1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

colt revolver help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bucrub, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucrub

bucrub TS Member

I'm looking for some help in finding a good competent gunsmith that is capable of working on a Colt Python trigger. I was directed to one previously and made the mistake of taking someone else's word that the guy was competent. My mistake!! What I now have is a trigger the won't function properly because it drops the hammer too slow unless the trigger is jerked. All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I took a used Python to armorer's school. Once I completely stripped it, it took the instructor and I 2 days to get the damn thing correctly timed. I would send it to Colt. They are probably the most difficult revolver there is to work on. You actually have to bend the leaf spring, reinstall, test...take apart bend again, etc., etc.

JON

3. Mike

Mike Member

Years ago I took my Python to a gunsmith for a trigger job, he had it over 6 months. When I got it back he said he'd never do another. Mik

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I guess this dates me, but back in the day, I was a Colt's Registered Gunsmith. First thing, make sure the sideplate is TIGHT. If so, the gun probably should go back to Colt's. I have not worked on a Python in years. I would be glad to look it over, but chances are, your "smith" removed metal that cannot be replaced. These arms are closely hand fitted. Colt's will have an old head on board and parts on hand for your gun.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

bucrub

"I'm looking for some help in finding a good competent gunsmith that is capable of working on a Colt Python trigger. I was directed to one previously and made the mistake of taking someone else's word that the guy was competent. My mistake!!"

Not attempting to be over critical here but if it didn't work before(taking someone else's word)why would you ask for the same advice again? What would make you feel the results would be any different??????

Bob Lawless

6. ouch

ouch Member

I've shot them for years and Colt is the only reliable source for repairs. Richard

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Got rid of mine when it went out of time. S&W is the way to go, easy to work on and very reliable. HMB

8. VNVET

VNVET Member

S&W never made anything that compares to a Colt.

Jim

9. bucrub

bucrub TS Member

Ivanhoe: Like I said "My mistake". You bet your butt I won't make the same mistake again. I'll check references and have a written guarantee of satisfaction prior to anyone working on this gun again. I try real hard not to make mistakes twice. Seems to have worked so far (70) yrs!

Thanks for the others that helped here. Keep it coming. Thanks, Don

10. Shooting Coach

A blast from the past!

I had a single action only Colt's Officer's Model Match in the early 60's from F. Bob Chow. Most accurate handgun I have ever shot. I doubt he is still in business.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jim,

Here are three to start with. Model 15, Model 41, and Model 52. HMB

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oh, I'll add a Model 14. Damn site better double action gun than any Colt....

13. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Unfortunately, Colt is no longer in the revolver business with the exception of their 1873 single action revolver. In fact, about all they are making is the 1911 style pistol. I don't think they have anyone left who knows how to fix, or if they even have any parts for their revolver line (other than the 1873 single actions) I was a Colt warranty station for many years and can most likely repair your Python. I even have a small amount of parts left. You can contact me at my shop at 305-261-1820 weekdays (except Wednesday) between 12:30 and 6:30 pm edt.

Steve

14. Shooting Coach

Dear Steve

I also ran a warranty center YEARS AGO for about 25 brands, including Colt's. No parts, owner died and shop was parted out.

I hate to think Colt's would not have parts and service for such a classic.

I also have a Smith Model 14-6, the Target Masterpiece frame with the L frame barrel that was made in the Custom Gun Shop years ago. The double action on these guns will more than equal even the vintage Colt's of yesteryear.

15. bucrub

bucrub TS Member

16. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Try a search for Jerry Moran or Grant Cunningham.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wow!! That's a name from the past!! Jerry Moran!!

Shot IHMSA with Jerry back in the late 70's early 80's. Shot that Python at everything. He used to be up around Clio, Michigan back in the day. Don't know where he's at now, but, he was the Master of the Python workings...

Jim C

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Try Alan Tanaka in Gardena, California if he is still in business. Suggest that you call him first to see if he works on Colts.

19. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

On the Colt "V" spring revolvers the timing is in the HAND, a bad spring in the bolt, or a badly worn bolt(hardly ever seen) may make someone think timing. But to someone compettent those will stand out Like BBQ sauce on a white shirt!

But when it is all said and done the Cylinder locking up firmly, the amount of trigger over travel are in the HAND.

Love those V spring guns, IMHO Colt shot themselves in the foot?, NAH, the head when they got away from them!

I have to ask the OP, What was the PYTHON doing that made you seek help in the first place!

Al L

20. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I could fix it for you if I had time but I'm way behind.

Colt will fix it for you, they will repair any revolver made after 1950 I think. I put the web site up for you.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/repair.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.