules out. But then, in the end, if it does shoot wrong then it does, and there no point in wasting a single added shot until it's fixed. I don't know how many cases I seen when unacceptable performance is documented and the shooter/owner won't accept the evidence of his own eyes. It's the old horse & water problem.

Good work, by the way. You did exactly right and saved your friend who knows how much over the coming years.

Neil

14. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Guys, this is great stuff. I'm going through this problem right now as well. I have a ljutic mono gun with a 34'barrell, fixed full choke. I made it too the 27 yard line and noticed that I was missing straight always. We took the gun over to the pattern board, and shot 5 times from 13 yards and again from 40 yards and found that the pattern was to the left of center (I would say by an inch or so). I have an adjustable comb that goes up and down, but not side to side. I also have an adjustable graco butt plate for my recoil pad. I took a piece of credit card and cut it to fit on my stock to cant it to the right and need to test it again. Once we see if the adjustment works, I was going to have my stock guy put an insert on my stock to make it permanent.

Any other suggestions?

15. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Just noticed this thread and perhaps have an idea on the problem. Since the gun shoots fine for you, but not for the owner, I would think that that the problem does not lie with the gun at all, but the shooter. It sounds very much like he may have an eye dominance problem. In this case (if a right hand shooter) it sounds like he is actually (abeit subconciously) sighting with the left eye instead of right, which would of course, pull the muzzle to the left. Eye dominance problems can arise at any time, with just about any one, and can cause many problems in shooting.

One thing you/he may want to try is to install one of the sight blinders available. These simply stick to the rib, via a self adhesive tape, and prevent the left eye from seeing the bead, and thus pulling the gun off target. Note that all of this "sighting" is subconcious since the object is to see the target, not the beads. But it occurs just the same. (reverse the blinder if shooter is left handed of course, and has right eye dominance problem.

16. nicky

nicky Member

Food for thought, possibly shouldering the gun too far out on the arm ?. Check and make sure gun gun is in tight, chest the gun not shoulder the gun. Bringing it more vertically in line with the eyes. If this helps then look into an adjustable buttpad or a stock with more cast ?.

Kevin

17. Neil Winston

more?

Neil

18. nicky

nicky Member

Neil, If asking more ?, on the cast. If a right hand shooter places the gun in to the left of the shoulder pocket more and this helps. Then a right hand stock with more cast will put the recoil pad back out in the shoulder pocket where it is comfortable. Also at the same time placing the line of site down the rib in a more straight vertical alignment with the eye. And also keep from having to lean the head over to the right to fit the gun. Just my thoughts.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.