1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Colorado considering banning varmint hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    (From www.varminthunters.com)<br>
    <br>
    http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12228<br>
    <br>
    VarminterCO<br>
    Junior Member<br>
    <br>
    Angry Colorado Wildlife Commission to ban varmint hunting<br>
    <br>
    Gentlemen,<br>
    <br>
    I am going around to the forums to notify us in the community that the Colorado Wildlife Commission is seriously considering banning varmint hunting in CO. On their website it states: "a citizen petition was introduced for banning the shooting of prairie dogs."<br>
    <br>
    http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeCommission/<br>
    <br>
    I have been in touch with the Commissioners (Roy McAnally & Dennis G. Buechler) about this.<br>
    <br>
    I can only ask that residents of CO act quickly and explain the situation to the commission. As it is now, they view it as live 'target practice' which they find "reprehensible in every aspect". They have already succeeded in getting Sportsman's Warehouse to pull many "Varmint Hunting' videos from it's shelves.<br>
    <br>
    The petition can be viewed here. Your help is crucial at this moment would be greatly appreciated.<br>
    <br>
    -Michael<br>
    <br>
    "...target shooting animals reprehensible" - Here is a link to the actual legal petition declaring varmint hunting is not hunting but "target shooting live animals" equating it to animal cruelty.<br>
    http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/A1DEB481-3E53-4EDA-AAE7-6ED7A1870825/0/CitizenPetitionNoLiveTargets.pdf

2. Brian in Oregon

Activists put prairie dog shoots in the cross-hairs<br>
    By Todd Hartman - Rocky Mountain News<br>
    <br>
    Originally published 10:34 p.m., March 12, 2008<br>
    Updated 10:34 p.m., March 12, 2008<br>
    <br>
    Wildlife activists want to put an end to using prairie dogs for "target practice, and amusement" saying the activity has no relation to hunting, involves no fair chase and amounts to animal cruelty.<br>
    <br>
    WildEarth Guardians, with help from students at the University of Denver law school, are petitioning the Colorado Wildlife Commission, arguing that the actions of some prairie dog shooters bear no resemblance to those of ethical hunters, calling it an "abomination" and "sadistic."<br>
    <br>
    To bolster their case, the groups cite gruesome videos produced by prairie dog shooters celebrating the "carnival of carnage" associated with killing and blowing apart the creatures.<br>
    <br>
    One promotional site for such films says: "You will wear out the rewind button on your remote. You'll see hundreds of graphic kills, including the only quadruple (4 dogs with 1 shot) ever caught on video!"<br>
    <br>
    Such activity, WildEarth Guardians argues, doesn't qualify as "hunting," in part because the animals' meat and hides are left to waste on the ground. That means that activity shouldn't be protected by the hunting exemption to Colorado's animal cruelty laws, the petition says.<br>
    <br>
    WildEarth Guardians is slated to make its case to the wildlife commission Thursday. It's the second attempt for activists, who failed to convince commissioners to ban the practice in 2002.<br>
    <br>
    The group's petition also argues that lead residue from massive prairie dogs shoots proves fatal to raptors and other scavengers, and that praire dogs play a critical role in the ecosystem, supporting numerous other animals that prey on them and make use of their burrows.<br>
    <br>
    Activists will likely meet resistance. Farmers and ranchers argue that prairie dogs need to be controlled because they can damage rangeland. Shooting is one way to trim their numbers, said Terry Fankhauser, executive vice president for the Colorado Cattlemen's Association.<br>
    <br>
    Seth Taylor of Durango said he'd oppose any ban. A firearms dealer at a local sporting goods store, Taylor said he "enjoys" shooting prairie dogs once or twice a week. "I just go out there and have fun with it," he said.<br>
    <br>
    "They should have named them prairie rats instead of prairie dogs," Taylor said, adding that farmers ask him to come on their land and shoot them. "They are a nuisance. They burrow holes into the ground, tear up fields."<br>
    <br>
    Some prairie dogs shooters have inflamed animal rights groups with rhetoric of great joy in seeing the animals explode, creating the highly sought after "red mist" or "varmint vapor" effect of a burst of blood. Videos depicting such scenes have been filmed in Colorado, activists said.<br>
    <br>
    But Colorado hunting groups, as well as the cattlemen's association, have said such bloodlust attitudes aren't shared by most sportsmen. Fankhauser called the views "reprehensible."<br>
    <br>
    The Colorado Division of Wildlife in 1997 restricted contest shooting of small game following outcries over events like the Top Dog World Championship Prairie Dog Shoot in Nucla, where in 1994 hunters shot 3,200 burrowing mammals.<br>
    <br>
    State rules limit the take of small game to no more than five of each species in a contest. But nothing prevents unlimited shooting of prairie dogs on private land when no contest is held.<br>
    <br>
    "Most of the prairie dog hunting I'm aware of is landowners making sure they're not causing problems," said DOW spokesman Tyler Baskfield. "If I had to categorize that crowd (who glorify shooting the creatures), I'd say it's a small, small subculture. ... Most sportsmen would have an issue with that being called hunting." (NOTE THE ATTEMPT TO DIVIDE AND CONQUER)

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is a bunch of college liberals embracing a cause in order to criticize normal people(Do liberals really do that?).

I would hope the legislature would laugh these wet behind the ears assholes out of the building, but in a state that lets Ward Chuchill continue teaching anything can happen.

HM

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Colorado has very few ranchers and farmers compared to the number of libs - just like Oregon.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Prairie dogs have families, be considerate. HMB

6. Brian in Oregon

I like to tell liberals they're not honoring my diversity and lifestyle as a hunter. Throw it right back in their faces.

7. ATF Agent

ATF Agent TS Member

I'd classify Mr. Baskfield and his cronies as a very, very small subculture. Most folks, with more than a brain stem, realize the multitude of reasons for prairie dog control. So Tyler Baskfield and his ilk are all vegetarians? Last I checked, meat processing plants weren't counseling the animals to make sure they were ok with being killed. How do we know for sure that the folks doing the killing don't actually enjoy their jobs?

Mr. Baskfield should be held responsible for actual and punitive monetary damages for any negative impact that prairie dogs have on Colorado. Neighboring states should sue him for the illegal immigration of Colorado's prairie dogs into their states.

Within two weeks of trying to govern the little critters, Mr. Baskfield would himself be building a heavy barreled varmint rig and stocking up on reloading supplies.

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The problem is Colo. has been taken over by hordes of liberal idiots that have moved there .They GREATLY out number native Coloradians in large metro areas. These bird brained liberal pukes are all bleeding hart bozos that wouldn't know a prairie dog from a P!$$ ant! They are mindless kool aid drinkers who think animals talk to one another. I have seen typical idiots who thought shooting coyotes was bad until a pack of them tore their pet poodle to shreads! There is just no PILL to stop STUPID! Another problem is that some liberal scum have taken jobs within state Fish and Wildlife services, which have made matters much worse!

9. halfmile

Slide Action, well said. The coming economic problems should reduce some of these assholes to survival mode, in which case they might have to learn to be practical.

HM

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As slide action states, its the west coasters that have been moving into the state for a number of years along with the young "tree huggers" and such that are the link to the problem! They have no care or concern with how these little critters can multiply and the damage they can inflict to ranchers/farmers. It will be sad if Colorado does any type of restriction on these and other varmint classed animals! If it does happen there, then it will spread quickly....

11. bentbarrel

bentbarrel TS Member

Gave up trying to shoot them years ago, way to many to kill and a waste of good ammo. Just poison the hell out of them. wipes em out all at once and not one at a time. After about 4 years they start coming back, then its Barley marinated in arsnic time again.

12. ive never ran um

ive never ran um TS Member

those damn burrowing dogs are moving in on my place in colorado and i will be damn it i will let any law keep me form getting rid of them.

13. halfmile

Lots of prairie dog shooters on here, and most of them are considerate sportsmen who will not cut your fences, shoot your cows, or dig up your grass.

I'll bet if you enable your pm or post an email you won't have too many PD's left in a year.

HM

14. TREE

TREE TS Member

great do it you all are bitching about the bears wait till pdogs get into your yard and coyotes kill your lap dog

15. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i thought this thread was about shooting liberals(prairie dogs) and didn't know it was legal in colo. my mistake. i was wondering if any of the candidates were going to be in colo. any time soon. one can only pray.just kidding don't attack me.jackmitch

16. 1-straight

1-straight TS Member

This does not surprise me at all.... Last week there were a larg number of buffalo slaughtered - yes, shot and left lay where they stood...32 was the count ... all on private land - the sherif,of the neighborig county blamed it on HUNTERS" yes, that is correct...and it was reported as such on the evening news... Fired my rockets!!! - I love e-mail!! I sent a blistering e-mail to him thanking him for pinning something else on us hunters.. and that as a law enforcer in the mountains of Colorado, he should know that there were no big game seasons open, and further, that there is not, nor never has been a season on buffalo!! I'm to old and un-healthy to do any fishing or shooting anymore - but I can sure pull the trigger on my computer keyboard!!
    Get'EM
    1-Straight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.