1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Colt Gold Cup question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I have a Colt Gold Cup & it seems to me someone said to shoot only 185gr bullets in it, as 230gr are too much for it & will damage it. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It all depends on what springs are in it. If it's set up for very light loads, then yes, the slide can be battered by excess velocity. The factory springs are fine with standard velocity 230 grainers. If you are concerned about your gun, take it to a gunsmith, or contact Wolf Springs, tell them you have a Gold Cup, and want to shoot standard 230 target or ball loads, and send you the appropriate spring.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

First of all, take a look at your Cup. The flat rib on top is made by machining the slide. It is lighter than the Govt' slide.

The front sight is bigger, and heavier. Some of the newest Colt's use a dovetail front sight. Most do not. The rear sight is held on by a small pin.

When I performed warranty service and repair for Colt's back in the day, I replaced numerous front sights that hardball had loosened or knocked off. I have seen more than a few that launched the rear sight to the next time zone!

I forgot, the plunger tube will also come loose. Some after market grips do not support it, and if it gets to a point, you will engage the safety and will not be able to get the gun off safe.

The 200 gr bullet at wadcutter speeds will work well, but hardball or defensive ammo is best shot in another 1911.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What it means is that you set your gun up to shoot the ammo. Full loads require a heavy recoil spring and light loads require a lighter spring. If you use the right spring your gun will be a happy gun. HMB

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you must shoot hardball or defensive ammo, use the Wolff 18 lb spring and a buffer, and use the hot ammo sparingly.

I typically covered these issues under warranty. This was a number of years ago, when Colt's was Colt's Patent Firearms Co. I cannot speak for present warranty policies.

Having been a Colt's Registered Gunsmith, I would not fire a Gold Cup with high velocity or heavy bullet ammo.

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Doug,

If you need springs let me know. I think I have some in my pistol bag. I used a Gold Cup for pin shooting and combat. Shot 230's in it with no problems. Let me know if you need a spring. I plan to go to Bellevue this weekend for the Oyster shoot.

jim brown

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

they were probably refering to the pre series 70 Gold Cup National Match, that were ligthened up versiono of the Government model. The series 70 were beefed up versions of the National match. in reference to your question, it will depend on what kind of gold cup you have. hope this helps. jm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.