1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Color Case Hardening

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WJN, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJN

WJN TS Member

I have been researching Trap guns in an effort to familiarize myself with Makes, Models and Price. I do so in attempt to ready myself for an acquisition in the not so distant future.

In this process I have seen a few models that have color case hardening. Aesthetically, I find some plain and others striking. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I understand the color case hardening process.

I have a question about how color case hardening holds up functionally. How does it differ from blued or plated guns in durability and maintenance. Are there advantages and disadvantages to this finish compared to other finishes. I would appreciate any insight you could provide. Thanks!

Jim

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The case colors are relatively fragile, probably no more durable then bluing, and less durable than nickle plating. You typically coat case colored receivers in lacquer to protect the colors, and it needs to be recoated periodically.

3. WJN

WJN TS Member

Thanks for the info Skeet_man. Sounds like a bit of a pain unless you really like the look.

Jim

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Your hand and the sun is the killer of case harding colors. I love it and for a trap gun I will have to say no to it. I was like you, I wanted a trap gun with case harding but decided it wouldn't last as long as I wanted it to.

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Direct sunlight diminishes/adversley affects case coloring as well. Case coloring is nice to look at if it's a safe queen. For use as a daily shooter, as skeetman and Auctioneer suggests, nickel is the more durable and desired finish.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I doubt sunlight can "kill it" What would be the chemical reaction for that?

Now there are types that are put on by cyanide- those are not brilliant colors and they dont seem to hold up well at all

Keeping the laquer up is the ticket to preserving the colors- they now have these clear touch up pens for clear coat- that works for the varnish also

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The OLD case hardening was alot better and durable then what they do today.

8. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I have a K-80 Case Colored, and I use it alot and don't seem to have the problems as some of you may think. I've applied a laquer finish over 2 years ago, and can't see where it has worn.

David McMillen

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

The question is kind of confusing. Functionally, case hardening holds up well. The aesthetic side of it, the color part, is not too durable.

With the materials used in todays guns, surface hardening is not needed, so the surface colors are strictly one option in a short list of finishes.

If you can keep your hands off the colors, i.e., not wrapping your hand around the receiver as you walk between traps, the color will be okay. Handling the finish will be the kiss of death. Definitely not as durable as a good blue job.

It is not a hard fact, but the bulk of the evidence suggests that sunlight fades the colors, or at least speeeds it up.

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I once purchased an older MX8 with rather worn case hardening. A gunsmith used cold blue to touch up the worn areas then coated the entire receiver with a coating from Brownell's. Looked like new and absolutely beautiful. Shot over 100,000 targets with it then sold it. Still looked like new when I sold it.

milt

11. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

Before you make a decision, check out Turnbull Manufacturing Company. They do "old style" case color hardening. Beautiful work.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

There are several factors in the durability of the colors on a case hardened action. One factor is the material being treated. A prime example is the Parker Repro. This action is very hard so the colors penetrate very little. Therefore, it is not uncommon to see them mostly gone in just a couple of months of use. A coating of Gun Lock varnish (a lacquer, I believe) used in England will keep it looking like new for years.

13. WJN

WJN TS Member

On the functionality question - I was more interested in how the metal holds up or if the durability (protection) was better or worse then other. If I am understanding what you guys are saying the metal should be fine but the coloration acquired by the process might be affected fairly quickly, if not handled or treated properly. So the coloration will last longer if coated with lacquer.

Thanks again for the info - will help in any decision if color case hardening is part of the equation.

Jim

14. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The color will last longer than you will if properly maintained. I strip the factory varnish and recoat w/ model builder fuel proof poly. Practically bullet proof. I have yet to have to recoat anything I've sprayed the poly on.

Everything on a gun needs maintenance, just different kinds for different parts. So what's the big deal?

JMO of course YMMV

Charlie

15. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

[​IMG]

i had this done a year ago and is holding up well

ernie

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Ernie- Who did that, and what was the cost?

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I had a Perazzi case hardened receiver from Tim Shabel from Wenatchee done by Phil Filing at Glenrock Blue.

It was supposed to have been blued, but a communication error saw it re-case hardened. When I got it back, it had to be the best damn case hardening job I'd ever seen. It was 10X nicer than the original Perazzi factory job.

I wanted Tim to send me a photo of the receiver because I forgot to take a pic when I shipped it out. Maybe someone can tap him for a photo to post here.

I had a customer call last week from Wenatchee and he'd seen that receiver and was also shocked to see such a fantastic job. I do know that Tim was thrilled 10 times over.

It has some gray in it that really made all the different case coloring stand out.

It was the second time I'd had a case hardened receiver redone. The first one was for a Jack James down South. We had it blued thinking the bluing would vary in color due to the original case hardening. Not true. Glenrock Blue did a fantastic job on it, so much so that Jack was extremely pleased.

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Originally, case hardening was meant to harden the surface of the metal to which it was applied. I remember once in the Gun Rooma at at Abercrombie and Fitch many years ago, their leading gun expert took a file and struck it against the action of a case hardened high-grade British gun to show me that it would not make a mark. It didn't.

He also told me that this hardeninmg effect is on the surface only and it penetrates only a few thousandths of an inch, depending on the original hardness of the metal to which it was applied. With advancements in metalurgy, I believe that now it is used primarily for the colors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
case color hardening
case colour hardening
case hardening color

case hardening gunsmiths in missouri

case hardening in amarillo tx

color case hardening

color case hardening amarillo tx
color case hardening durability