1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Color of wads after being shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by baldeagle, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baldeagle

baldeagle TS Member

I often help with reloading the trap house at my gun club. From the trap house looking downrange, I can see lots of spent wads; all in grey appearance and none colored. Yet many shooter use various colored wads such as pink, green and blue, etc. Why do they only appear to be grey after being shot?

2. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Mine turn grey due to reasons unknown to me. I shoot lots of orange wads because I shoot so bad maybe they will think my wad is part of the target.

Charlie

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Probably bleached out from being in the sun. The shot under pressure will dimple the pedals and change the color slightly also. Heat on the backside will turn them yellow-brown.

I heard rumor (better than rumor my source was good) once of this old local guy who re-using wads. No sh!t, that's no bull. Sometimes if I'm helping at the range and I walking through those wads I think of that and all I can do is shake my head.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Spanky,

I know several that reused wads. They would pick them all up and sort through them. They would even put them inside their cloths dryer to make them pliable again.

ss

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I always see the neon green and blue of my downrange wads as they go downrange. That's how I know I've got the wrong shells for caps.... ;-)

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I shoot one oz. loads using DR wads. DRA 12 Pink and DRXXL Orange. They retain their colors. A buddy shoots 410 red wads that litter our skeet field. I don't know what brand.

YMMV,

HBT

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There used to be quite a few folks that reused wads. they would pick through and pick out all the Winchester AA wads that didn't have a deformed cup at the bottom . They would get a few thousand and take them down to a commercial washer and wash all the dirt and powder fouling off of them. Once they were dry they would put them in a pillow case and tumble them for 20 minutes or so on low heat. I thik you would be shocked at how good they looked. There still are people with more time then money and this trick would still work. Federal 12s3, 12so were also done this way. Jeff

8. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Mine turn red white and blue when it comes out the barrel. God bless America.
    Railroad

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have to witness these wad whores/wad buzzards in action sometime. I'll just never be in the right place at the right time to see it.

All this time I pride myself with some quality reloads when I could be raking up a stake body truck load of spent wads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.