1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Colt Commercial AR 15 with 3 prong flash hider

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by noatrophy, Aug 3, 2013.

1. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

My brother-in-law has one of the earlier Colt AR-15's with no forward assist and with the three-pronged flash hider. It has hardly been used at all and looks practically brand new; he almost never shot it. Does anyone have any idea what it might be worth?
    Harry Dinwiddie
    Just south of the Hill Country in Texas

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hold it up to the monitor so we can see it.

It depends on which version of SP1 it is, that is, configuration, markings, etc., and the exact condition. There is a wide spread between these factors and also a wide spread for condition. Original condition, meaning no modifications, is also very important.

Wild guess without more info? $1000 to $2000 and that is very rough.

3. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Brian, thanks. It is in orginal condition for sure. Nothing has ever been done to it. Thanks for your input on this.

4. oz

oz Active Member

ar15.com

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Is it the rifle (20" barrel, solid stock) or the carbine (16" barrel - collapsible stock)?

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That particular flash hider should make the rifle sorta special. I've never seen one of the three-prongers outside of pictures. The story was that, they had to change them over to the cage type because the troops would use the 3 prongers to twist/break the metal straps on shipping crates. The prongs would eventually bend and in some cases deflect the bullet on exit. Never have seen a picture of a bent one. If you could post a picture, I'd appreciate it.

Value wise, I would guess $1100 minimum. Look for a collector to sell it to, not a shooter. If anything would hold it's value, it would be a Colt. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here is a screen shot of the 31st Blue Book for the SP-1
    [​IMG]

-

You can find three prong flash hiders still - to fully restore an SP-1 if it has a full flash hider - they came with cardboard spacers that could be pealed away to orient the fingers correctly on the barrel. Better obviously, if it has the original in place. (I believe the two I had both do - need to go and look...)

8. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Gents I really do appreciate this information. This oneis the rifle, not the carbine. I'll recontact my brother-in-law and get serial number and look for the other, important details when he and I are both up to it. Sorry I don't have the gun in my posession; he and I both have had recent surgeries for one thing or another and he is no good with a computer.
    I heard the story more than one time, that the reason the 3-prong flash hider was dropped was because our fighting men in Viet Nam could too easily entangle it in all the thick brush during combat; the vegetation would easily slip right into the open end portion of the hider and then possibly prevent the G.I. from moving the gun around to where it was needed. This could have lead to the G.I. being shot since the vegetation could be restricting gun movement until he could untangle the mess at the muzzle end. Any Viet Nam vets out there ever experience this?
    Again, I very much appreciate all your help and input on my question.
    Harry Dinwiddie

Search tags for this page

colt 3 prong flash hider

colt ar-15 three prong flash surpresser
colt sp 1 3 prong flash suppressor
colt sp1 flash
colt three prong

colt three prong flash hider

sp62182 colt flash hider for sale

t 3-prong flash hider change over