1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comb height

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PAR8HED, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Ok, when I mount the gun I end up tilting my head slightly to the right. (right hand shooter) I was thinking of an adjustable comb until I tried putting a towel on the comb. When I did that, the beads did not line up at all. So... live with it as is? Options??
    Thanks!
    Hal

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get package of Dr. Scholls moleskin and cut it in narrow strips and place on top of comb. Add strips until your head is straight and the beads are lined up left and right. Forget about figure 8.

Then take the gun and see if you can break targets better. HMB

3. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

If he needs more offset, and it sounds like he does, adding "moleskin" to the top will not correct this problem. Only make his gun shoot higher. An adjustable comb, with offset and height movement, fitted by a competent gun fitter, would probably be his best choice.

4. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Is your left eye trying to take over?? Mount the gun with your left eye (assuming right handed) closed and see if the gun now lines up.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I tentatively agree that the comb probably needs to be moved to the right - UNLESS you are tilting your head to lower your eye relative to the rib and UNLESS the plumpness of your cheek would still prevent your head moving to the right with an adjustable comb.

With that in mind, it is just possible that you need cast in the stock through bending it or re-inletting it to the receiver or action in which cast that could introduce a problem with the cast at the heel that would also be created while adding cast at the comb.

A visit to a good stock fitter would be your best bet. He would identify the problem and suggest a solution because we haven't yet identified why you are tilting your head, what creates the need to tilt it, facial structure or stock dimensions.

Rollin

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Whew, lots to get through. First, I am left eye dominant and a right shooter. (dammit) I've tried the switch and felt like I was a hazard to everyone on the line. My cure, with good results is to call for the bird with both eyes open, see the bird flight and close one eye as I come through the bird and pull the trigger. (Sight picture is bead slightly under for straights and slightly ahead for L/R) As an aside, after shooting around 1500 last fall I was amazed how much this game slows down for me,

I was wondering if offset was part of the problem. If I mount with my head upright, the top of the comb hits around my lower jaw area. I tilt my head over and set the comb just under the cheek bone and get a perfect figure 8. I had heard about the moleskin fix and that is why I draped a towel over the stock, see if it would work. That when I noticed I was seeing alot more rib and no figure 8. Back to head scratching for me.

So would the cure be more offset and a slightly raised comb? Does length of pull factor into this? I'm about 1/2 inch to long and definitely going to get a new pad put on soon.

Thanks all!
    Hal

7. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

PAR8HED, If you are relativly new to the game I would urge you to not give up on the idea of shooting left handed. It is something you can work on at home, getting the mechanics and muscle memory down. I fought the cross dominate thing for years, after a long lay off I started shooting left handed and put the cross dominance problem behind me for ever. gyrine

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've also read of guys that have lost their right eye or had problems that required not shooting or becoming left handed. All the stories suggest it takes some time and terrible scores but the switch does eventually come around. Give yourself many months, maybe a year and stick to it.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

9. Rollin Oswald

Hal,

Following a target with both eyes open and with your dominant left eye creating the mental and slightly future sight picture and then closing that eye and making the right eye take over and recreate a sight picture as the barrel approaches the target has to be mentally confusing.

The mind is very busy during swings. There is considerations regarding balance, a lot of muscle contractions in the arms, waist, legs, hands, neck, etc, etc, which the primarily subconscious mind deals with. Then there is memory, which is drawn upon.

When you add "switching" the eye that is creating a sight picture, it involves both memory and muscle contractions. This must take place in just a few milliseconds. Your ability to really focus and center on targets must suffer greatly.

I do not understand why or how the comb hits your lower jaw. It should make contact with your cheek just under your cheekbone, with snug pressure of your cheek on the comb or am I failing to understand, i.e. missing something?

Is your comb parallel with the rib or barrel or are you using a "field" stock with a comb that angles upward?

Just hazarding a guess, I suspect that in trying to shoot with your head upright, the recoil pad might need to be lower, farther below the level of the rib. If you could possibly provide a couple of photographs, they might be helpful.

What happens if you raise your gun mount on your shoulder to a height that allows your head to be upright? Is the top of the recoil pad well above your shoulder?

10. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Thanks for the replies. Better add a few details. My gun is an Ithaca Perazzi and the comb does not come up to the top of the rib. It has what I would call a Monte Carlo style stock on it. When I mount with my head upright, the pad is about an inch above my shoulder. I will try and get a photo out in the near future. If anyone knows a fitter in Minnesota, let me know!

As for the rest, no worries about me giving this up. After my first 25, I was completely hooked. This will be my 1st season of ATA this year and I cannot wait for it to start! (How to make a 44 year old feel 21 again.) On the line I try to keep one thought, shoot through the bird. Over or under is not in my mind, just shoot through it. I'm also focused on seeing the bird the moment it leaves the house. I think about it like seeing the ball leave the pitchers hand. Better know if it is a fastball or curve or you may be standing with the bat on your shoulder. See the bird, shoot through it.

The more I shoot, the "slower" things seem to happen. It seems like I have more time to get the mental picture to meet the sight picture. I'm sure you long time shooters know this. But I will definitely add your comments to my training when the temp get above -10F here. Could be the reason I am stuck at consistent 21s and not improving.

Again, thank you all.
    Hal

11. Rollin Oswald

Hal,

The first thing that seems to be indicated is the installation of a "stock" or "pad adjuster". These units allow lowering of the recoil pad so the upper portion of it can be on your collarbone, which will allow your head and neck to be upright without raising your gunmount as you now have to do.

If you can't find a good stock fitter, consider ordering a copy of my book, "Stock Fitter's Bible" (URL above).Visiting a good stock fitter would make getting your gun to fit easier though.

Your weather will warm about the time mine does near Green Bay, WI.

Rollin

12. DBax

DBax TS Member

Im right Handed , but left eye dominant , I cant imagine shooting on the right handed side , to learn to shoot lefthanded start at home , go through your gun mount 50-100 times a day . you'll be fine...Dean

13. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Thanks again. Gun mounts are now part of my evening relaxation. I'll start working on lefts again. The first time I tried it, I felt so clumsy on the line that I figured I was a hazard to myself and the others there. Old story, practice, practice, practice.

Hal

14. Rollin Oswald

Hal,

Click on the above website URL (above) and then on the trap shooting forum. Scroll down and have a look at the thread titled, "Vision". You may find it helpful.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.