1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ColorMag Lens by Randolph Engineering

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RHAT, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHAT

RHAT Member

Can someone give me their opinion on these non prescription lenses,... I have had some trap shooters say they are not a good choice, If they do make the orange targets stand out more, what would be the advantage or dis-advantage??

They are quite a bit more expensive, so some feedback from anyone who uses them would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Hatler

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Rich -

I have a set, got them when they first came out. Bought the new style frames last year and got a set of CMT's for those also.

I like them, they really make the orange stand out. The only drawback I have found is that they really only work well on very bright, sunny days. If there any chance of getting some cloud cover they make everything too dark, at least for me. I won't wear them if it's a sunny day with lots of big clouds blowing around, because as soon as one of those gets between me and the sun it gets dark.

Scott

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I love mine but only if there is no snow on the ground.They do enhance the color for me on both orange and green targets.I have a hard time seeing targets with snow on the ground when I have tried to use them but everyones eyes are different.If you can ask someone to let you try theirs first thats what I did.Hope that helps.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I hate them. Too dark, and the weird colors are distracting. Try them before you buy them. Everyone see color differently.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My eyes are somewhat difficient in the red department, so they help me by amplifying the red portion of the spectrum. Its also interesting to look at gals who have some red highlights in their hair.

Yes, ideally bright sunlight, but I've had good results when partly sunny also. As was said, borrow a pair and shoot with them. Otherwise, maybe a pair of the polarized colors out there may better suit you.

Jay

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I like mine, but be aware they fade over time.

7. Joe O

Joe O Member

I have set that I use for sporting but find that if the background is to dark they're not great and also if the targets are thrown so you see the bottom they are to dark. In bright sun I like them though.
    Joe O

8. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I like mine,
    but like everyone else has said,
    only in bright sun.
    They we're originally developed for the coast guard to spot
    orange life vests in the ocean.
    They really amplify orange and red biig time,
    but are a bit like sunglasses,if clouds come over,
    they get a bit dark in a hurry.
    I always check for clouds before using them,if in doubt,
    light target orange for me.

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I loved my ColorMag pair. Then someone stole them. Never did replace them. Dave T.

10. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

RHAT

I really like my CMTs. They work best in bright light conditions. To my eyes they brighten the red in the target color and darken the green colors in the background--overall increasing the contrast and making the target easier to see. If at all possible try a pair before you buy. Some people love the CMTs and others hate them. Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers

Gavin

11. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

RHAT

I really like my CMTs. They work best in bright light conditions. To my eyes they brighten the red in the target color and darken the green colors in the background--overall increasing the contrast and making the target easier to see. If at all possible try a pair before you buy. Some people love the CMTs and others hate them. Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers

Gavin

12. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I borrowed a pair of lens from a friend and tried them on trap and skeet. My eyes are very sensitive to light so darker lens work better for me. These were plano lens and I need prescription yet the increase of target visibility was quite noticable. I tried them on an overcast day and they worked fine for me. There is no doubt that lens are a personal thing.

13. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I love my CMT lenses. They really make the orange pop, and I find that the rest of the background is dampened. This has been mentioned before, but it's true that the orange enhancement only works in sunlight. If the sun goes behind a cloud, it's just like wearing dark gray sunglasses. I usually don't have an issue here in TX since it's usually pretty sunny. When it's not, I switch to my dark yellow lenses. I have the red and purple, but I've never tried them.

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Call or email Wayne at Morgan Optical regarding CMT lenses before you buy. Many people suffer from red-green color deficiency "myself included" and CMT lenses will not work for them. Vermillion colored lenses seem to work very well for us color blind individuals and many normal sighted people.

Robert

15. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin TS Member

Just got back from a Harlan Cambell clinic. That is what he wears & he has worked with them on making a couple of colors. They come in 12 or 13 different colors. Harlan said he has them all & picks the color depending on conditions. I tried his & was very impressed with them. A set of frames & 12 lens is around $300. I posted the website address above if you want to check them out.

16. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

Rich,

I think the CMT lenses are great. I wear them for bright sunny days and even with some cloud cover. They do brighten the Orange and dull the Green for me. I bought them as part of my 3 lens pack.

Good luck,
    Cory

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

papa- if your CMT lenses are for the 68mm frame and are in as new condition (no cracks, scratches delamination, or fading), i'll take them for $20. Let me know where to send funds.

Ian Smingler

kolarskeet@gmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
colormag lenses review

randolph colormag

randolph colormag review
randolph engineering cmt lenses reviews
randolph engineering colormag lens review
randolph engineering colormag review
randolph engineering lens colors