1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Color of Lenses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadeyedukewannabe, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadeyedukewannabe

deadeyedukewannabe TS Member

Hi all. I've been trapshooting for several years now in a drought area where the grass is usually brown. This year we have had extreme amounts of rain. I only own one pair of shooting lenses which are a pink color. I was wondering what colors of lenses have been known to work for blue skies and green grass background or clouded skies and green grass background.

Thanks for your input!

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I use Decot's V-lite for the conditions you're asking about but it's important to understand that no two people see colors in exactly the same way and what works well for me may not work at all for you. Anyone who tells you that this or that is the color you should use simply doesn't understand this.

I hear many people raving about "Light Target Orange" as being the end-all of colors for open sky or what-have-you but I can honestly say that they make orange targets much harder for me to see than my own choice of V-Lite.

I suggest you contact a lens maker (I use Morgan Optical in Olean, NY) and ask for some flat color samples that you can try over clear or no lenses to see what works for you. It's risky to buy lenses on a recommendation until you try them under your conditions.

MK

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

MK is correct about the difficulty of recommending a lens color for another person. I have shot my best scores with Vermillion color lenses on a bright sunny day. V-Lite also work for me. For cloudy days I use Lite Target Orange which are almost a Clear but I have a tendency to squint in bright sunshine with em.

4. deadeyedukewannabe

deadeyedukewannabe TS Member

The glasses I have are Decot Hy-Wyd's. I was at a state shoot this past weekend but didn't get the time to go to the decot booth. This weekend I'm going to a location I know will be very green and would like to get different lenses before then but I don't know if it's possible. Does Decot sell strictly through dealers or can they be bought from sporting good stores?

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've never seen them in stores, just available at shoots and direct. Most any question can be answered by calling them direct. Google them and you'll find the address and phone. I guess "in stores" might include vendors at shoots - give you that.....Bob Dodd

6. acre44

acre44 Member

Purple is the best for sunlight and green background.

7. Alamo

Alamo Member

Deadeye,
    Like you I shoot best with pink lenses but, the orange on the target is changed to yellow. Talked to Mike Rinard at Post Four Optics and he asked the two simple questions: with pink can you more readily see the target more distinctly and as long as I can see it more distinctly with pink lenses, does it really matter if the target appears yellow to me rather than orange. I use pink more than any other color.
    When I use purple the target is bright orange but somewhat "fuzzy" on its outline and where the orange meets the black.
    I have yet to find a good color against a real light sky blue or very white clouds, the "yellow" just seems to blend into those two colors. Best backdrop for me is grey overcast day with light pink. I think our two sets of eyes are very similar. Please let me know if you find a good color for blue or white background. I have found Mike at Post Four Optics very easy to work with.

Larry Hancock

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Missouri Plum

Dark Yellow/Orange

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

As stated earlier, everyone is different. That said, I have tried almost every color Decot makes. In Decots the V-lites worked best, next was Target Suns. The worst by far was anything orange.

Now...after years and easily a dozen lenses I have finally found what works best for ME. Oakley G30 lens, the best way to describe them is a Rose and Bronze mixture. I have used them for 2 years now and no plans on changing. The background I shoot is just what you described. Oakley Radar Range frames with the G30 lens.

Dont rule out Oakley's and stay stuck on Decots and Rangers.

Mark

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I use purple for the bright sunny days and a custom color I had made we call tangerine for the cloudy low light conditions. Both work very well for me but it seems everyone has a different color choice for there eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.