1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Colorado farmers crying the blues

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jnoemanh, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

On tonight's news. Colorado farmers crying and whining because they can't get their crops harvested. The Feds have been cracking down on illegals, and now CO farmers can't find enough of them. They've been paying illegals $7/hour, and now, to get enough legal workers, they'll have to pay $9. Boo-hoo.

I feel really sorry for them, especially the whiney farmer who was driving a new Caddy Escalade back to his 5000 sq. ft. "family farm" house. This guy has never had the first bit of dirt under his fingernails, but he needs the Feds to back off so he can get more $7 illegals.

2. grammie

grammie TS Member

You should hear the business's whining and crying around Arizona!!!! All they have done is too make a public confession!!!!

FYI:

The last week of August will see Mexican Trucks given the okay to ply the roadways of America,,,with all the inspections taking place in Mexico!!!! Get ready for the influx of meth,,coke,,etc....

In todays news certain groups want to claim victory in the drug war!!!! They want to legalize it!!!!!!! Only in America can you claim victory by surrenduring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AKA Grammie...........

3. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

ok here is how it works.

The farmer or corporation will NOT take a cut in profit. Any added over head be it labor, taxes, or ANY added over head is added to the bottom line and they will raise prices to make up the difference.

The Maryland House of Representatives decided that any corporation with 10,000 or more employees had to cover health insurance or a part of it for the employees. Walmart was the only company to fit the profile. Does Walmart take a loss and the stock value go down? Do they lower wages to cover for the expense? Do the executives take a cut in pay? NO to all. Walmart would raise prices across the board to cover the expense. Therefore, the people who shop at Walmart will pay for the health insurance. If I am not mistaken, the law was found to be UnConstitutional.

When the government tells you, "we will tax the very rich and the corporations and give you the money." they are only taxing the people who purchase the products or services. The very rich to include the Democrats and Republicans pass laws to allow corporations and the rich not to pay taxes.

The people who pay all the taxes in this country are the lower middle class to the upper middle class who receive a paycheck from someone other than themselves.

U.S. Constitution - Amendment 16
    Amendment 16 - Status of Income Tax Clarified
    The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration. Ratified 2/3/1913

Jeff Warren III

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I, personally think that farmers deserve more concessions than any other business out there. I've grown kind of fond of eating, and like to do it a few times a day.

The people who bitch about farmers receiving too much aid have never been around a farm in their life. Most farmers across this nation are barely making it. Don't give me the b.s. about 500,000 dollar tractors either. Most of them need that equipment to even keep up, and are in debt up to their asses to keep it.

5. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

After Hurricane "Dean" goes through Mexico there will be plenty of farm help coming North.

6. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"Why is it alright for someone in the city to have a 2 million dollar house drive an Escalade but a farmer can't have these things."

Hey, I don't have any problem at all if a farmer does a good job of running his business and makes a lot of money. More power to him.

It does bother me, however, when he claims he can't run his business without illegal aliens. It's past time we stopped illegal immigration. The farmer who can't make it by hiring Americans or legal immigrants needs to sharpen up his business management.

You're a wheat farmer? Can you run your business without illegals?

As far as the CBOT, they don't really set prices. They just balance supply and demand.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Economy in Mi. is so bad even the Mexicans are leaving. I wish they would report to the Whitehouse lawn for work detail.

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Grew up on a farm and it was lost when Carter had the 21% int rates. If we would stop importing the commodites we produce, then OUR farmers will get the price they deserve.

What I do have a problem with is when this same farmer accept my tax dollar AND then charges me to hunt or fish there. This makes it real hard for me to be to sympathetic.

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

There are Mexicans over there that woulod kill for $7.00 an hour.I know from experience.The farmers down there in Mexico are paying them $6.00 a day.Why can't we create some sort of system where these needed workers can come and work legally,pay taxes and maybe return home someday.I run an 8000 acre ranch for someone and farm 500 of my own.It is getting harder to find good help.These people are uneducated,illiterate and have few skills.Believe me when I say they love making 7.00 an hour driving an air conditioned tractor or picking fruit for ten times what they are making at home.
    By the way it is ok for farmers to make money.I don't know if you have any experience in ag but the capital outlay for what is coming back alot of times aint what it is cracked up to be.Farming comes down to having one or two good years that will carry you through four or five bad years.Yes I know many farmers get their start from inheritance but not all.Not me.I worked hard saved money got a few acres and got a few more.
    The point of this rant is Mexican labor is needed because most not all Americans won't do it.

Darr Wilson

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

There would be plenty of americans to take some of those jobs if the feds would cut off the free money to the lazy folks.

Jim

11. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

""""""""You're a wheat farmer? Can you run your business without illegals?""""""

Certainly can.

"""""""""As far as the CBOT, they don't really set prices. They just balance supply and demand."""""""

Oh yeah, just like a hurricane forms off the coast of Africa and in 8 days it will be here, but gas jumps a nickel a day in anticipation of its arrival. Or the corn belt gets a rain in early May (harvest in October), and they hit the futures limit down on anticipation of a huge crop X acres. Or 3 dozen sets of tiddly winks "May" have been painted with leaded paint so.............................let's all go short on FisherPrice til they find them, if enough of us do, then fiction becomes fact. Shall I go on?

Some of you guys and algore are going to get your wish, ""We don't need farmers, it's CHEAPER to import food anyway""! It's going to happen, not in the too distant future either.

I live in a very old farming community, when I was a kid everyone had at least one, usually two out of the family that returned to farm. Now, out of 30 or so families in the area, I know of one kid that has come back to the farm----and he wants to do something else.

Just before 7 tonite, I was given a proposal to sell all our holdings for a price beyond my wildest dreams------it won't be farmed in the manner it is today in 5 years, lucky to produce 10%, algore will be proud.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Chicago board of trade is among many tools today's farmer has to learn about to manage his assets.

Sell high and buy low, Lock in price of production, forward contracting, etc etc.

If hogs are lower than the cost of production, fewer will be bred, and supply will shrink. Cost will go up. Duh.

DBOT is and exchange that handles trades between producers, speculators, and large scale processors like Cargill, for example. They set no prices. Contracts are sold for what buyers are willing to pay.

And let me tell you, The leverage can and will kill anyone who gets greedy.

HM

13. Dutchboy

Dutchboy TS Member

It took me three months to hire a new farm laborer. Can't even begin to guess how many Mexicans stopped by looking for work, and promised to bring their social security card and drivers license "tomorrow". Finally found a good one, I think, with a real card and a real drivers license. With the political climate the way it is, Tyson can hire all the illegals they want, but a small farmer like me is going to be the first guy that gets lynched..... FWIW, Dutch.

14. K-80 Jim

K-80 Jim TS Member

Hey, if any of you are short on illegals you can have ours we have plenty here in Ohio.

Shoot well,

Jim

15. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Stubs, You're not going to change the minds of anyone out there who hasn't been in the field from sunup to sundown and then watched a hail storm wipe everything out in 5 min. I've been in farming, one way or the other for most of my life. All the people bitching are just as much of the problem as the illegals. They all want one hell of a wage but don't want to pay the price of what it costs to produce the product. I could go on, but why?
    Bill

16. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Explain to us the price supports and crop failure (disaster payments) subsidies the Govt. pays to farmers that my cafe is not elgible for. I feed the people but without Govt. help.

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

Wantc cheap labor ? Just empty the jails and rent the prisoners out to farmers for enough to feed the scum. I'll bet in a very short time there would be another shortage of cheap labor.

18. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"Just empty the jails and rent the prisoners out to farmers for enough to feed the scum"

Actually Colorado is doing some of that. The state rents prisoners to farmers @ $9/hr. Sounds like a fine idea to me - let prisoners pay back some of what it costs to incarcerate them, and teach them some work ethic too.

19. willing

willing Member

Jim101-How right you are, but what do we do when the Illegals catch on and find out they can live in gov housing and get money by punching out babies. At least you've said it!!!

bill

20. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

You fellows that complain about the farmers should walk in our shoes for a year then whine about us. Did you know that farming is the only business that pays retail for every thing they use and sell everything they produce for wholesale.

bigdogtx, When you start paying my taxes and keep care of my land, you would be welcome to hunt for free. I don't hunt for free on my own place. Richard "Alfalfa farmer"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.