1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

COLORMAG LENS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Just wondering how many of you use the Ranger colormag lens? can you tell a big difference in seeing a target.. also if you use them do you ever switch lens and change colors? thanks!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yes, Yes and No. I have one set and can tell a subtle difference in how the targets pop against the backgrounds. I change usually according to the light conditions rather than the background change as they suggest. Was it worth the extra money? Not in my opinion.

Matt

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Black Cloud, I have the Color Mag and love it. Just shot last weekend at

Newman, CA winter chain and used them. Birds there come up into the sky and

it was a clear day. Really magnifies the orange spectrum. If it had of been

cloudy, would have gone with medium purple. Only time I use Vermilion is when

the background is a hillside, and light yellow under the lights. If the color

mags work, I never have changed colors. Got mine from Texas Optical and he

was right, if they work for you they are great!! Hope this helps.

Mike C. Groveland, CA ATA Life Vet

4. 45ACP

45ACP Member

I like mine, but only if there is enough light. If it's overcast and low light... forget it. Bill

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use plano CMTs in most daylight conditions as the clubs I shoot at throw orange targets. I have had excellent results as it helps compensate for my red deficiency.

For me, its been a one-time investment amortized over a few years... a real value from that perspective.

Borrow a pair and use them for a few rounds - make the call yourself.

Jay

6. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Everybody's eyes are a little different, so colors that work for you, where you shoot, may not work well for others & vice versa. Color choice and effectiveness is very personal, as other aspects or our sport are (POI, barrel length, gun weight etc.) Any issue for our sport relating to the eyes is very important (maybe the most important) - if you don't see the target clearly and consistently, your choice of recoil pad or wad won't matter too much.

That said, and speaking with others here in eastern PA, the CMT lenses (which I have) are great for me on orange targets, or orange/black rimmed, on very bright, cloudless days. For me, if there is an overcast sky, occassional clouds or approaching darkness, I usually switch to a light apricot color - Ranger calls it Orange #45.

js in PA

7. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Forgot to say. Are they worth the extra cost??? For me YES!!
    I wear Rx so I have the clip on. I got the set with Light Yellow,
    Medium Purple, Vermilion, and the Color Mag. Worth every single
    penny for me.

Mike C.

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I mostly shoot in home state of Utah. They only work in very bright light for me and I've just put them away as I like the brown and orange better. Bruce

9. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

I tried them when I first got mine, but like it was said, for very bright days or hardly any background. I also got the dark purple, tried them, and haven't taken them of since. Even work great at night. Worth the extra $$$...not really, but it's personal preference.

10. johnboy

johnboy Member

I wished I had saved my money. They may be OK in very bright conditions but with any background they do not work for me. I have tried shooting with them simply because they were so pricey and are really easy on the eyes in very bright light but have not shot well with them. A friend I shoot with feels the same way about his colormags.

11. willing

willing Member

For me they only work on very bright days and with a sky background.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cmt lense reveiws skeet shooting forums

color mag lens

colormag

colormag lenses

colormag lenses night shooting

decot colormag

decot colormag lenses