1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Color Mag Lenses-Anybody use them?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TheKid25, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid25

TheKid25 TS Member

Looking in to getting new shooting glasses and the Ranger's with the Color Mag Lense seemed great to me. I was just wondering if anybody has ever used this lense? If so, does it perform like they say it does?

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I have them as well as other here, most people don't use them after awhile. Bruce

3. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Use mine shooting targets against blue sky. Work great, been using 3 years now.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Clear, bright blue skies, green background mine worked great other than that I found that they were not as good for me as dark purple or polarized copper. I sold my set of CMTs.

--- Chip King ---

5. chemist

chemist Member

I use them and a pair of yellow for cloudy days- I have scrips, so buying many lenses is not really an option. They work Ok for me on bright days at the clubs I shoot- in the fall, the foliage is very bright in the red orange area- If I get new glasses I would look at the ranger with the scrip insert and different colors-

rich k- chemist

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

While everybody's eyes are different - and I would encourage you to borrow a pair first and use them during various light conditions; I can say unequivocally that they help me in seeing the orange target.

I use them to enhance the target against both open and "tree'd" backgrounds with bright and partly sunny conditions, all with good results...

Again, if possible, borrow a pair to use a couple of times in varying light and background conditions to test them for yourself.

kind regards,

Jay

7. TheKid25

TheKid25 TS Member

Looking in to getting new shooting glasses and the Ranger's with the Color Mag Lense seemed great to me. I was just wondering if anybody has ever used this lense? If so, does it perform like they say it does?

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I have them as well as other here, most people don't use them after awhile. Bruce

9. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Use mine shooting targets against blue sky. Work great, been using 3 years now.

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

Clear, bright blue skies, green background mine worked great other than that I found that they were not as good for me as dark purple or polarized copper. I sold my set of CMTs.

--- Chip King ---

11. chemist

chemist Member

I use them and a pair of yellow for cloudy days- I have scrips, so buying many lenses is not really an option. They work Ok for me on bright days at the clubs I shoot- in the fall, the foliage is very bright in the red orange area- If I get new glasses I would look at the ranger with the scrip insert and different colors-

rich k- chemist

12. spitter

While everybody's eyes are different - and I would encourage you to borrow a pair first and use them during various light conditions; I can say unequivocally that they help me in seeing the orange target.

I use them to enhance the target against both open and "tree'd" backgrounds with bright and partly sunny conditions, all with good results...

Again, if possible, borrow a pair to use a couple of times in varying light and background conditions to test them for yourself.

kind regards,

Jay

13. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Kid,

You've got mail!

Ed

14. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I suggest you read this page about Ranger Questions carefully, then click on the link to "tint descriptions" and read that one, too.

http://www.randolphusa.com/ranger-faq.htm

Quote from the first page...

"A simple rule to get maximum focus on a target is to use a lens tint that lets as much light in as possible without squinting your eyes."

Got that? Maximum light tranmission for maximum target focus.

I use regular orange....71% and light purple...62%

I have the CMT's and never use them for shooting since they are essentially dark sunglasses transmitting only 18.5% of available light. When I move my head to follow a target my eyes don't refocus fast enough. After barrel porting, the biggest waste of my money for any shooting gear.

15. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I have CMT's and they work great for me. I have Ranger Sporters with Rx

behind the colored lenses. With my eyes I can even wear them in the club house

which is fairly dark. Shot them in cloudy skies with no problem.

I also use Vermillion, Purple, and a light yellow under the lights.

Will use CMT's first, Purple second.

My eyes love them.

Mike C

16. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I bought a pair and I don't like them..wish I had my money back...SMOKIT

17. Joe O

Joe O Member

Any one have a set that will fit Rangers? I will take them off your hands. I like them for trap where the targets are always in the sun but they are too dark for sporting where you may only see the bottom of a target, sometimes against a mixed backround. Mine need to be replaced, worn out. Send me a PM or e-mail
    Joe O

18. spitter

Geez Mike... I guess Randolph Engineering wasted all that money developing a proprietary technology to enhance orange 250%. While your general point was well made, you, likewise, should've tried a pair before making the investment.

There have been multiple posts about Rx wearers having some issues when using CMT on an Rx lens - many go the "sporter" route.

Kid, borrow a pair, SEE the benefit first, then consider the purchase... at $80 bucks, not chump change... but for me the CMT is my daytime, Go-2 lens.

If you happen to be in the Chicago Metro area - I'll lend you mine for a few rounds...

regards,

Jay

19. willing

willing Member

They work fine if you have a consistent bright background. The target disappears if it moves from bright to dark, shadows or trees.

Bill

20. johnboy

johnboy Member

I have a pair that I only use in absolutely bright conditions. I shot a very dismal score a couple years ago where conditions varied from bright to shadows using the color mags. Knowing what I now know I would have not purchased the color mag lens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

color mag lens