1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonial Arms chokes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by switznd, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. switznd

switznd TS Member

My Dad just picked up a Rem 3200 that has screw in chokes made by Colonial Arms. Until today I have never heard of these.

Are they decent? Compared to Briley?

Are they interchangeable with any Briley produced chokes?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Nick S

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've used them in my sporting guns and they seen entirely satisfactory though I never really formally patterned them...for the money them and the old Hastings were a pretty decent deal IMO

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Used them for years.. no issues...

4. krony2

krony2 Member

PM sent....

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The only choke tube I've had blow out the barrel. Soft and cheap. If you drop one...pitch it. A dented choke tube can cause a kaboom.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Colonial chokes are the bottom of the barrel. Many reports of chokes blowing out the barrel (as the one above illustrates). The tru-choke design (which is what colonial uses in their factory installations) is a cheapie solution to aftermarket screw choke barrels too thin for other chokes, but its not even close in quality to Briley thinwall threading or chokes.

If the gun is threaded for tru-chokes (which is what colonial would have threaded them for), and has colonial brand chokes, I'd throw them in the trash and buy ones from Briley, Trulock, or Carlson for the tru-choke thread pattern. You'll be happier with them in the long run.

Actually, if the gun is something that is intended to be kept for a long time, it might be worthwhile to send the gun to briley, have them ream the barrels for THEIR thinwall chokes (if there's enough metal left), and go from there. That would be far and away the best bet if it makes financial sense for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

colonial chokes on 3200

colonial arms thinwall choke tubes

colonial thin wall threads