1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comb adjustment ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KelleyPLK, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

I have very simular problem except mine is straight away birds ! That I watch sail off with disbelief that I missed the target probley cause I peeked slightly lifted my head somewhat wanting to watch bird break ! Oh Well
    I'll break a hundred from 27 week before I die LOL

Pat Kelley

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. Mine is caused by not having a dominant eye. I'm a righty. If I rotate my head a little to the right so I see the beads offset, I get centered hits. The correct amount of offset for me is the center of the middle bead in line with the left edge of the front bead.

BTW, this only works for an automatic move to the target. It does not work for aiming. Phil Kiner suggested I try this to keep my left eye from taking over. It didn't cure that, but at least I now get centered hits.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Franz,

There are several possibilities/causes for patterns going left. One is that your choke is not alighted with the bore. Another is that you are moving your cheek away from the stock, decreasing its pressure on the stock.

If it happens with targets moving to the right, you may be moving your stock away from your cheek (and eye) because you are arm-swinging rather than using body rotation at the waist and hips.

Still another is the possibility is that you are moving the gun to the left as you pull the trigger or changing your grip on the forearm just prior to firing and your fingers are moving the gun to the left as a result.

Rollin

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It sounds as if you REALLY need to work on your grip and go from there. You should have a firm grip on the forearm and wrist of the stock at all times. If you grab the gun by the forearm and hold the gun out with your arm all the way extended, THAT is the amount of grip that you need when mounting the gun. No pussyfooting when it comes to grip.

JMHO!!!!

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Try this in your living room...........mount the gun in the usual manner with your grip hand dominant and your fore hand just holding up the front of the gun, looking right straight down the rib if your comb is adjusted properly.

Now......relax the hold a little with you grip hand, allowing more of the guns weight to be supported by the fore hand, you'll notice the gun point will move just slightly to the left (assuming right-handed).

Sounds to me that on those targets that you are missing or chipping on the left side that you are perhaps inadvertently relaxing your grip with the right hand?

John C. Saubak

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Don't think this was mentioned above, but you might check to see if you are canting your gun.

Steve

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Are you looking right down the rib? Why would you want to change that based only a few breaks (most are dead center, you say.)

You would be a great candidate for an experiment I wish someone would do. Move the comb the opposite way from theory and see what happens. This would at least check the logic of your plan. If you get way more one-sided hits (and of the theoretically correct type) then go the other way. If not, go back to where you are now. The idea is that you should twice the confidence in your analysis, based, as it would be, on two oppositely-predicting tests.

Neil

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Franz- I have another thought. You mentioned the possibility that you are not pressing down hard enough on the comb. You should press down very lightly with your head and press the stock up to your face very firmly. Push up with your hands, not down with your head. Also, with your wrist,twisting the stock a little into your cheek could help. Remember, stock to face, not face to stock.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.