1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonial vs Briley

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tonygrz, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

I want to install choke tubes on a new to me shotgun and use it only for informal skeet. I checked both companies and Colonial is half the price of Briley. I would like some advice as to which company to go with.

Thanks for your replies.

Tony

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I only have the Briley's and consider them excellent, so much so that in the future they will be the only chokes I would buy. They were factory installed in my Ljutic Pro 3 LTX. Throw beautiful patterns on paper and absolutely destroy targets. I have had less pleasing results with others.

If you are going to use the gun for skeet only, why not just have the fixed choke opened. Marc

3. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Have you checked out what Carlson and/or Trulock has to offer?

TLM

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And Wright's

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tony, let me ask you this question. Now if you buy the cheaper ones and start shooting them. How long would it take before you would start to question how many more targets you might be breaking if you bought the better chokes??? After you truthfully answer that question, you can go out and order the chokes you want to buy. Break-em all. Jeff

6. BigM-Perazzi

Gee, Jeff, somehow I suspect you don't use anyone's but Brileys.
    Nice, but overhauled. Colonial, trulock, Wright, Carlson all make extremely quality products without the "name" baggage price.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Under this question, you'll have to ask what's the subject barrel?

I see very little reason you want to spend the same amount of money as your 870 or 1100 barrel to have it choked by Briley.

Then, there's something wrong with the picture if you have over the shelf cokes in your SS.

8. Pull & Mark

BigMP, I did not attach anyone's name to the cheap choke or the better choke. You did that!!! Maybe "YOU" Think that Briley is the better choke!!! All I have ever done is buy a few more chokes made by the same company that made the chokes that came with my gun. That way they all matched, so now I look real good when I miss targets. I did this because I could not afford a gun with lots of gold on it. LOL. break em all Jeff

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I don't think its so much of a thing as to who the manufacturer is as it is to finding the proper restriction of the choke to the barrel diameter.

The one thing I would recomend is extended choke tubes.

10. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Thanks for all replies. The gun is an Iver Johnson O/U made by Marochii (sp) and I'll be using it for informal skeet and hunting dove and quail. I'll probably go with Colonial and get three choke tubes - S1, S2 and LM. It's presently choked F/M with a 26" brl.

Thanks again,

Tony

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Tony,

If I remember right, the longest shot in skeet is approx. 20~22 yards, cyl. skeet choke is enough. At this distance, expensive chokes wouldn't make much difference if any.

12. Bueno

Bueno Member

Just get one Muller #2 choke tube for $75 that will do the job of those other three, and you will save time, money and barely missed targets.
    You can thank me later.

13. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

First you need to know which choke you shoot best with.some say choke for smoke,but I say do that -then backoff one constriction from smoke for chances sake.Most aftermarket brands have improved geometry in them to police up the 5-7pct flyers in the pattern,and end up being a little tighter than whats marked on them.ive only noticed perhaps a more thorough grinding up of the target with carlsons,brileys,colonials than the factory chokes .But that could be just me.
    when your on," your on " as they say, you may yeild 1 extra bird by this upgrade if you beleive in it.

14. BigM-Perazzi

Sorry Jeff, I read it as you were discrediting the less expensive options available.

15. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Why would you bother at all. Just have a smith change chokes to skeet and be done with it. The3 gun ain't worth the cost to do it.

16. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Have had Good Luck with Both...and Yes there is a Price Difference. I consider the Price point of gun set...not the choke price. I try not to have more in the chokes than the Gun. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

This is where I would begin thinking about spending at least (Briley would be much more) $150+ or so to ship and have choke tubes installed in a perfectly good "as is" pheasant hunting gun (26" full/mod)...rationalizing about using the "choke tube" money to treat myself to another shotgun to shoot skeet and doves....say, a nice 20 ga. of some sort (870?). Putting another $150 or so with the money required for chokes would get you there. Can't have too many toys...think about it...you deserve it. Best Regards, Ed

18. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have had barrels with Colonial and Briley tubes installed. Also have Carlson installed tubes in a 20 ga. Would rank Carlson's work closer if not equal to Briley's.

19. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Do not waste the money just have the barrels opened up the choke you want

20. Pull & Mark

BMP, I was only tring to convey the point about "Thinking". If one believes one choke is better, or one gun is better, or one shell is better, than he/she will believe they are shooting better when they use that choke or whatever. I also did not realize until today that Tony was not just buying chokes, but also having a company drill his barrels to install the chokes as well. I'm sure Colonial will do a nice job for him. I also agree with you as the companies you mentioned will all do nice work as well. Just as everyone can make a mistake. Now what the company will do after they make a mistake is what counts if your sending them a high dollar or a irreplacable type of gun. He does not have either of these type of guns so its a mute point. Good Luck with the gun Tony and break em all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley versus colonial chokes

brlieys dove buster vs lm choke

colonial choke tubes

colonial chokes

colonial shotgun chokes

colonial vs briley tubes

compare colonial chokes