1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Comb adjustment question..

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grnberetcj, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

When lowering a comb, what is the ratio between lowering the comb and the point of impact at 32 yds.?

My problem: I have a 682 Gold E, 34" top single which shoots an entire pattern high at 32 yds. with the comb lowered as much as possible. The 32" O/U barrels shoot approx. 12 - 15 inches high at the same distance.

So, for each 1/8" of comb drop what will be the POI drop at 32 yds.?

Thanks...

Curt - Delaware

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Here's how I calculate it. With my 35" barrel there are 45" between my eye and the bead. That's one eye-bead unit, for me. So if I lower the comb by 1/8", the gun will shoot 1/8" lower 54" from the muzzle, or 1" lower at 8x54", etc.

In 32 yards there are 1152". Divide 1152 by 54 to find the number of eye-bead units, 21.33 in this case, the multiply by the amount you offset your comb. For your 1/8" offset, the gun will shoot 2.667" lower at 32 yards.

A 1/8" change at the comb changes POI by 1" @ 12 yards, 2" @ 24 yards and 3" @ 36 yards. For in-between distances, just approximate.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

For most guns and shooters, there will be about 36" (or one yard) between the front bead and the shooters eye. Any change in position of the eye will result in X times that change for any distance of X yards.

For example: At 40 yards, 1/8" change in comb height would result in 40 times 1/8 = 5" change in POI.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Thanks for the information gentlemen, very much appreciated.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.